Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:11 pm Post

No reason to lament!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

bobueland

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:59 pm Post

Seven months ago when I started this thread, one Apple share was 218 dollars. The stock market of Apple was 198 Billion dollars while Microsoft was 249 Billion. Mr Bozo from thestreet.com wrote a warning
PCs are back, which leaves Macs as the yuppie equivalent of BMWs. Paying twice the price for a computer can only be so cool. The revolutionary iPhone is getting stale. No fresh market, no fresh phone.

Mr Bozo said that it was high time to sell. PCs are back, take your money away from Apple and invest in something that has real value. Today one Apple share is 300 dollars. The stock market of Apple is 275 Billion dollars while Microsoft is 217 Billion. How come? Did Mr Bozo get it wrong? No, it's the stupid investors who do not understand their own best interest :evil: . As you know, a light bulb never shines as bright as when it's about to go out. In truth, this is a symptom of something going very wrong in the world. When people put more money on entertainment than on education, on toy phones and toy computers instead of reliable phones and real computers, something has to be wrong :shock:. But the world has a way of correcting itself. Tulip were once expensive in Holland, but who would like to pay today 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman, for a single tulip bulb? :lol:

So, it's high time to sell your Apple shares and invest in Microsoft, or some similar company of high reputation. The time to act is now :x Be warned :twisted:
Don't be a sissy, don't be a snob. Post a reply to Ueland Bob.

Wock

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:17 pm Post

I have read that Apple is projected to surpass Exxon for the number one spot and to be included in the S&P 500 which for investors will be a very big deal since many fund managers will be adjusting their holdings to include apple.
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

bobueland

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:06 pm Post

Wock wrote:I have read that Apple is projected to surpass Exxon for the number one spot

Exxon is 331 Billion while Apple is 287 Billion. During the last 5 years Apple has grown over 400% while Exxon only 11%. So the scenario of Apple surpassing is not impossible. However it's hard to predict things, especially the future.

kirkesque
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:22 pm Post

bobueland wrote:
Wock wrote:I have read that Apple is projected to surpass Exxon for the number one spot

Exxon is 331 Billion while Apple is 287 Billion. During the last 5 years Apple has grown over 400% while Exxon only 11%. So the scenario of Apple surpassing is not impossible. However it's hard to predict things, especially the future.

But that is just what you did a few days ago:
bobueland wrote:
So, it's high time to sell your Apple shares and invest in Microsoft, or some similar company of high reputation. The time to act is now :x Be warned :twisted:

If it is difficult to predict these things, which I agree it sometimes is, why use such foreboding terminology when you opine (semi-)publicly on it?

*shrug* Not that I have any acorns in that squirrel tree, just wondering...

~k
"Language is a skin: I rub my language against the other.
It is as if I had words instead of fingers, or fingers at the tip of my words.
My language trembles with desire."
— Roland Barthes

bobueland

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:07 pm Post

kirkesque wrote:If it is difficult to predict these things, which I agree it sometimes is, why use such foreboding terminology when you opine

Sorry for the misunderstanding. If you read the whole thread you will see that I'm a big Apple fan and have been so since 1984 when I bought my first Mac. The post you are referring to is a sarcastic reasoning of people like the journalists in http://www.thestreet.com who predicted that Apple will decline. I do own some Apple shares which I bought long time ago, which I wouldn't sell even if the price went to zero and below :wink:. So I do not have to predict the future, Apple is for me more than a company. It's a philosophy and semi-religion and have been so for the last 26 years . We shall see what happens as Apple grows. There are signs that I don't like, like all the secrecy and the tendency to monopolize :x . It has not yet passed the threshold, but if it does, then the brightest developers within Apple and outside Apple people will abandon the train and start their own companies, even though it will take time since momentum that Apple has built up is huge. But the momentum that Microsoft built was as huge, and the history shows that you can beat anybody that fights against the free spirit. And thanks to the Internet, the free spirit is stronger than ever :D .

Wock

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:10 pm Post

This "prediction" has been based on if the current trends in both stocks continues as it has.

...Remember that market capitalisation isn't about profit; it's about the share price multiplied by the number of outstanding shares (which is how one reaches a valuation for Facebook, or any small company when venture capitalists buy a chunk; or for any publicly-listed company). It can be described as the market's guess at the net present value of the total future profits of the company....

How will we know when it's happened? Well, Apple has 913.6m shares outstanding (issued); Exxon, 5.092bn. A quick bit of maths shows that when Apple's share price reaches or exceeds 5.573 times that of Exxon, its valuation is also greater.

At present, it's sitting just below the 5.0 mark - so the differential needs to grow by another 10%, though WolframAlpha suggests that that could happen by January, based on current trends.....

Full story
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/bl ... on-biggest

As to the free spirit, Google is now by far worse than Microsoft or Apple and lets not forget Facebook. Technology in itself can keep the spirit from being truly free....
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

kirkesque
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:12 pm Post

bobueland wrote:... history shows that you can beat anybody that fights against the free spirit. And thanks to the Internet, the free spirit is stronger than ever :D .

Indeed. However tightly you grip water, you'll never hold onto it.

[ignoring a pet peeve of grammar that has seeped into the English language to the point that NYT now sometimes uses the incorrect demonstrative pronoun... people are "who" not "that" ARRRGGGHH! 8)]
"Language is a skin: I rub my language against the other.
It is as if I had words instead of fingers, or fingers at the tip of my words.
My language trembles with desire."
— Roland Barthes