Lion: First Impressions

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:45 pm Post

nom wrote:It is a 2-step process:
1. Select File->Duplicate; this will create a copy of the file (but does NOT save the new copy).
2. Select File->Save; this then acts the same as the old Save As command.
Not intuitive, nor (to my mind) helpful, but I guess it is all part of Apple's plan to move us away from a focus on files and folders.

At least you can still Command-Click the title of the document (above the toolbar) to see where it has been saved and Cmd-Click the containing folder in the displayed list to highlight the file in the Finder. This will allow you to go directly to your documents in Mail's download folder without having to get there via the Library through the Finder. I have always liked this trick…

Nom, many thanks; that's very helpful. It's annoying that they took away the file path at the bottom of a Finder window. Get Info displays the path, and Control-click will open the enclosing folder. Maybe it's just my old habits, but folders/files are crucial for my project-oriented work.

Tr
Tripper
Platform: Mac

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:30 pm Post

There is a 'bug' in Mail which does not change the fonts in the new landscape view but does in classic view.
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

Kh
Khadrelt

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:38 pm Post

So far I'm liking Lion. There are a couple of weird quirks, though. First, if icons are sorted by 'kind' in Icon View, folders are placed at the bottom—they used to be, and should be, on top. Arrgh.

Second, I can't make use of my Magic Trackpad without uninstalling USB Overdrive, which I can't do, because I use it so much. That is, of course, USB Overdrive's problem, not Lion's, but it's aggravating. No multitouch magic for me, I suppose.

Does anyone know what the "Browse in 'x' view" checkmark in the View Options is for? I can't really see what it does that "Always Open in 'x' view" doesn't already do.

druid: you can show the file path at the bottom of a window by selecting View: Show Path Bar.
And that, my Liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped.

dr
druid

Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:29 pm Post

Khadrelt wrote:druid: you can show the file path at the bottom of a window by selecting View: Show Path Bar.

Brilliant! And I also turned on View: Status Bar as well. Many thanks! (guess I should RTFI)

BTW, to all who say that text-selection clicks have not changed in Lion, thanks, but they sure have for me. Maybe it's something about my use of both a Magic Trackpad and a Magic Mouse, but I am getting a ton of strange behavior: If I rest the cursor on a link, the link opens. If I move the mouse in any direction, a bunch of text is selected. If I rest the cursor near or on a word, it gets selected...and then I can't escape the 1, 2, 3 selection-state-cycle unless I move away to another area.

I have tried adjusting the trackpad and mouse, but troubles persist. It could be that my grip on the mouse is interpreted as gestures, when none are intended. But....none of this trouble appeared until I installed Lion.

da
dafu

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:04 pm Post

druid wrote:I have tried adjusting the trackpad and mouse, but troubles persist.

Try unplugging one or the other for a while and see what happens.

Dave

dr
druid

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:21 pm Post

Hey Dave, thanks. I went to Apple Support Communities and found that you can use both a magic trackpad and mouse, but the tracking speeds need to be identical. I had one set higher than the other. The advice is:

When the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad are used together it is not possible to set the double-click speed independently.

If the trackpad is set to the highest speed the mouse will not double click. Lower the mouse speed and the trackpad becomes hypersensitive, producing inadvertent selection and dragging problems.

da
dafu

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:12 am Post

druid wrote:the tracking speeds need to be identical.

Sheesh! Makes sense but how long did it take someone to figure out that little mess?

Dave

In
InklingBooks

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:34 am Post

1. I may no longer store native Apple apps in an Applications sub-folder.
Try to move them, and the Finder only makes a copy of the app.
So, now the Apps folder is a mess, instead of 15 clearly labeled sub-folders.

This is the product of Apple culture. As quoted recently, Steve Jobs thinks "most people" are too stupid to understand folders, so Apple is trying to hide them (the now hidden user Library folder) or stuff them so full of files that a folder is worthless (what you talk about above). The silly 'all documents' smart folder in the Finder as Lion shipped is another example, as is Launch Pad's endless display of icons. All are attempts to do away with folders, at least from a user's perspective, and give us long lists and clumsy search apparatus.

Personally, in three decades of working with computers, I've never met anyone who didn't pick up what folders mean very quickly. It's finding what folder something is in that's a problem, and stuffing everything into fewer folders doesn't solve that problem. Since when we forget where something is, we often forget a file's name, doing away with folders only makes matters worse.

Every so often, Apple comes up with these dumb fads. For all too long, Macs shipped with single-button mice, for instance. It what happens when almost everyone who works for Apple works in one town and look up to a CEO who is also the founder. If we alternate between complaining about and ignore these silly ideas, and they may go away. It's what happened with the mice. Apple now has two-button mice, although it goes to great trouble to conceal that fact.

There is a workaround for this app folder problem, one I was already using as a way to organize my more popular apps. Put aliases to apps in those "15 clearly labeled sub-folders."

Yes, it's added work and completely unnecessary, since OS X is capable of knowing where an app is no matter where you put it.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:51 am Post

I had some pretty weird mouse related problems right after installing Lion as well, but different ones. The OS seemed to be incapable of determining where the mouse was, and reacting accordingly. There is a surprising amount of interactivity in the OS that relates to hovering; stuff you take for granted until all hovering is no longer registered. For example, clicking on a menu (rather than click and hold) ordinarily allows you to hover over sub-menu items to view them. For me that wasn't working, I had to click on the sub-menu to view it. Lots of things like that, such as mouse change effects when hovering over window borders. I finally got this problems fixed after a few reboots, so I'm not sure what was wrong.

By the way, here is a neat trick I discovered by accident. You've probably already noticed that you can finally resize a window from any frame edge. No need to move it and then resize it from the bottom-right (and repeat until you get it right, as may sometimes by the case). The trick I found is that if you hold down the Option key while resizing a window, it will expanding on both sides of the relevant axis. For example, if you start on the left side of the window and hold down Option, both the left and right sides of the window will expand outward so long as the Option key is held down. When added to a corner drag, the window will resize outward in all directions simultaneous. I'm finding this to be extraordinarily useful. So much so, I might not even go back to using windowing tools for resizing. I had been using a tool that let me resize from anywhere inside the window when holding down a key combination (and likewise to move the window). I'll probably still use the ability to put the mouse anywhere inside the window and move it---that's handy, but I really like the new vanilla resizing tools.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

AndreasE

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:17 am Post

From what I've seen in screencasts of OS X Lion, I guess I will miss Spaces a lot.

Although at first I didn't use Spaces at all, I've become a heavy duty user of them over the years.

I use 9 spaces, 3x3. The space in the middle (5) is my main working space, where I usually have Scrivener or Papyrus, working on the novel-in-progress. One switch upwards leads to space 2, where I keep the browser: to look something up, in Wikipedia, Google or elsewhere. One switch downwards leads to space 8, where Journler resides: to keep my journal of thoughts, ideas, events. The spaces to the left and right are for additional applications I might need (Finder, Preview, Tinderbox, whatever). The spaces in the corners are dedicated to specific applications: in space 1 (upper-left) I have iCal, in space 3 (upper-right) Mail, in space 7 (lower-left) DevonThink, in space 9 (lower-right) iTunes.

So, in the moment, everything I need is not more than two keys away. (Far more convenient than switching with alt-tab, BTW.)

As far as I see, to replace Spaces + Exposé with Mission Control would be a huge step backwards.

bargonzo
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:45 pm Post

AndreasE wrote:So, in the moment, everything I need is not more than two keys away. (Far more convenient than switching with alt-tab, BTW.)

AndreasE: I, too, have used Spaces more and more in recent times, and I miss the geographical layout options as well. However, to be fair, the new Mission Control does allow you to go to new spaces/desktops with only two motions: A three-finger swipe up and a click on the desktop you want will do it. Or, if you are a keyboard-only type of person, the default keyboard switch is "Command-#" (with # being the number of the space you wish to switch to). The swiping takes some getting used to.

I'm still hoping a 3rd-party vendor will re-create the old layout. On the upside, you can have a different picture for each desktop!
Imagine this very elaborate scientific lie: that sound cannot travel through outer space. Well, but suppose it can.

Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

AmberV

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:23 pm Post

I have a feeling that might not happen any time soon. Hyperspaces and a few other Spaces enhancement applications have announced that they will not be releasing on Lion. I get the impression that the hooks Apple used to make available are simply gone. Best hope then would be to look for true virtual desktop support from scratch. Too bad Spaces killed off most of the competition in that arena years ago. On the bright side Apple's taking over did elevate the feature into the minds of many, where before it was a bit of an obscure concept. So there might be a better platform of people who want something more like true virtual desktops again.

Mission Control is a nice improvement over Exposé, that's for sure, but I'm not seeing it as an improvement to Spaces (and I wasn't ever much of a fan of Spaces to begin with, though I love virtual desktops as an idea, never could find an implementation as slick as the ones available for Linux).
Ioa Petra'ka

be
ben_worthington

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:05 pm Post

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but a nice Lion feature I have found is this - double tap a word with three fingers and you get a nicely animated dictionary/wikipedia definition; no need to right click to launch Dictionary.

Br
Broken Thought
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:55 pm Post

ben_worthington wrote:Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but a nice Lion feature I have found is this - double tap a word with three fingers and you get a nicely animated dictionary/wikipedia definition; no need to right click to launch Dictionary.

I haven't got this to work. I don't know if the setting was just turned off on my machine or what.

Mission Control is neat, but I do miss Spaces a great deal.

When you go full screen that application gets its own space and it doesn't get a corresponding number for the desktop and the Ctrl+# is ineffective. Then, by default the OS will move your apps around, so whenever I had them where I wanted them, they all got moved around. I turned that option off as soon as I located it. I just might not get it, but Mission Control seems like a step backwards for me.

AmberV

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:32 pm Post

For those who don't care for some of Lion's arbitrary UI changes, Kirk McElhearn (author of Take Control of Scrivener 2) has posted an article on How to make Lion more like Snow Leopard.
Ioa Petra'ka