Plagiarism

Wock

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:57 pm Post

The first "clue" was FACEBOOK.

Any real author knows that if they are going to procrastinate they are going to come to these forums, and if they are not posting here, surfing youtube for a witty response to Vic-K, they are either rewriting the revised revision of their last revised revision that they just rewrote. That or they are busy drinking (insert favorite drink here) eating things they don't remember putting in their mouths, and wondering what where first 30,000 words of their latest word vomit session originated from.

What author has time to play farmville, mafia wars, or tweet their latest bowel movement on a social networking site? They are to busy actually crafting their art.

Few innovate, some emulate, many just duplicate.

I hope this "thief" gets a bad case of facial Gonorrhea, and suffers a painful boil on their parts of the body they have to cover with clothes for every word stolen.

I hate "Xerox Authors" (duplicators).
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:08 pm Post

Wock wrote:I hate "Xerox Authors" (duplicators).

You forgot the ® and ™.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Wock

Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:06 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
Wock wrote:I hate "Xerox Authors" (duplicators).

You forgot the ® and ™.

Wock® wrote:

kirkesque
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:38 pm Post

Wock wrote:
What author has time to play farmville, mafia wars, or tweet their latest bowel movement on a social networking site? They are to busy actually crafting their art.

I know an author who publishes, on average, 1-2 novels a year, numerous short stories, and is the editor of a fantasy magazine. She plays Farmville a lot. Myself, I haven't cared for any video games since Tempest was new in arcades...

Even real authors spend time doing things other than crafting their art. I'm guessing so anyway. When I'm not writing, I help others craft their art, look over students' work, and occasionally check out this forum to see if there's an announcement for 2.0. If there's a life beyond words or research, I'm not privy to it. 8)

In the case of literary theft, worthy time is spent calling in authorial authority.
"Language is a skin: I rub my language against the other.
It is as if I had words instead of fingers, or fingers at the tip of my words.
My language trembles with desire."
— Roland Barthes

Cjmiltko

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:37 pm Post

kirkesque wrote:
In the case of literary theft, worthy time is spent calling in authorial authority.

If your work has been stolen, contact the hosting provider for the website containing the stolen work and request a take down, giving the URL of the page containing your work, and the valid copyright claim.

Just be sure that the offending page isn't using fair use. But a wholesale copy and paste would hardly be fair use.

This suggestion is of course, if you want the page gone. If you want a different route, then you may contact the owner of the site directly. If you want damages as well, you should contact an IP attorney.

The take down notice the the hosting provider is useful for the flagrant infringers, though. Nice, neat, and fast.

Wock

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:43 pm Post

Cjmiltko wrote:
kirkesque wrote:

If your work has been stolen, contact the hosting provider for the website containing the stolen work and request a take down, giving the URL of the page containing your work, and the valid copyright claim.

Just be sure that the offending page isn't using fair use. But a wholesale copy and paste would hardly be fair use.

This suggestion is of course, if you want the page gone. If you want a different route, then you may contact the owner of the site directly. If you want damages as well, you should contact an IP attorney.

The take down notice the the hosting provider is useful for the flagrant infringers, though. Nice, neat, and fast.

I might hire some headless Geek Guru (or one that may appear like the opposite gender on these forums) and ask them nicely (bribery with large amounts of beer and flattery) and see if they can't poison the DNS for the offending page and repoint it to something more appealing like fornication with livestock or maybe to a page with a list of Glee back epsicodes.

Revenge is best served cold, I would serve mine frozen.......

kirkesque

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:18 pm Post

Cjmiltko wrote:
kirkesque wrote:

Indeed, fair use does not at all cover verbatim use of another's work with one's own name attached.

Nothing of mine is involved in this case. I merely acted on my own to track down the authors whose work was illicitly used. Several have acted in this matter and my payment has been several thank yous. The power of a thank you is sometimes extensive.

Wock wrote:I might hire some headless Geek Guru (or one that may appear like the opposite gender on these forums) and ask them nicely (bribery with large amounts of beer and flattery) and see if they can't poison the DNS for the offending page and repoint it to something more appealing like fornication with livestock or maybe to a page with a list of Glee back epsicodes.

Revenge is best served cold, I would serve mine frozen.......

Beer and flattery are also good payments...
"Language is a skin: I rub my language against the other.
It is as if I had words instead of fingers, or fingers at the tip of my words.
My language trembles with desire."
— Roland Barthes

Jaysen

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:28 pm Post

kirkesque wrote:Beer and flattery are also good payments...

The former works best when Y chromosomes are involved. The latter for the double X.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:21 pm Post

Oh dear! :shock:
Sexist Jaysen.
I`m wondering if Mrs Snort or dahghditor read your postings. Hopefully, that is the case.
One wonders, if boy, could be recruited to video the event, and post it on YouTube. Twould be like an afternoon at the Colosseum
Take care Mr Jaysen! I would, if I was you! :(
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

Jaysen

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:53 pm Post

The issue is "beer" If that was "liquor" or "alcohol" then the Y would no longer have a higher interest then the double X.

Think about it. Why else to most beer adds feature scantily clad, very young, double Y, while most liquor adds feature vacations and social events?
Jaysen

ImageImage

Wock

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:58 pm Post

Because beer is cheaper so the investment cost for a night is less.

Liquor is much more and is more for the long term plan one is plotting.

Fluff

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:51 pm Post

If you two believe that rubbish, you`ll believe anything. Fortunately, for the prospects of a good juicy YouTube, Snort and daughditor won`t. Watch your backs Gents!! :twisted: We`re due a good ripping of limbs from limbs on theses forums!
Take care. Oh do me a favour!! :lol:
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

Th
Thequietone

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 pm Post

Update.
She is still updating her blog using pirated material.
The difference is she has disabled and deleted comments so that people complaining about theft and morality are the disappeared.

Some people have no shame.

Paul

nom

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:48 pm Post

Thequietone wrote:Update.
She is still updating her blog using pirated material.
The difference is she has disabled and deleted comments so that people complaining about theft and morality are the disappeared.

Has no-one lodged a complaint with Blogger (or the site's ISP if not Google)? Naturally, if no-one lodges a complaint, no action will be taken.

Thequietone wrote:Some people have no shame.

Agreed.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Jaysen

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:56 pm Post

nom wrote:[
Thequietone wrote:Some people have no shame.

Agreed.

It isn't nice to talk about vic-k like that.

Oh you weren't talking about vic-k? Sorry.
Jaysen

ImageImage