Octagonal paper, deceased wood, and general blather about TV

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:05 pm Post

brewbat wrote:Drat! And just when I was about to weigh in with my own thoughts about Oregon, land that I miss and to which I will return once the small matter of writing my dissertation is no longer hanging over me like an Oregon winter. Oregon, land of beautiful coastlines and chilly waters, of liberal thinkers and East-side ranchers, of Deschutes and Full Sail and Bridgeport and Rogue, of Crater Lake and it's spectacular cross-country skiing.

Once I got past my residence requirements and the classes they included out of the way, I left the east coast and came out here to write my dissertation. Works great via email with my advisors! :)
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

KB
Site Admin

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:47 pm Post

cruxdestruct - I love 15 storeys - have both series on DVD, very funny. And, like the best British comedy, it is just too real. By far the best British comedy of the past few years has been Peep Show, IMHO. It's horrible. Everything is seen through the characters' eyes and thoughts, and you keep thinking, "Oh yes, that's what I have thought, and now I am ashamed, ha ha." Um, anyway.

Alexwein - I have indeed seen that Tranformers is being made into a movie, by Michael Bay, no less. I was dubious at first. I hate Pearl Harbour, but I do actually like The Island, and feel that it was rather unjustly panned. Plus, the new trailer (http://www.transformersmovie.com/main.html) is wicked - seems they're making the Transformers more alien, and getting away from the cartoony element. Nice.

Keith

cr
cruxdestruct

Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:03 pm Post

I'm right there with you, keef: I actually was very lukewarm on Peep Show, but I've come to appreciate it quite a bit. I remember being a little disappointed by the last series of Green Wing, whichever that was. But I've kind of exhausted myself on series (that I can find, anyway -- there are still a couple I've given up on being available), aside from QI. Well, actually, Fry's in a couple things now -- Absolute Power, is that still going? He's a marvelous man.

alexwein

Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:17 pm Post

Yeah, Pearl Harbor was terrible. The Island, I thought it was pretty good. Not great. I really like Scarlett Johansson (ever since Lost in Translation). But the movie was very entertaining and an interesting story line. The Transformers looks very fun. I see M. Bay is also remaking The Hitcher, which was very creepy in the earlier version with Rutger Hauer. Good creepy. It was incredibly tense. I have serious doubts that a remake will be as well done. Rutger Hauer is a pretty hard act to follow in such roles!
-Chuck Close

KB
Site Admin

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:21 pm Post

Yeah, I like Scarlett J. too, though, given our genders, probably for different reasons. :) Ewan McGregor is always immensely watchable, too, though.

brewbat

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:42 pm Post

alexwein wrote:Once I got past my residence requirements and the classes they included out of the way, I left the east coast and came out here to write my dissertation. Works great via email with my advisors! :)

Good idea! Actually, my student visa expires in August, so finished or not I'm going to be headed state-side and then I'll be doing the email dance too. I'm really hoping to have it done by then though...

Eiron

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:47 pm Post

Pearl Harbour, bletch. Almost as bad as Armageddon, if that's possible. Scarlett J., I recognize the talent but can't see what all the fuss is about. Pug-nosed blondes not my thing, in part.

Never heard of Peep show and 15 storeys, but I'll hunt around: Which are the best seasons?

E

cr
cruxdestruct

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:23 am Post

15 Storeys High is only 2 series long (they call series what we call seasons; they're shorter than ours too, often). Get the first, then the second -- if they even come separate

ka
katzenjammer

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:34 am Post

Eiron, I have the first season of Deadwood in my bag ready for Vermont and Christmas week - your posts about it have me extremely curious. On Scarlett J., ummm talent? Really? I thinkest thou art being overly polite. She - including her botox and otherwise "enhanced" looks - annoys me to no end. Perhaps that means I have a crush on her? :wink: Nahhh.

Anyway, just in case Keef is reading, I'm not going to mention Kirk. Nor how he kicks Picard's ass. Nope. Won't do it. Mrrry Xmas to all and thanks for all the great posts and company and advice. Cheers!

Du
Dunx

Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:58 pm Post

I was going to weigh in on the Trek thing but I won't. I would certainly be liable for the Trek-punishing licence though.

The only thing I will say is that the Kirk series and the Picard series are the only ones which are really science fiction. After that they descended into soap opera, where the producers discouraged writers from even coming up with SF plots. Having great science fiction authors writing scripts was one of the very best things about the original show.
--
Dunx

alexwein

Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:45 pm Post

Uh oh. Dunx you've done it now. Talking about Star Trek AND you are from Portland. :)
-Chuck Close

Eiron

Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:02 am Post

By the way, for any nature fans out there: if you can, try to catch David Attenborough's Planet Earth series. It's a truly spectacular, eye opening and very new perspective on the planet. Not available in the U.S. just yet.
E

ho
howarth

Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:11 am Post

Eiron wrote:By the way, for any nature fans out there: if you can, try to catch David Attenborough's Planet Earth series. It's a truly spectacular, eye opening and very new perspective on the planet. Not available in the U.S. just yet.
E

It's a great show. In the end, the evil maggot counters win.

ka
katzenjammer

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:57 pm Post

Eiron wrote:if you can, try to catch David Attenborough's Planet Earth series.

E, thanks for the heads up on this. I loved his series on birds. He's truly a pleasure to listen to.

btw, during Christmas I spent time with the first season of Deadwood; it's fantastic, dark, beautiful - and hits many true notes I think. The one thing that bothered me, though, was the foul language: not that it offended me, but the swearing seemed rather gratuitous. (I had to be careful with all my nephews and nieces around - thankfully, they speak/understand only very basic English...) It's as if the writers are trying too hard to make the dialogue "gritty" or "real" - and as you know from the stage, a little goes a long way with this sort of thing, and one can easily overdo it. Or maybe the writers were paid by the swearword? :wink:

Otherwise, it was amazing television - and caused me to rethink the medium itself and what it's capable of doing. Cheers!

Eiron

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:48 pm Post

I'm very pleased -- and a bit relieved after my gushing review --that you liked Deadwood. I did warn about the language, and it is indeed over the top. Personally, I think it works after a while. Milch has said that he was trying to break down the character's language before rebuilding it - you'll notice that as the characters grow and and learn to communicate in new and better ways in seasons 2 and 3, the swearing tends to fade away. They use profanity to protect themselves, a need that changes and evolves in all kinds of interesting ways as civilization enters the camp in later episodes.

I personally think it's high time that much of the puritanical reaction to sexual swear words went the same way as our grandparent's objections to religious ones. In fact, the original Swearingen would more likely have used the name of God in vain than that of a whore's privates. Milch realized having these characters saying Zounds (God's wounds) and bloody (a reference to Christ's blood) would have now seemed more comic than shocking, but at the time Dakota actually passed laws against such "swearing." BTW it just get's better. The last episode of season 2 is the best hour I've ever seen on TV.

As for Planet Earth, the images will blow you away.

Happy New Year.

E