Quick question: University of Oregon

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:43 am Post

Folks, especially academics and Oregonians (if that's the right word),

I have a student who may have the possibility of doing an MA at the University of Oregon. Being from the other side of one pond, and living on the other side of the other pond, I know nothing about it as a university, and only what I've gathered from these forums about Oregon itself. If any of you have any comments that you think I could or should pass on to my student, then I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Many thanks,
Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Ni
Niran

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:33 pm Post

I spent 5 days in Eugene in September. I was pleasantly surprised - the people were very polite and friendly. I loved the huge trees. There was an open air market on Saturday - I had my first and only carton of raspberries for the season, listened to some music and saw university kids everywhere. This market was the only one that I have seen give metal forks with the food (you were supposed to return the forks for cleaning) The hotel was located near a park - the park runs along the river and traverses the length of the city, so biking anywhere close to the park should not have been a problem. Well that pretty munch sums up my knowledge of Eugene.
Last edited by Niran on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ho
howardtheduck

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:23 pm Post

Does he work on Chinese culture? I have a colleague who did his PhD there in that field and he seems to have liked it a lot. West Coast of the US is fantastic and very high quality of life (and Eugene/Oregon is relatively cheap). Lefty, smallish university city--lots of hippy, punk, bike people (also a few rightwing and anarchist gun-nuts) and as I recall a good farmers market.

Th
Thequietone

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:36 pm Post

Its where they film all the Zombie movies and similar splatterfests.

Whether or not thats a good thing for your student is a matter of debate.

Paul
I do not lie except all the time.

kl
klcorridon

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:37 pm Post

We moved to Eugene 2 1/2 years ago. Lovely city, not too big, but big enough to have the sorts of things for which we need cities. The cost of living is lower than it was for us in SW Colorado.

The public transportation system is very good, the campus is walking distance from Saturday Market downtown, and the river. It's certainly the most bicycle-friendly place I've ever lived, I've put 3k miles on the bike I bought when I moved here.

The University of Oregon is seen as a desirable school, enrollment goes up every year. The Maple Garden on Alder St. is my favorite chinese restraunt.

The local free rag: http://www.eugeneweekly.com/
The daily paper: http://www.registerguard.com/web/news/index.csp
Saturday Market: http://www.eugenesaturdaymarket.org/
Farmer's Market (across from Saturday Market): http://lanecountyfarmersmarket.org/
I may be an Idiot, but I'm no Fool...
For Maura, 4/7/59-11/21/09... My Muse, my Heroine, my Editor, my Patron. All that I have achieved as a writer is because of her.

xiamenese

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:20 am Post

howardtheduck wrote:Does he work on Chinese culture? I have a colleague who did his PhD there in that field and he seems to have liked it a lot. West Coast of the US is fantastic and very high quality of life (and Eugene/Oregon is relatively cheap). Lefty, smallish university city--lots of hippy, punk, bike people (also a few rightwing and anarchist gun-nuts) and as I recall a good farmers market.

Actually, it's a "she", she's an English major, currently doing an MA in Interpreting here in Xiamen University. Very bright and has the makings of a very good interpreter if that's what she eventually decides to go for as a career ... she was the winner of the Mainland Final of the Cross-Strait Interpreting Contest earlier this year, and is due to go to Taiwan next month to take part in the Grand Final ... experience says that she'll be up against it there, 'cos young Taiwanese have certain advantages, like some of them having been to school in the US and therefore having English of native-speaker standard.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses so far. I'll pass them on.

Mark

Wock

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:57 pm Post

Beautiful place.

The one thing that takes some getting used to is the elevation.....
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:48 pm Post

Wock wrote:The one thing that takes some getting used to is the elevation.....
Here we go! :( Typical wassack. It`ll be: oxygen starvation; blurred vision; nose bleeds; voices inside the head; hallucinations and dodgy/shifty looking Portlandes lurking on every corner. A typical Job`s Comforter, is our winged wonder.tch! tch! jeezzz :(
vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Wock

Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:30 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Wock wrote:The one thing that takes some getting used to is the elevation.....
Here we go! :( Typical wassack. It`ll be: oxygen starvation; blurred vision; nose bleeds; voices inside the head; hallucinations and dodgy/shifty looking Portlandes lurking on every corner. A typical Job`s Comforter, is our winged wonder.tch! tch! jeezzz :(
vic

Sounds like a night after you have been drinking your "green" liquor. :-)
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Ca
Carradee

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:43 pm Post

No comment on Eugene, I'm afraid, and my experience with Chinese is limited, but I know that for Spanish speakers, their accent with English improves when they open their jaws more.

Just a thought. :)
Wanna hydroplane?
--My brother (while driving)

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:55 am Post

Mark, I have many friends who teach at Eugene, I was a guest lecturer there, and I've sent students there for graduate study. The U of Oregon is an outstanding American university, and it is especially welcoming to students from China.

If not forbidden these days, go to the school web site: http://www.uoregon.edu/. Enter "Chinese" as a search term, and you'll see a wealth of resources.

The community is attractive, with mountains and sea coast near by, in opposite directions. If you want any more specific (and informed) advice, please contact me via PM.

xiamenese

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:48 am Post

Thanks again, all ... including the vic-k - Wock banter. And especially druid for the kind of comment I really need. ;-) As I say, I'll pass on the information. The only thing that concerns me about very Chinese-friendly universities anywhere, is that the Chinese students end up forming a kind of ghetto and only mixing with their fellow-countrypeople, which to my mind defeats a significant part of the purpose of going to study abroad. I spent yesterday afternoon with a student who has just returned from an MA in Interpreting at the University of Bath -- generally thought to be the best, or at least the most desirable, department in that field in the UK -- and she was echoing that sentiment, which I've also heard from other overseas returned students.

Still Oregon, Eugene, University of Oregon sound like good things, so I'll give it my push ... and no, druid, the website is not blocked.

:-)
Mark

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:00 am Post

I hear there might be an opening in Wall SD.

;)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

xiamenese

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:29 am Post

Jaysen wrote:I hear there might be an opening in Wall SD.

;)

I humbly suggest that the student in question would be temperamentally unsuited and over-qualified for the vacancy in Wall SD.
:D

Mr X

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:20 am Post

xiamenese wrote:The only thing that concerns me about very Chinese-friendly universities anywhere, is that the Chinese students end up forming a kind of ghetto and only mixing with their fellow-countrypeople, which to my mind defeats a significant part of the purpose of going to study abroad.

The bigger the school, the more likely that will happen. But smaller schools may not have the best set of resources.

Another problem: if they enjoy life too much in the USA, they don't go home. Less likely to happen these days, with the job market so rotten!