How to beat depression

bobueland

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:00 pm Post

As soon as you are aware of depressing thoughts make a list of 15 things you can do to go into real depression. Then do the opposite. Here's an example of a list I did a while ago:
- Lie down in bed and refuse to do anything.
- Eat chocolate and ice-cream until you are ready to throw up. Take also some whiskey.
- Put the TV on and watch soap operas and reality shows, the whole day through.
- Refuse to shave, to do the dishes or vacuum clean. Let your apartment be as dirty as you can.
- Yell at your wife and your son. Tell them how bad they treat you.
- Think about all your faults and shortcomings. Remember vividly how you mistreated people.
- Do not put any clothes on, but go in underwear. Be inside the apartment all day and do not go outdoors.
- Refuse to exercise.
- Hiss at you cat when he wants your attention. Hit him with newspapers if they are nearby.
- Refuse to read any self development books. Why should you, they are all morons.
- Worry about all disasters and catastrophes that can, and probably will happen to you.
-Think about how meaningless everything is. Think about how you will soon die and that there is no point in going on.
-Think about all the silly and mean people, that this world is full of, and how they actively try to make your life miserable.
- Think about politicians and how the big nations mistreat the little nations and steal the little they have.
- Think about how mean and greedy people are, and how they will probably destroy the earth and everything living on it, except possibly rats and cockroaches.

Every little thing, that you do in opposition to your list will help you overcome depression. For instance refuse to yell at your son and wife, and refuse to watch TV. Clean the dishes, even if it's only one plate. As soon and you've done one single thing you'll get apetite for more :wink:

Now this will only help if your depression is due to depressing thoughts and not to a clinical condition. In that case you'll have to take medication, especially third-generation antidepressants. But keep it to the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (the other kinds are not well tried out). These have very little side effects and are not toxic.

But how do you know if you have a clinical condition? A good sign is that you have turned into a hypochondriac without a previous history of being one. Also your sexual appetite is less then it used to be. These are common signs, but of course a clinically depressed person will seldom admit these signs, but will persist that he has a one, or more often several physical illnesses. Especially if he is suspicious of physicians in common, he will not believe when they say that his bodily symptoms come from the depression, and that he needs to take antidepressants.
Last edited by bobueland on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be a sissy, don't be a snob. Post a reply to Ueland Bob.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:27 pm Post

Here's my list:

- Not drink Kronenbourg Blanc.

*Sigh*
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:36 pm Post

Read post from vic-k
Read technical post from Ioa pointing out a mistake I made.
More vic-k posts
Wake up daughditor
vic-k again
Wock?
Mirror
Boot work computer
yet another vic-k post
FLUFF!?!?
Ioa tech post
Remember that Amber is Ioa, the guy, not Ioa the Jennifer Anniston look alike.
Vic-k
Find no posts from vic-k.

I am sure there is a clinical name for this. Let's just say nuts.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14 pm Post

Mr Jaysen,
young bob`s point was, how to beat depression, not cause it.
Take care
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:17 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Read technical post from Ioa pointing out a mistake I made.
... stuff

I think you mean Recyclical Postobsessive Neochondriatic Disorder.

...oh, wait...
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm Post

WOT!! :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Ca
Carradee
Platform: Mac

Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:31 am Post

Frankly, I find it works better for me to make sure I get sunlight, and then to pick one basic cleaning task to finish, like folding a basket of laundry.

Then add another single task, like putting that laundry away.

It might take a day each, but as I make myself do those things, I get better at doing more, and get through it.

My depression stems from an endocrine condition, though.
Wanna hydroplane?
--My brother (while driving)

Jaysen

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:02 am Post

Fluff wrote:Mr Jaysen,
young bob`s point was, how to beat depression, not cause it.
Take care
Fluff

Dearest Furball,
bobueland wrote:As soon as you are aware of depressing thoughts make a list of 15 things you can do to go into real depression. Then do the opposite.

My exercise was in fact, accurate. Having the ability to accomplish the "opposite" was never qualified.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Jaysen

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:03 am Post

AmberV wrote:
Jaysen wrote:Read technical post from Ioa pointing out a mistake I made.
... stuff

I think you mean Recyclical Postobsessive Neochondriatic Disorder.

...oh, wait...

Odd that you focused on this particular reference to your person.
Jaysen

ImageImage

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:12 am Post

Care to psychoanalyse it? :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

nom

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:02 am Post

Bobueland's suggestion of writing a "depression list" and then doing the opposite to beat depression is simple and congruent with modern psychology treatments. I may even use it with clients. :)

However, some of his other comments could be misinterpreted, so I post the following for those touched by depression*.

Medication: while SSRI's are the most common anti-depressant medication, most of the others are certainly well-tested. If you are unsure, ask for an explanation for the medication you have been prescribed or seek a second opinion from a psychiatrist.

Also, it is important to note that medication is not always required - psychotherapy is actually the recommended first line treatment for mild to moderate clinical depression. Medication is best reserved for severe depression, used in conjunction with psychotherapy for chronic depression or for people who prefer medication to talking with a professional.

While hypochondria could be a symptom of depression, on it's own it is not enough. A more comprehensive list of warning signs includes (taken from BeyondBlue website:
  • moodiness that is out of character
  • increased irritability and frustration
  • finding it hard to take minor personal criticisms
  • spending less time with friends and family
  • loss of interest in food, sex, exercise or other pleasurable activities
  • being awake throughout the night
  • increased alcohol and drug use
  • staying home from work or school
  • increased physical health complaints like fatigue or pain
  • being reckless or taking unnecessary risks (e.g. driving fast or dangerously)
  • slowing down of thoughts and actions
If you are not sure, try one of these checklists.

Finally, if you are concerned for yourself or someone you care about, I recommend speaking to your doctor or a psychologist, calling a telephone helpline or, at the very least, confiding in a trusted friend. Depression is now easily treated, with most people showing improvement within a week or two of commencing therapy, and recovering completely in a few months. Don't wait, the sooner you seek help, the sooner you can feel "normal" again.

*Disclosure: I am completing my doctorate in clinical psychology and my daily work (when I am not writing my thesis) involves treating people with depression, bipolar, schizophrenia and other conditions - generally at the more severe end of the spectrum. I post this from the heart.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

bobueland

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:54 am Post

nom wrote:However, some of his other comments could be misinterpreted, so I post the following for those touched by depression*.

Ah, we have a pro among us. You should of course listen to nom, since he's a professional and I'm an amateur. The suggestions I made was from personal experience. Of course people are different and need different treatments. The point's of view in nom's post are balanced and well expressed. Thank you nom :D .
Last edited by bobueland on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fluff

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:09 am Post

Young Mr Jaysen,
I was only testing to see if you`d actually read all of young bob`s post.
Take care
Fluff

:oops:
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

bobueland

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:39 am Post

Carradee wrote:to pick one basic cleaning task to finish, like folding a basket of laundry.

Then add another

Very good strategy! In my first post, that's also what I suggest. The only thing I'm adding is to take a task from the opposite of your list. For instance if on your list it says "refuse to take care of laundry", then the task that you could do might be folding a basket of laundry . :D

Take care
Bob

Jaysen

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:20 pm Post

Nom,

Please forgive me if my posts seemed inappropriate. As a person who has not sought any clinical assistance in dealing with depression it is easy to forget how much of a struggle it can be for others. I consider myself fortunate. Thank you for reminding me how luck I am.
Jaysen

ImageImage