Launchbar and an urgent request.

Pr
Prion

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:27 pm Post

Martin

at the risk of stating the obvious: You did configure the hotkey for instant send (double fn or the like) in the Launchbar prefs under the "shortcuts" tab?

Prion

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:57 pm Post

Prion:

Yes, I did. The thread on their forum is here:

http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3560

Seems like a genuine problem with the OS thinking a key has been pressed when it hasn't. I'm no techie, but I think that's what they're saying.

Best, Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

da
dafu
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:16 pm Post

I think Launchbar is just the cat's pajamas! I've used it for years, now, and keep finding more things to do with it. You can, of course, not bother with any of its fancy stuff and get great use out of it but (and this will take a long period of use) once you start finding out all the nifty things it can do, it starts becoming indispensable. I find reading through the documentation every few months is very useful. For example, I set up a search template for Google Translate where I just type gtf (google translate french), hit the spacebar, type 'questionable' -return and whammo "contestable".

If you haven't tried Launchbar, try it.

Dave

P.S. Mark, if you have apps in the dock it may not be all that useful to force yourself to use Launchbar for them. Dragging a file down to an app icon may truly be easier than doing a Launchbar finger dance.

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:33 pm Post

One thing I found worth doing with Launchbar is compiling its Help as a pdf in Scrivener and printing it off*. Although the application itself is actually fairly straightforward, its Help - I found - could do with being "AmberV'd" like the Scrivener Manual; its atomistic treatment on the screen isn't the clearest. But a read-through from beginning to end on paper - and a paper reference thereafter - assisted understanding.

*There may be a more elegant way, but that's the route I took.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:33 pm Post

Thanks, Hugh. :)

Mark, if you have apps in the dock it may not be all that useful to force yourself to use Launchbar for them. Dragging a file down to an app icon may truly be easier than doing a Launchbar finger dance.

All opinion from a keyboard junkie, but I think once you get LB sufficiently trained with your abbreviations, it can become quite a bit more efficient than using the Dock. Most of my common applications are all down to single-letter recall these days, so sending a file to, say, TextMate, is as simple as Fn+Fn;t;Enter. Another thing that can help is Cmd-R, which returns a list of all running applications which you can then abbreviate off of; good for programs you don't use as much as it shortens the list of potentials. Cmd-R is also nice in that when using that mode, it opens up task management features, such as Cmd-Q to quit the program.

But, if you do like drag and drop, be aware you can drag items from an LB match as you would anything else from the Finder. If you select a file, you can drag and drop from the LB interface into the Dock to load it in an application. If you find this way of working useful, you might want to move the LB panel closer to the Dock.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ed
Eddie

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:20 pm Post

For those of you interested in launching applications (and more), here are some other options:
Application Wizard. Unobtrusive. Can Launch (or Quit) multiple applications simultaneously. Applications can be put together into custom groups. For example, I have groups for email, login items, Office, etc.
http://www.mabasoft.net/products/applicationWizard/

FinderPop
The only pintware application I know. Glad to see it under OS X.
http://www.finderpop.com/

WorkStrip
No longer developed, but still works under 10.5.8. I don't know about 10.6.x, though.
I never use the Dock, but I use WorkStrip. From simple stuff like having custom Trash icons and the Trash showing number of files and size, to having multiple custom workspaces, this is an incredible application. Reminds me a bit of the pre-OS X extensions strips, combined with a very powerful "Dock." I can, for example, view a list of my most recent applications, and they will show the most recent documents opened by each application. Older documents are also available since the list is also sorted by date, with each date having its own list of documents.
http://www.softchaos.com/products/ws3/ove.html

Just like LaunchBar, I've used these applications for years. Great stuff.