Ideas for "timeline-like" software for story planning?

Cjmiltko
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:30 pm Post

fgrieser wrote:>It looks like they ripped off scrivener's corkboard interface

Writers Cafe and Storylines had been around quite a while before Keith came out with Scrivener.

Franz

Actually, their emergence was nearly concurrent. I didn't realize that until you said this so I checked both sites.

Keith had a public beta out when they did. According to Keith's own post from 2006 regarding the other writing software at the time (blog post #40) neither writers cafe nor storylines were on his radar.

Zdnet reviewed writer cafe in 2007 and mentioned the story line feature.

So, it's not right to say it was around longer nor is it accurate for me to say what I said without recognizing the concurrent development.

Nevertheless, my idea about transforming the free form index card into a timeline (horizontal) and secondary (vertical which could be location or character or both) meta data scale is valid.

We just need to clone Kevin several times over so he can make my one button sync feature and timeline by free form index card layouts as well as the other brilliant feature requests floating around.

fg
fgrieser
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:02 pm Post

Hi.

>Actually, their emergence was nearly concurrent. I didn't realize that until you said this so I checked both sites.

"Nearly concurrent"? I bought a license for Storylines 1.x for Windows in 2003. The LitLatte forum started in the second half of 2005 (I registered in November). That may be "nearly concurrent" for the General Sherman Tree in Sequoia National Park (about 2500 years old) but not for me :-)

Franz

Cjmiltko

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:37 am Post

fgrieser wrote:Hi.

>Actually, their emergence was nearly concurrent. I didn't realize that until you said this so I checked both sites.

"Nearly concurrent"? I bought a license for Storylines 1.x for Windows in 2003. The LitLatte forum started in the second half of 2005 (I registered in November). That may be "nearly concurrent" for the General Sherman Tree in Sequoia National Park (about 2500 years old) but not for me :-)

Franz

Hah! well, it still looks like they ripped it off! :P

I was looking at writers cafe and didn't realize that the previous incarnation was called storylines. By what they have on their website, writers cafe and scrivener emerged in 05. Thus my comment.

Doesn't the free form card view being adapted to have a scale sound like a good idea?

cheers!

fg
fgrieser

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:25 am Post

Cjmiltko wrote:
fgrieser wrote:Hah! well, it still looks like they ripped it off! :P

I was looking at writers cafe and didn't realize that the previous incarnation was called storylines. By what they have on their website, writers cafe and scrivener emerged in 05. Thus my comment.

In fact, the software you referred to in your initial post was Storylines. And that has been around at least since 2003. Writers Cafe originally was a collection of several writer's tools, including Storylines. Now, Writers Cafe Desk and Storylines seem to have been integrated into one package.

Maybe you should look up in a dictionary what "rip off" really means before making such a defamatory statement.

Franz

Cjmiltko

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:23 pm Post

fgrieser wrote:
Cjmiltko wrote:
fgrieser wrote:Hah! well, it still looks like they ripped it off! :P

In fact, the software you referred to in your initial post was Storylines. And that has been around at least since 2003. Writers Cafe originally was a collection of several writer's tools, including Storylines. Now, Writers Cafe Desk and Storylines seem to have been integrated into one package.

Maybe you should look up in a dictionary what "rip off" really means before making such a defamatory statement.

Franz

Look. I'm sorry. I thought it'd have been clearer that I was being facetious but I failed to make it plumb obvious. Please excuse me.

igregor
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 pm Post

I posted an approach to using Writer's Cafe Storyline awhile ago (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7132&start=0&hilit=timeline). Might be of use/interest to those who are considering WC.

Since then I have moved onto BeeDocs (very slick and due an update soon) and Aeon (best of the bunch for Scrivener-ites now that Matt is back at it). My recent 3 week excursion into Tinderbox (which has unmatched functional capabilities and an exceptional timeline feature) proved a bust due to my unwillingness to cope with its cumbersome user interface (way too much coding for my taste).
-- iGregor

fg
fgrieser

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:56 pm Post

Cjmiltko wrote:Look. I'm sorry. I thought it'd have been clearer that I was being facetious but I failed to make it plumb obvious. Please excuse me.

Oh, I didn't realize that you had made a joke. Sorry.

Franz

BTW: I had to look up "facetious" myself :-)