Octagonal paper, deceased wood, and general blather about TV

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:03 am Post

Will most definitely spread the word. We just got another disc today and my husband and I are already salivating. I can't wait to see what happens with Boothe's character. It's pretty amazing that a show like this can get produced--thank goodness for cable!!

It looks like there are only three seasons, or is it still in production and there will be more? From your comments I assume not (I don't get much cable since most of it is utter dreck). I see Ian McShane is still around by season three, which promises some interesting dynamics between his and Boothe's characters. Very juicy!!! 8)

Alexandria

Yeah, that's interesting it didn't get more awards. The acting, and the production itself, are truly exceptional. And unique and highly creative in being so. Weird.
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

Eiron

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:35 am Post

It was originally planned for four seasons but was cut short. Apparently the current plan is for the fourth season to be replaced by two two-hour movies that will tie up the storylines- sometime this year.

The creator David Milch has another show, John From Cincinatti- premiering in early march. He describes it as "Surf Noir"!. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

E

KB
Site Admin

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 am Post

Eiron,

I now officially hate you. :) I will now never implement Scrivener links in the notes field. And here is why: I have just this minute finished watching the first series of Deadwood. I have been watching it over the past few weeks, and that was Sold Under Sin just finished. And it is bloody excellent. Only, all this time, from your past comments about their being only three series and something I read in the Guardian when the last series was coming to a close, I have been labouring under the illusion that the third seris was supposed to be the last series, and that it finished everything off. Here, I thought, at last, was a series that actually got bloody finished. Here, at last, was a series that wasn't cancelled before I could find out what happened to all of the characters I had come to care about. And now - now, after I have bloomin' well got into it - now you tell me that it was cancelled!

C***sucker!!!!

Keith

Eiron

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:27 am Post

Well join the fuckin' club, Motherfucker. We are legion. Fortunately by all accounts the movies will be made and close the story. Apparently Milch is intrigued by the prospect of changing the time scale in the films - the series averages about a day per episode with occasional skips and jumps of weeks or months, but the movies will cover years and tie it all up. He has a lot of history to cover.

And I don't give a rat's ass for Scrivener links any more cause I've realized you just don't have the balls to implement them. They're just too manly for you. And you'll come up with some bullshit excuse like "it's a controool, not a notes field!"

Pussy :P

E

alexwein

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:12 am Post

Hahahahaha!!! You are so f$cking funny, Eiron. And you're all a bunch of motherf&cking tards, and what the f@ck are you going to do about it? F*ck sh#t!!!! Now see what this co*ksucking program is f@cking doing to me!!!! I have never used the word 'f#ck' in my life before!!!

Keith is ahead of me. I am shamed. We are only on disc three. That is because we are getting them one at a time. Keith, you should be grateful they are doing ANYTHING to bring things to completion. How many times have we been left to mourn the loss of a beloved group of friends who are forever left hanging in the limbo of the final, unresolved, episode! Very tragic... :cry:

Alexandria
-Chuck Close

Eiron

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:26 am Post

You could always watch General Hospital, 24 or Survivor, Keith. It's the nature of TV: If it's going to survive it's either got to start off as crap or become crap. In the long run, really smart TV is an oxymoron.

E

And Alex, I must say I'm shocked at that mouth of yours. I was half expecting you and AmberV to burst in like our moms, wash our mouths out with soap, and tell us to behave.
Isn't Deadwood liberating!
Last edited by Eiron on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexwein

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:38 am Post

Eiron wrote:You could always watch General Hospital, 24 or Survivor, Keith. It's the nature of TV: If it's going to survive it's either got to start off as crap or become crap. In the long run, really smart TV is an oxymoron.

E

And Alex, I must say I'm shocked at that mouth of yours. I was half expecting you and AmberV to burst in like our moms, wash our mouths out with soap, and tells us to behave.
Isn't Deadwood liberating!

General Hospital! So funny (and disgusting). No, no mouth washing from me! Yes, I do believe I was secretly raised by sailors. When I was around kids I used to give them a quarter every time I cut loose with a swear word. I lost a lot of money that way. At least now I've learned some self-control. That is until Deadwood came along. Thanks loads! Years of hard work, gone! :)

Alexandria
-Chuck Close

Eiron

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:47 am Post

When I was around kids I used to give them a quarter every time I cut loose with a swear word.

Ha! Have you seen yet that Calamity Jane does exactly that (well, adjusted for inflation) in Deadwood?

E

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:06 am Post

I was half expecting you and AmberV to burst in like our moms, wash our mouths out with soap, and tell us to behave.

When the fuck have I ever done that?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

da
dafu

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:14 am Post

Good heavens!

I must have strayed into the longshoreman's room.

Dave

Eiron

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:14 am Post

Oops, AmberV, I didn't mean to be insulting - and certainly not sexist!. It's just that the two of you are so polite all the time. Never pains in the ass like Me or (occasionally) my sensei, Maria.
Sorry.

E
Last edited by Eiron on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexwein

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:19 am Post

Eiron wrote:
When I was around kids I used to give them a quarter every time I cut loose with a swear word.

Ha! Have you seen yet that Calamity Jane does exactly that (well, adjusted for inflation) in Deadwood?

E

No!!!!!! How funny!!!!!! That actress is amazing.
-Chuck Close

Eiron

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:39 am Post

No!!!!!! How funny!!!!!! That actress is amazing.

Robin Weigerthas a hell of a range, too. She's a blast in a small part in The Good German. Her blonde bombshell German nightclub singer/prostitute steals every scene from Clooney and Blanchett. Best thing by far in the movie.
Last edited by Eiron on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:47 am Post

They haven't even started making these films to finish it off yet, and they aren't even listed as in post-production on IMDB! Grrr. And Timothy Olyphant seems to have had to take roles as romantic leads in dodgy chick-flicks instead of pounding the teeth out of the parents of his beaus...

I had fun flicking through Wikipedia last night, though - I had no idea that anyone other than Hickock and Calamity Jane was based on a real character, or that Deadwood was a real place. Bullock, Sol Star, Swearengen, Farnum, Utter - all based on real people (with a lot of creative licence)! I guess those of you in the U.S. probably knew all this, but I was surprised. Milch really tapped into a rich vein there - to use the gold prospecting terminology.

Oh, look, I didn't c***sucking mother****ing swear in this post, c***suckers.

alexwein

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:04 pm Post

Thanks for the link! I knew I had seen her (Robin Weigert) before, when I got a peek at what she looked like under all that grime!! I've seen her in a couple of TV shows as well.

Bummer that they haven't started the movies or even listed them. :( I'll savor each episode even more fully knowing it will soon end...

Ah, er, almost forogot. F&ck shit. There, now my post qualifies for this thread. Whew!
-Chuck Close