Daedalus for ipad

Ke
Ken Cunningham
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:47 am Post

I downloaded this on the weekend. Haven't really written much in it but so far, but from an interface perspective, its the nicest writing app I've tried on the ipad.

What is interesting is it's use of the paper stack metaphor to replace the normal file management systems used by other apps. This is especial interesting in-terms of the apple keynote yesterday, where apple reiterated it's stance that it is out to be ride of file systems as a way of managing documents.

Hard to say how this system would hold up to lots of documents, but it works simply, quickly and intuitively. Still have yet to really do any serious writing on the ipad, but as a device for notes and thoughts, it is useful.

Anyone else here tried it out yet?

IR
IRJH
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:03 am Post

I did.
http://uneulv.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/ ... orst-ever/

and current update still has dropbox trouble.

pl
planetscooter

Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:43 pm Post

I tried it. I stopped using it, though. I found the navigation between single notes too tedious when you have more than, say, three or so. And Daedalus seems to use strange characters to separate the title from the text, which cause trouble (text is lost!) when syncing back and forth with Scrivener. It also required a flat folder structure (only one level deep) too work, and requires to keep it's files in Daedalus' own folder on Dropbox.

IR
IRJH

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:27 pm Post

I hate it too, but actually just to be fair, you can have the stacks in whatever dropbox folder you choose, but then it is within that one folder after you made up your mind.
and it does not have to be "flat" you can choose as many subfolders as you like in terms of "subfolders" in the dropbox or just stack represented in daedalus.

Ro
RobertB

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:27 pm Post

I just wanted to post that, despite the previous posts for one of the older versions, Daedalus has really grown. I've been using it to work on a project that I have synced with an external folder in Scrivener and so far, so good. being able to sync on a Stack by Stack basis is a killer feature for me.

IR
IRJH

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:33 pm Post

currently the best iOS app for writing, has all needed features, no other app is that complete (but hard to sync with scrivener with several projects).

Th
The Credulous Mark

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:03 am Post

So Daedalus can sync with Scrivener now without any problem? I agree that it is the coolest app for writing on the iPad. But doesn't Daedalus still have a problem with the way it handles titles? It seems to change the title of the saved plain text files, as well as to add the title (and weirdo symbols) to the file itself. I would LOVE to commit to Daedalus. How do you handle this issue?

Ro
RobertB

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:57 am Post

I haven't noticed any syncing issues or weird issues with titles. I just synced everything over from Scrivener and then pointed a stack at it in Daedalus. I've synced both ways with edits and no issues so far. Maybe they fixed the issues?

Th
The Credulous Mark

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:14 am Post

I'm glad it works for you! There must be hope for me then. But I tried it after the latest update, and the title of each section was included as the first line of the document, following by something like {%$------- . I'm not sure why. You didn't see any of that when you opened the files in Scrivener?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:49 am Post

I have no problems with the new version of Daedalus either. It's quite nice! I turned on the button row and added (( .. )) {{ .. }} sets so that it is easy to add Scrivener annotations and footnotes; added some useful MMD stuff. Looks like it will be a nice Scrivener companion, assuming the issues described here are not widespread---I don't see anything like what you are describing with the changed names and weird character patterns in the file. Do they look that way on the disk prior to syncing, too?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Th
The Credulous Mark

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:01 am Post

After seeing these comments, I started to think there was a problem on my end. And I was right! I uninstalled, and reinstalled, Daedalus Touch, and now it works perfectly. Beautiful. For some reason it was still acting like it did before the updates. Since its behavior was no different than before, it didn't occur to me that I might need to reinstall it. Thanks everyone!

AmberV

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:39 am Post

Great! I'm happy to finally be able to add this to my list of recommended editors.
Ioa Petra'ka

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:15 pm Post

IRJH wrote:I did.
http://uneulv.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/ ... orst-ever/

and current update still has dropbox trouble.

I was going to read your post, but WordPress is asking for a log-in.

co
cor_stellae

Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:09 pm Post

AmberV wrote:I have no problems with the new version of Daedalus either. It's quite nice! I turned on the button row and added (( .. )) {{ .. }} sets so that it is easy to add Scrivener annotations and footnotes; added some useful MMD stuff. Looks like it will be a nice Scrivener companion, assuming the issues described here are not widespread---I don't see anything like what you are describing with the changed names and weird character patterns in the file. Do they look that way on the disk prior to syncing, too?

I bought Daedalus a few days ago, but I didn't try to sync it. I'm a complete MMD ignorant (I'm a bit lazy), but let me try to understand. Basically, if I use MMD codes (for bolds and italics, for example), when I open the document back in Scrivener it will immediately recognize the formatting I set in Daedalus?

AmberV

Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:13 pm Post

Oh, no. Maybe some day we'll find a good way to do that (there are some practical issues) but I write in MMD myself for everything, so I want the codes to come back in untouched. So for me, the way I write, I really like Daedalus' keyboard as it works very well for MMD.
Ioa Petra'ka