Check out the new MacUpdate bundle

Cadence
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:25 am Post

Description at Mac App Deals
The MacUpdate bundle page (there's a flash movie describing the bundle)

For 49.99 USD you can get:
1Password
MacFamilyTree
DEVONthink
Flux
Default Folder X
Art Text + Fonts
Swift Publisher
Chronoroes
Interarchy
Typinator

Keep in mind that:
...some of these apps might have pro versions, so check if this deal is really what you need before spending your hard-earned $$$. For instance, I own DEVONthink Pro Office, which I suspect is not the version offered here.
...some of you may already be using alternatives, such as TextExpander instead of Typinator. Or RapidWeaver instead of Flux.

I personally use the following: DEVONthink (the pro office version), 1Password, Default Folder X. And I considered buying Flux (109 USD !) and MacFamilyTree. I heard people here use Typinator (I use an alternative, TextExpander). I don't know the rest of the bundle's apps - Interarchy, Swift Publisher, Art Text + Fonts, and Chronoroes.

But still, this is (at least, seemingly) one of the better deals I've cast my eyes upon recently. :wink:

(EDITED).
Cady.
Procrastination Dominatrix, Duchess of Delayshire, & Lady Protector of the Brown-throated Three-toed Sloth.

Kh
Khadrelt
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 pm Post

It's DEVONthink Personal.
And that, my Liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped.

Br
Broken Thought
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:02 am Post

I just bought them. I didn't have any of the apps but been meaning to try out a few. Thanks for the heads-up.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:46 am Post

1Password and Typinator alone will probably make the whole bundle worth it in my opinion. The stripped down version of DT would be nice for modest research collection needs, too. As for the rest, I'm not terribly familiar with any of them. Default Folder kind of looks interesting, functionally speaking. That interface is way out of control too big though for my taste. I wonder if it has options or themes.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

xiamenese

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:49 am Post

The only one of them that interested me was 1Password, and the bundle cost doesn't really make sense just for that one.

I have Swift Publisher, got much earlier in the hope that I could use it instead of InDesign CS1, as my layout needs are not that demanding, though at times currently more than NWP can do — floating text-boxes for instance — but found that it went haywire on more than about 6 pages. You can do all that I need more reliably in Pages, though I don't find that as intuitive as NWP ... so roll on text-boxes in NWP.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.2, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

da
dafu

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:46 am Post

Interarchy is a first-rate FTP client. Flux is a young but serious contender to Dreamweaver. Both of these are not really for idle users, though, they're rather industrial-strength. But since the bundle is one third the price of the two of them together, heh! Why not?

Dave

PJ
PJS

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:47 am Post

I have Chronories, almost by accident. I downloaded an early version, made a few suggestions, and found myself a beta tester. It's quirky; if you're accustomed to other journaling aps, you may wonder what the hell all the other stuff is for, but I like it.

It's simple, once you get the hang of it, and sits quietly in the menu bar until wanted. Worth a look, if you've not already made a deep personal commitment to MacJournal.

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

Cadence

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:22 am Post

Hi again :)

Regarding Default Folder X:

AmberV wrote:Default Folder kind of looks interesting, functionally speaking. That interface is way out of control too big though for my taste. I wonder if it has options or themes.

Yup you can change the app's look. There are 3 theme variations available.
Attachments
05_dfx_graysidebar.jpg
Gray sidebar theme (the red arrows are pointing at the interface)
05_dfx_graysidebar.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
04_dfx_blacktoolbar.jpg
Black toolbar theme (the red arrows are pointing at Default Folder X's interface)
04_dfx_blacktoolbar.jpg (40.98 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
03_dfx_blackbezel.jpg
Black bezel theme (see "OpenMeta Tags" option below? You can choose instead "Spotlight comments")
03_dfx_blackbezel.jpg (44.6 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
Last edited by Cadence on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cady.
Procrastination Dominatrix, Duchess of Delayshire, & Lady Protector of the Brown-throated Three-toed Sloth.

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:52 am Post

For me, the best thing about Default Folder is that if you have a Finder window open in the background, you can just click over where it is, and the Open and Save dialogue box switches to that window. It used to frustrate me no end to try to save something, and then spend an age navigating to some folder that I could actually see open in the Finder behind the application I was using. With Default Folder you can go there with a single click. I'd buy it just for that!

Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

Pr
Prion

Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:39 pm Post

mbbntu wrote:For me, the best thing about Default Folder is that if you have a Finder window open in the background, you can just click over where it is, and the Open and Save dialogue box switches to that window. It used to frustrate me no end to try to save something, and then spend an age navigating to some folder that I could actually see open in the Finder behind the application I was using. With Default Folder you can go there with a single click. I'd buy it just for that!

Martin.

I hear what you say but if you see that window it should not be too hard to grab the icon to the left of its title and drag and drop it to the open or save dialog. I used to navigate for ages opening folder after folder until I realized that a simple drag and drop saved me literally minutes.

Default Folder X may be another step up in convenience by my solution works for me and is free :wink:

Prion

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:06 pm Post

Hey, you have the same wood panelling desktop background that I do. :)

Thanks for all those screenshots. The third one definitely looks better to me.

For me, the best thing about Default Folder is that if you have a Finder window open in the background, you can just click over where it is, and the Open and Save dialogue box switches to that window. It used to frustrate me no end to try to save something, and then spend an age navigating to some folder that I could actually see open in the Finder behind the application I was using. With Default Folder you can go there with a single click. I'd buy it just for that!

By the way, you could always drag items into a save dialogue in OS X vanilla---going all the way back 10.2 I believe. In the very earliest versions of Mac OS X, your statement was 100% accurate and *extremely* annoying. I can't believe you've been living that way all these years. :)

If you drag a folder in; that is where you're session will be navigated to. If you drag a file in, it will also automatically set the target filename to be identical, so you can quickly overwrite.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ex
exegete77

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:21 pm Post

I already have 1Password, DevonThink Pro, and TextExpander. So this doesn’t hold much interest for me. Now, if I had not already purchased these, then the bundle really does make sense.

Pr
Prion

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:24 pm Post

Didn't I say just that? But it can't hurt to hear it twice and admittedly in better wording.

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:13 am Post

AmberV wrote:By the way, you could always drag items into a save dialogue in OS X vanilla---going all the way back 10.2 I believe. In the very earliest versions of Mac OS X, your statement was 100% accurate and *extremely* annoying. I can't believe you've been living that way all these years.

I had absolutely no idea that you could do that. Amazing what you can miss -- but then I never used to frequent forums like this. And it has to be said that this one is easily the most useful I've ever come across. But perhaps my failure to learn this useful wrinkle may in part be due to the fact that I originally worked on a PowerBook 180 in Word 5. Old dogs don't always discover new tricks, and you adapt to working with a small screen. I came to OS X rather late, because I couldn't afford to upgrade, so I guess I just carried on with what I knew. But Default Folder does have one useful trick, in that you don't even have to be able to see the Finder window in order to summon it to your Open and Save dialogue -- Default Folder will bring up a darkened area when you hover the pointer over where it is hidden behind all the other windows. Now don't tell me you can also do that in OS X!

Many thanks for the information,
Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

Ed
Eddie

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:39 am Post

Cadence wrote:Yup you can change the app's look. Here is a screenshot of the 3 theme variations available

I'll just add that support by Jon is excellent. When version 4 came out the thing I disliked was the interface. I suggested having alternatives and IIRC I used KeyCue as an example since it has a few themes. A couple of weeks later Default Folder gave users some theme variations.
I've used Default Folder for over 10 years. I got it originally in a bundle with BeHierarchic and AliasMenu, but those are now discontinued.