FormalAddress

da
dafu
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:00 pm Post

Hi! Dave Fultz, long-term forum resident, here.

I’ve just released FormalAddress, software that will convert any free-form address from web pages, word documents, and the like to “formal” formats that can be easily imported by address books, spreadsheets, and databases.

If you have ever tried to copy and paste that vital research address into your address book and discovered the only thing that’s working is how quickly you’re tearing your hair out, you might like FormalAddress.

http://www.formal-address.com

There are two versions: the basic one will handle up to 10 contacts at once and the pro up to 1,000 addresses for all you book promotion aficionados.

Dave

Hu
Hugh

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:23 am Post

Great, Dave. Thanks.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Ve
Vermonter17032

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:31 pm Post

What an outstanding idea. I've been looking for something just like this. I don't suppose you have plans for a Windows version!

fg
fgrieser
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:51 pm Post

Steve.

There is an excellent tool for Windows called CopyContact that parses address information and imports it into Outlook, Lotus Notes, Excel or MS Dynamics CRM. It is written by an Austrian company but also supports American, British and Australian address formats.

I have used it for more than a year without any problems in Outlook 2007.

The only thing that might put you off: Development is very slow. But the software is really mature.

You can get a trial from http://www.loquisoft.com/index.php?page=7

Franz

da
dafu

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:46 pm Post

Vermonter17032 wrote:I don't suppose you have plans for a Windows version!

Thanks, I do! But the Mac App Store is next and then some more countries and then, eek, Windows.

Dave

da
dafu

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:56 pm Post

fgrieser wrote:There is an excellent tool for Windows called CopyContact

Well, I'll be derned! A competitor! This is the first true one I've heard-of in several years of looking on and off. Looks pretty good, too!

Dave

fg
fgrieser

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:57 pm Post

Sorry, Dave. I didn't think you planned a Windows version.

Franz

Ve
Vermonter17032

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:26 pm Post

Franz,

Thank you for the suggestion. While the price is not as attractive as with Dave's application, if it does as you claim, it will be worth it. I appreciate the tip! And if Dave comes out with a Windows version, I'm there.

Steve

fgrieser wrote:Steve.

There is an excellent tool for Windows called CopyContact that parses address information and imports it into Outlook, Lotus Notes, Excel or MS Dynamics CRM. It is written by an Austrian company but also supports American, British and Australian address formats.

I have used it for more than a year without any problems in Outlook 2007.

The only thing that might put you off: Development is very slow. But the software is really mature.

You can get a trial from http://www.loquisoft.com/index.php?page=7

Franz

da
dafu

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:19 pm Post

fgrieser wrote:Sorry, Dave. I didn't think you planned a Windows version.

Franz,

You needn't apologize. As a friend of mine just mentioned, "No competitors usually means no market for the product." So, finding one after all this time gives me hope. :D

Dave

da
dafu

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:23 pm Post

Vermonter17032 wrote:And if Dave comes out with a Windows version, I'm there.

On the other hand, if I hold off that frustration may actually lead you to buy a Mac so you can have both my app and Scrivener 2.1! 8)

Dave

fg
fgrieser

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:51 pm Post

Hi Dave.

You needn't apologize. As a friend of mine just mentioned, "No competitors usually means no market for the product." So, finding one after all this time gives me hope.

Fine, you see it this way.
I think there is more than plenty of room on the market for both products. Having used CC for quite a while, I'd say CC as well as your tool are more than worth their price (do you say so in English?). To put it the other way round: I think you could charge much more :-)

I wish you all the best.
Franz

da
dafu

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:10 am Post

fgrieser wrote:I'd say CC as well as your tool are more than worth their price (do you say so in English?).

Yes.

To put it the other way round: I think you could charge much more :-)

Franz, Vielen Dank! Auf ist besser! :)

Dave

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:41 am Post

Dave, I bought a copy a few days ago but apparently did not download it. Is there a way to check with the vendor to see if they charged PayPal? Or maybe I did not get a confirming e-mail from your vending service? Droo PS, Lion is now showing my previous copy as no longer operative.

da
dafu

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:03 am Post

druid wrote:Dave, I bought a copy a few days ago but apparently did not download it. Is there a way to check with the vendor to see if they charged PayPal? Or maybe I did not get a confirming e-mail from your vending service? Droo PS, Lion is now showing my previous copy as no longer operative.

1) You didn't download it.

2) You didn't pay for it.

3) According to the eSellerate gods, they have no idea who you are, so despite your best and splendid intentions, you received no email confirming your intention to buy.

4) Re: PS. Uh . . . I dunno.

I'm guessing it's those PayPal scoundrels. Sorry for the irritations, Droo. I'd suggest trying to buy it again. If you'd like to try buying 2 or 300 at once I'd be much obliged.

Dave

Ve
Vermonter17032

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:04 pm Post

dafu wrote:
Vermonter17032 wrote:And if Dave comes out with a Windows version, I'm there.

On the other hand, if I hold off that frustration may actually lead you to buy a Mac so you can have both my app and Scrivener 2.1! 8)

Dave

Sadly, this is out of my control, as I have to work on a PC at my office. For home/personal work, I do have a trusty MacBook.

Steve