Cable TV: To Be...or Not?

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed May 26, 2010 7:37 pm Post

HDMI is digital. Go cheap. You should be able to find a cheap no-name cable in your area.

That said, yes. Get an HDMI to connect your ATV to your display.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Ah
Ahab

Wed May 26, 2010 8:55 pm Post

Cheap yet reliably high quality AV cables can be had from Blue Jeans http://www.bluejeanscable.com/
or Monoprice--www.monoprice.com .

Were it my money, I'd go with them rather than cheap discount-store no-names. Those can be good; they can be OK; they can be the source of that annoying glitch you'll never track down.

br
brett

Wed May 26, 2010 11:07 pm Post

druid wrote:Brett, TYVM for those great links. I'm embarrassed, because I'd read all of the stories but failed to save them! And now I have.

You're welcome. The price is: please keep us apprised of your progress in the great conversion. I saved those articles (and other earlier stories that I didn't include because they're too dated now) because we're contemplating the same thing. We're not major TV watchers anyway, and the only reason we have basic cable is that our package includes pretty fast broadband cable internet, still cheaper (barely) than the alternatives where I live. Unless other bilge rats want to weigh in with other suggestions.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu May 27, 2010 10:49 pm Post

Thanks, Ahab, Jaysen, and Wock for all the tips. I'm saving all the links and will diligently pursue. At the rate I'm buying gizmos and cables, I may be spending all the $$ I save from Comcast.

Brett, deal. Will relate my progress gladly.

You all know that my ultimate aim is to prove that the iPad will connect to the Apple TV and then write, film, edit and score the ultimate sci-fi epic that Keith is day-dreaming about, on his puny MBP. :lol:

Jaysen

Thu May 27, 2010 11:06 pm Post

Hang on there. what exactly are you expecting the ATV to do for you related to your iPad?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri May 28, 2010 1:13 am Post

Sorry, was just making a little joke. :shock:

Jaysen

Fri May 28, 2010 11:47 am Post

Whew. I was about to panic.

Anyhoo, head over to the bruji home page and look at the dvdpedia plugin for Frontrow. Follow the link to the developer site and you will see everything you need to know on how you get the ability to integrate dvdpedia AND prep your ATV for boxee/hulu. Pretty simple. Just requires patience and attention to detail (which means vic-k is out (think about it, it is 0 proof (which means that Wock is less interested (yes I know this has quickly devolved into a parenthetical nightmare)))).
Jaysen

ImageImage

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri May 28, 2010 12:52 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:devolved into a parenthetical nightmare)))).
is vat like d one on elm street? :shock:
rat
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

kl
klcorridon
Platform: Mac

Fri May 28, 2010 2:14 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
rat

I sesnse a great disturbance in the force... as though thousands of English teachers cried out in pain... :roll:
Last edited by klcorridon on Sat May 29, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may be an Idiot, but I'm no Fool...
For Maura, 4/7/59-11/21/09... My Muse, my Heroine, my Editor, my Patron. All that I have achieved as a writer is because of her.

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri May 28, 2010 2:54 pm Post

klcorridon wrote:as though thousands of English teaches cried out in pain...
..and anguish Kev...don`t forget the anguish. I have to live with it. Sometimes it`s pure mental torture. :(
Take care
Fluff
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

kl
klcorridon
Platform: Mac

Sat May 29, 2010 12:30 am Post

vic-k wrote:..and anguish Kev...don`t forget the anguish. I have to live with it. Sometimes it`s pure mental torture. :(
Take care
Fluff

Oh, yes, we have great piles of it 'round the back... :(
I may be an Idiot, but I'm no Fool...
For Maura, 4/7/59-11/21/09... My Muse, my Heroine, my Editor, my Patron. All that I have achieved as a writer is because of her.

Wock

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:15 pm Post

klcorridon wrote:
vic-k wrote:
rat

I sesnse a great disturbance in the force... as though thousands of English teachers cried out in pain... :roll:

<<<<<<<<<<Don't you mean Engrish?>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Jaysen

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:25 pm Post

Wock wrote:
klcorridon wrote:

Don't you mean hicklish?
Jaysen

ImageImage

Wock

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:45 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
Wock wrote:
klcorridon wrote:

Don't you mean hicklish?

Well the most common phrase in "hicklish" for warnings of an imminent backwater suicide is:

"Hey Beau! Watch This!"
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Jaysen

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm Post

Wock wrote:Well the most common phrase in "hicklish" for warnings of an imminent backwater suicide is:

"Hey Beau! Watch This!"

I thought it was: Let me show you how to do that the right way!
Jaysen

ImageImage