English - why I hate Americans

pink

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:21 pm Post

[edited - because I didn't realise I could delete it, and I am a total dufus.]
Last edited by pink on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now writing: random bloggy stuff

pink

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:26 pm Post

I always found it amazing that the english dialects differed so greatly under what are really very small distances. When I first arrived over here I could do a pretty good posh brit accent, and a limey cockney one. And then I realised that - actually - I couldn't.

I got laid into once by a bunch of lads who were deeply offended that after 4 pints of beer I didn't recognise their accent as being Welsh. I'd not have recognised it prior to the beer either. I'd only been in the country about 5 minutes. And we were only there because we couldn't get into "the church".

[edited to add - oi, you deleted!]

Jacqi Corgan

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:35 pm Post

Whoa, guys! :shock: I thought it impressive that in the span of 32 miles, you'd have lots of different dialects! I've been fascinated by linguistics for some time, and I just thought that such a veritable cornucopia of variations was really interesting.
A scrivener using Scrivener. (Credit to xiamenese! :) )

pink

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:40 pm Post

I totally agree with that - and even more interesting is how they vary - it's not like a graduated scale of accent from north to south, there are some places where the differences make really no sense at all! Some area seem to be like isolated alien landing sites.

Jacqi Corgan

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 pm Post

pink wrote:I totally agree with that - and even more interesting is how they vary - it's not like a graduated scale of accent from north to south, there are some places where the differences make really no sense at all! Some area seem to be like isolated alien landing sites.

Wow! It's the same over here! There are certain areas in this town where the people speak as if they left the South just yesterday. It's because when the tire factories were in their heyday, Goodyear, Firestone, B.F. Goodrich, etc., desperate for labor, used to recruit workers from down South. (BTW, the jobs have since migrated south, where workers were a little less likely to join the URW and where wages were cheaper.)

Still, because of the relatively heavy snowfalls this close to the Great Lakes, those southern imports learned pretty quickly that a toboggan is a big, heavy sled.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:00 pm Post

Jacqi Corgan wrote:Whoa, guys! I thought it impressive that in the span of 32 miles, you'd have lots of different dialects! I've been fascinated by linguistics for some time, and I just thought that such a veritable cornucopia of variations was really interesting.
Don`t worry about young`n` I`m only giving him something to think about while he`s at work! :twisted:

In many instances, it`s well nigh impossible to understand just what the hell they`re saying(not talking about Jaysen now). But what`s fascinating, is just how quickly your ear becomes tuned in to the dialect.
Did y` read the full versions of theclock/sarah poems, I`d be interested to hear what you thought about them, if you did.
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jacqi Corgan

Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:26 am Post

Sorry, Vic, I haven't. :cry:

Th
Thequietone

Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:13 am Post

And we were only there because we couldn't get into "the church".

Is that the same "church" as I recall from North London/Kings Cross way ?

Whats a nice girl like you going to a place like that.

Oh ! Research....that explains it all.

Paul

zikade
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:34 am Post

I just moved from one small village to another, smaller one, roughly 20 km away. Guess what? I didn't understand a single sentence during the first couple of weeks...
There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't...

pink

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:40 pm Post

I once spoke to a Geordie - the look on my face when he first opened his mouth was utter confusion.

And Thequietone, yes - research. Very much so. Dedicated I was. VERY dedicated. Not to mention talented.

vic-k

Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:38 pm Post

pink wrote:And Thequietone, yes - research. Very much so. Dedicated I was. VERY dedicated. Not to mention talented.
' What`s the word that means, 'standards are plummeting again'? :?
Thequietone wrote:Whats a nice girl like you going to a place like that.
Nice touch of irony though :wink:
zikade wrote:Guess what? I didn't understand a single sentence during the first couple of weeks...
When stationed in Krefeld, in 1963/5, I shared a room with: a West Indian; a Glaswegian; a Canadian; a real bona fide English country yokel, and two Scousers. Imagine what it was like with my broad Mancunian accent added to that eclectic bunch. After a fortnight or so, at least to my ears, all trace of accent/dialect had vanished.
pink wrote:I once spoke to a Geordie - the look on my face when he first opened his mouth was utter confusion.
After enlisting, in 1962, for the first week of basic training, I was calling the Geordie, whose bed was next to mine, Taffy. I`d never heard of a Geordie before that. It was one of the other lads that asked me, "Why d` Y` keep calling Brian, Taffy? He`s from Newcastle. He`s a Geordie." Brian never corrected me, so I`m just wondering if it was a case of, him not understanding a word, I was saying! :D
vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:03 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
pink wrote:And Thequietone, yes - research. Very much so. Dedicated I was. VERY dedicated. Not to mention talented.
' What`s the word that means, 'standards are plummeting again'? :?

That would be "vic-k".
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

vic-k

Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:32 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:That would be "vic-k".
Shitshitshit!!!! I`m as thick as a double ditch!! :shock: I should`ve seen that one coming a mile away! 8) :wink: Nice one young `n`.
10*

Jaysen

Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:42 pm Post

Thank you Mr K. Thank you.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

vic-k

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:34 pm Post

Y`re welcome. :wink: