Watch out.

Le
Levi-Taggart

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:44 pm Post

If I were Scrivener, I'd be watching Atomic Scribbler closely. It has the potential to explode into something huge. That's the competition, and I'd be actively looking to squash them before it turns into a giant monster you can't kill. I'm always looking to check out different software (mostly the free ones) and A.S. seems to stand apart from the crowd. You mention them in the useful links you have down below the site. Now, it's only my opinion, but I wouldn't give them ANY kind of free promo. I'd be afraid that it would creep up and bite me on the ass somewhere down the line.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:08 am Post

Hmm.... You have seven posts, all but one of which mentions A.S. in some way. So are you saying we should ban you?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Le
Levi-Taggart

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:37 am Post

Ban me then. I just wasted my money buying Scrivener.

Ki
Kinsey

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:36 pm Post

Curious, I just had a look at Atomic Scribbler's website, and read the developer's blog post as to how its development came about. He says the following:

'Where PageFour was a generalist product, aiming to satisfy all types of users working on all sorts of projects, Atomic is solely for novelists and short story writers. Academic writers should find something else. Business writers should find something else. Ditto journalists, personal information manager enthusiasts, speech writers, screen writers, and any other kind of writer. Atomic Scribbler has character. Instead of trying to please 90% of writers some of the time, I built it to please 10% of writers all of the time. If you’re a super-user, it’s not for you. If you want features it doesn’t have, it’s not for you.'
https://www.atomicscribbler.com/Blog/Post/WhyAtomic/

Admirable bluntness, I suppose, but as someone who is neither novelist nor short story writer (and Mac user to boot), obviously not for me.

One of the very best things about Scrivener is that it has such huge flexibility and in-built power, yet makes it easy for people to simply write if that's all they want to do. The last year or two has seen a lot of feature requests made here on the forums, some of which, it seems to me, would alter Scrivener in pretty fundamental ways. I hope that Keith continues to adopt the 'Snow Leopard' approach to Scriv3, because it's pretty close to perfect as is.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:32 pm Post

Rob Yellow wrote:Ban me then. I just wasted my money buying Scrivener.
Scrivener has a 30 day trial policy. Why would you buy it without trying it first?
I’m just a customer.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:33 pm Post

Another funny thing is that there is an active forum member on the Atomic Scribbler forum pretty much doing the same thing: creating a bunch of different posts in rapid order, most of which bring up Scrivener, and how they are upset that they wasted money on Atomic Scribbler and how they wish they’d found Scrivener sooner, or something… sometimes, there is no consistency here or there. In fact that account has a temporary ban for bad behaviour.

I’m not saying Rob Yellow is the same Rob over there getting accused of the same thing in reverse: shilling for Scrivener, it is merely an interesting coincidence. :mrgreen:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:34 pm Post

Rob Yellow wrote:Ban me then. I just wasted my money buying Scrivener.

Why did you start posting at all? Why ”earn” L&L if you don’t like their software?
Your behaviour doesn’t make sense to me.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

AmberV

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:07 pm Post

For the record, the user has asked to have their details removed from the system and their account closed, which we have done.
Ioa Petra'ka

Ki
Kinsey

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:10 pm Post

Ioa, the user's posts still appear but under a different name, which may or may not be a real name? I don't know how the system works, that may be a default setting. Thought I'd flag it, just in case

AmberV

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:05 pm Post

That is as intended. It may be a real name, but in this case it came out of the Name Generator. ;)
Ioa Petra'ka

Ki
Kinsey

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:22 pm Post

:D

Nightmarian
Platform: Windows

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:47 pm Post

To be bluntly fair, Scrivener doesn't have any real competition. There are other writing tools/platforms with a focus on novels, but none like Scrivener. Novlr, for example, doesn't let you just pay and own the program and from what I can tell forces you to be online.

That's kind of problematic. It's already annoying enough that the Windows version of Scrivener is treated like a second-class outing (whether intentionally or not is unimportant) and will probably perpetually remain behind in updates/features. I'd be nice to have a Windows-first alternative.

I mean, we're approaching the six-month mark after the delay while Mac users have been enjoying Scrivener 3 for some time now. Unfortunately, I love Scrivner too much to do anything but just sulk and deal with it, but I feel that many would probably jump switch in a true competitor for Windows emerged. Or, at the very least, it would force Latte to put more effort into the Windows version (More than the "equivalent" effort they supposedly say they have going on despite blatantly inequivalent results).