French press (and Sainsbury's gluten-free English muffins)

tannie

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:43 pm Post

I haven't been around much (I've read posts but not commented) due to health-issues, but I did have to let everyone know about this wonderful discovery I made.

My parents drink coffee (I don't. I know, I know, bad me!). I don't have a coffee-machine and they managed with tea and other drinks until I happened to find something called a 'French Press'. A simple pot with a sieve in the middle that you press down.
Made my parents really happy.

Who knows, I might start making coffee for myself now... (though I never did quite understood what attracts people to coffee...)

My other great discovery: Sainsbury's gluten-free English muffins!
After lots of trial-and-painful-error my doctors and I came to the conclusion that eating bread (or wheat-products in general) really was a bad idea. Because I didn't want to go back to the nutritionists with their contradicting advice and non-listening to me, I decided to go ahead and try gluten-free (easiest way to find wheat-free food). I found some that I can buy at a not-so-nearby store (mini baguettes, very handy and tasty) and then a friend from Canterbury brought me Sainsbury's gluten-free English muffins, aaaaaah!
They taste very nice with a fried egg on them. And ketchup. And they remind me of regular bread a lot.

Oddly enough we don't have a Sainsbury's in Amsterdam, so today my friend brought me some more, and some pita-breads to try out. And cookies.

Aaah, the little pleasures in life!

Hope all of you are well!

Tanja

p.s. My next project involves proper pizza-bases. I miss pizza.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:30 pm Post

A French press, with freshly roasted coffee (no more than a week, but 3--4 days is best) is an entirely different experience than most coffee (and generally isn't bitter at all). Finding a place that sells fresh coffee can be tricky, it is even tricky in a place like where I live, where quality coffee is a huge past-time. Best luck is usually at a dedicated coffee house. If you see a place with green, unroasted beans in bins instead of dark brown beans, then you've probably hit a gold-mine. Two things to watch for, when you order it if you don't have a grinder make sure they know you need a coarse grind. Most places will just assume you'll be using it with a filter, which uses a much finer grind which will clog up the press and make it dangerously difficult to plunge.

Yes, the little pleasures indeed. Most are so cheap, and infinitely rewarding.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Wock

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:14 pm Post

A good friend of my is a Coffee Roaster. He introduced me to "sampling" using a French Press. If used correctly they make a world of difference...

As to the muffins, myself I like McDonalds Egg McMuffins. Somethign about that gutter fast food reheated frozen breakfast treat that will clot your arteries and make you bleed gravy is very alluring.
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:36 pm Post

Wock wrote:He introduced me to "sampling" using a French Press.
Only you could make, 'coffee tasting' sound like a kind of deviant behaviour.
Wock wrote:Somethign about that gutter fast food
Just what we`ve come to expect from the winged wassack, with it`s unsophisticated, jaded`n` jaundiced palate.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Wock

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:50 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Only you could make, 'coffee tasting' sound like a kind of deviant behaviour.

Only if done at the right temperature and in the nude. Anything else is time wasting foreplay. But I do recomeend avoiding the "Frying food in the nude" because that can be just dangerous.

tannie

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:02 pm Post

Wock wrote:As to the muffins, myself I like McDonalds Egg McMuffins. Somethign about that gutter fast food reheated frozen breakfast treat that will clot your arteries and make you bleed gravy is very alluring.

Did you read the article about how addictive fatty food probably is? ;)
see http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2010/03/29/2010-03-29_fatty_foods_may_be_just_as_addictive_as_heroin_and_cocaine_study.html

I can't stomach fast food (pun intended :wink: ) at all anymore.

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:40 pm Post

tannie, my carrot topped, friend
tannie wrote:Did you read the article about how addictive fatty food probably is? see http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/20 ... study.html
...will only, 'turn wock on'. Wock and the Sewerborge (Paul (thequietone)), are like a deviant, 'Tweedledum`n`Tweedledee'!

Sorry to see you`ve been under the weather, I trust you are now, finer of fettle, than you were.

Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

tannie

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:29 pm Post

vic-k wrote:tannie, my carrot topped, friend
tannie wrote:Did you read the article about how addictive fatty food probably is? see http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/20 ... study.html
...will only, 'turn wock on'. Wock and the Sewerborge (Paul (thequietone)), are like a deviant, 'Tweedledum`n`Tweedledee'!

Ah well, guess i made their day then, huh? :P

vic-k wrote:Sorry to see you`ve been under the weather, I trust you are now, finer of fettle, than you were.

Take care
Vic

Thank you. I have received multiple pokes with needles and nasty IV thingies and then they flooded my body with iron. Not noticing anything yet (apart from increased fatigue, they told me that could happen), but it should pay off in a week or two.
I slightly fear immense bouncing at that point (like Tigger)...

Meanwhile, I attempt to grow little vegetables in my windowsill. So far, I've had garden-cress and alfalfa. Nothing major, tasty nonetheless. (sorry Wock, this probably offends you ;) ).

cheers,

Tanja

Wock

Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:56 pm Post

vic-k wrote:tannie, my carrot topped, friend

Sorry to see you`ve been under the weather, I trust you are now, finer of fettle, than you were.

Take care
Vic

The goal of Uber Fattness.....

Jaysen

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:50 pm Post

Why!?!?! You foolish bird brain!! WHYYY?!?!?!?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:58 am Post

Wock wrote:The goal of Uber Fattness.....

<Ugh!> But it reminds me of a report I read a few years back, of a man, somewhere in the north-western States — one would like to think it was Redmond :twisted: — who had to be taken to hospital in emergency. He weighed over 900 pounds and had to spend his life lying on his stomach as, if he turned onto his back, the weight of fat would have crushed his lungs. Needless to say, he could not enter any non-prone position. To get him to hospital, they had to take the roof off the house and lift him out by crane. When interviewed by reporters, his wife said that she thought her husband's condition was perfectly normal. Unbelievable!
:shock:
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Wock

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:53 pm Post

The fattest man in the world is Manuel Uribe who weighed 1215 pounds

http://www.findmoreabout.net/