NeO is on sale

Ed
Eddie

Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:29 am Post

NeO's current price is already very low at $10, and until the end of February it is $4.99 at the App Store.

"NeO, the successor to TAO, is now released at Mac App Store. For TAO and beta version of NeO users who use them on MacOS X 10.6.6 or greater, NeO is sold in a discounted price until the end of February, 2011. We would be happy if you purchase NeO within this period. "

http://d-lit.com/en/html_main.html

I don't use the App Store or Snow Leopard, but NeO is quite good.

In
InklingBooks
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:33 am Post

I discussed this outliner with the Japanese developer before it was even called Tao. If you're looking for a very powerful outliner, you might want to look into it. It has the sorts of features 'pro' outliners love.

I've not used it for a while, since I now use Scrivener for my outlining, but I do remember that at one time when I compared it to OmniOutliner, Tao/NeO seemed better for text outlining and OmniOutliner for checklists, finances and that sort of thing.

Note too that there's an App Store version. The developer updates often, so you might want to get it there and let Apple worry about the updating.

Pa
Panicked

Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:59 pm Post

According to the App Store description NeO includes cloning! Wow, haven't seen that much since the old days of the classic, much-missed MORE outliner.

Cloning just means that an entry can appear in more than one place in the outline. You can do it in Tinderbox as well but I don't think you can in OmniOutliner or Inspiration. This is useful if you want to have both a chronological/linear list of scenes in your outline, but also (let's say) a grouping of all scenes related to a subplot. You can edit your scene in one part of the outline and it will be reflected in the clones elsewhere in the outline.

I haven't tried NeO but I might give it a shot just to play with it. Has anyone imported an outline from NeO into Scrivener?

Hu
Hugh

Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:17 pm Post

I've imported an outline into Scrivener from TAO, which was NeO's close predecessor. It was a while ago now, but as far as I can remember it exported in OPML, which I was then able to put through OmniOutliner and from there into Scrivener. Since then Scrivener has added OPML import*, so you'll be able to go direct.

As you say, NeO includes cloning, and various other features that OO currently lacks. (Omni's decision to delay its next major upgrade of OO in order to focus on its iPad applications was a source of frustration to some users.) The price that TAO and NeO pay for the extra functionality is some extra complexity.

* Performed by dropping the exported OPML file on Scrivener's Binder.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Ed
Eddie

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:15 pm Post

I agree with InklingBooks about OmniOutliner being better for some things.
I asked NeO's developer to include functions for operations with numbers, and to put a check mark on a parent item once all child items were checked. Hopefully these features (and more) will be available soon. (I have not used the latest copy yet, and don't know if they're already present.)
One disadvantage NeO has is its learning curve. OOP is much easier to use. Having said that, I haven't used OOP since I bought NeO a few months ago.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:19 pm Post

Eddie wrote: Having said that, I haven't used OOP since I bought NeO a few months ago.

I know I am slower than a box of dumb rocks (as opposed to being slower than a box of smart rocks as that would not be a fair comparison to the disadvantaged headless person), but is this last line seems to run counter to the intended message of the post. What am i missing?

No rocks of any IQ were harmed in the production of this message. There are a few dead horses that appear to have new contusions though…
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Ed
Eddie

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:09 am Post

Jaysen wrote:
Eddie wrote: Having said that, I haven't used OOP since I bought NeO a few months ago.

I know I am slower than a box of dumb rocks (as opposed to being slower than a box of smart rocks as that would not be a fair comparison to the disadvantaged headless person), but is this last line seems to run counter to the intended message of the post. What am i missing?

No rocks of any IQ were harmed in the production of this message. There are a few dead horses that appear to have new contusions though…

I'm not sure what you mean, but since English is not my native language I'll rephrase :)

OmniOutliner Pro (OOP) is indeed better than at some things. This may no longer be true if/when NeO is updated with new features. I know that some of my suggestions were going to be incorporated, and I'm sure others have also sent feedback to NeO's developer.

OOP is also easier to use than NeO.

In spite of OOP having some extra features and being easier to use, I have not used it since I bought NeO. Why?
- NeO is more powerful, so I'm investing time in order to learn how to use it, and I have been able to do with NeO everything I would do in OOP.
- NeO is evolving. I can't say the same about OOP.
- I like learning new software. (Bad habit, but good for the brain and after a traumatic brain injury in 1996, it helps to keep on learning new things :) )
- OOP doesn't use clones, and back when I bought NeO I was trying to do some stuff with clones.

After trying it I really liked it. For example, it also handles dates in text format, like "Next Tuesday" or "Tomorrow" which was something I liked with OOP. Formatting is easily done via Styles. It has Zoom (Full Screen) and a Split Editor.

Some old information can be found here:
http://www.atpm.com/11.10/atpo.shtml

I did try Tao (and FO Outliner) years ago, but back then I did not enjoy it and IIRC it was a bit expensive. To me NeO at $10 is rock-solid and a no-brainer (bad puns intended) :)

Jaysen

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:26 am Post

Eddie wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean, but since English is not my native language I'll rephrase :)

I did try Tao (and FO Outliner) years ago, but back then I did not enjoy it and IIRC it was a bit expensive. To me NeO at $10 is rock-solid and a no-brainer (bad puns intended) :)

You had me worried that you missed the humorous nature of my original reply.

For the record, your english is better than mine. And I only speak english and C/C++/perl/sed/awk/shell.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Skallegrim

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:48 am Post

Jaysen wrote:And I only speak english and C/C++/perl/sed/awk/shell.

Sorry to get personal, but which do you use when you whisper sweet nothings?
Write Your Novel in 30 Days—A 10-Step Guide:
9) Don't stop to research

why, oh why, didn't I listen to Garda?

Hu
Hugh

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:00 pm Post

Irrespective of Jaysen's sweet nothings, the NeO site appears to be dead.

Jaysen

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:53 pm Post

Skallegrim wrote:
Jaysen wrote:And I only speak english and C/C++/perl/sed/awk/shell.

Sorry to get personal, but which do you use when you whisper sweet nothings?

Chocolate. Eliminates the need for verbal communication.

;)
Jaysen

ImageImage

Pr
Prion

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:16 pm Post

Hugh wrote:Irrespective of Jaysen's sweet nothings, the NeO site appears to be dead.

Not if you follow http://d-lit.com/macosx/neo_outliner/index.php

Hu
Hugh

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:51 pm Post

Cheers, Prion!

In
InklingBooks

Fri May 06, 2011 4:11 am Post

Those who didn't find NeO at the App Store can find this explanation at the developer's website:

Version 1.0.7 of NeO was released at Mac App Store, but a problem was found in it. We have once stopped distributing it and have already submitted the fixed version (1.0.8). We are sorry, but please wait for the next update at Mac App Store for a moment.

http://d-lit.com/macosx/neo_outliner/news.php

The post was undated, so there's no way to guess how soon it's likely to appear.

Those who like to play with it can download a trial version that's limited to twenty items here:

http://d-lit.com/macosx/neo_outliner/download.php

That same download page has the manual and an ACTA to NeO converter.

--Mike Perry, Seattle

Ed
Eddie

Sat May 07, 2011 7:29 am Post

It's worth mentioning that prices have increased, at least if you buy via their website. Still a bargain IMHO.