Hook, a new file-linking application

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:02 am Post

I just read this article by Brett Terpstra (who will be known to some of you as the developer of nvALT, and a prolific blogger on Mac stuff). From his description (I haven't used the application myself yet) Hook seems like a very interesting solution to a problem that I think a lot of us have -- how to keep track of all the material that is related to a project, or even a small task. Of course, you can already do some of this in Scrivener itself, of perhaps using DEVONthink, but there always seem to be cases when this doesn't quite work, and using DEVONthink is not to everyone's taste (it is a big program, and perhaps expensive for the average student or struggling writer). Anyway, have a look at the article and perhaps try out the software (it is in Beta) to see if it might help you. I shall certainly try it myself.

https://lifehacker.com/connect-your-files-across-applications-with-hook-1832357024
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

auxbuss
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:01 pm Post

I've been keeping an eye on Hook. It certainly looks interesting. I haven't tried it yet, mainly because it's not been priced (post-beta), and I don't want to get into only to find that it's overpriced, or worse, subscription-only.

If you have given it a trial, please post your findings. I'm certainly interested in hearing more.

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:41 am Post

I've installed the beta, but unfortunately I've been so busy that I haven't really been able to test it yet.

An email went out from the developer with a link to proposals about pricing which suggested they will be looking at different "levels" at different prices -- about $30 for the top "Pro" version -- and an annual "top-up" at a lower price if you want a year of upgrades and Pro support. You wouldn't have to buy the upgrades and the program would keep on working. (I hope I've reported all that correctly. These seem to be early days, so I suppose there might be some change depending on feedback.)

I'm not at all keen on the annual payment, which has put the brakes on me a bit. But I have also been wondering what the app would give me personally, considering I am a DEVONthink user -- I can dump pretty much anything in a database and use UUID links to make a sort of wiki if I want. There is also the possibility of using tags as a way of connecting things, though it is not quite the same as using Hook, which will connect one file to another single file, if that is what you want.

Anyway, thus far I haven't really thought of a case in which I *need* Hook, but I haven't really been able to give it much time. But for what I do, DEVONthink might be all I need. And DEVONthink works in iOS as well as Mac ...
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

de
derick

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:37 am Post

Until they get an iOS solution it’s not going to hold much appeal. Looked at the site today but decided not to download it.