English - why I hate Americans

JohnstonMR
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:26 pm Post

Jacqi Corgan wrote:
pink wrote:I totally agree with that - and even more interesting is how they vary - it's not like a graduated scale of accent from north to south, there are some places where the differences make really no sense at all! Some area seem to be like isolated alien landing sites.

Wow! It's the same over here! There are certain areas in this town where the people speak as if they left the South just yesterday. It's because when the tire factories were in their heyday, Goodyear, Firestone, B.F. Goodrich, etc., desperate for labor, used to recruit workers from down South. (BTW, the jobs have since migrated south, where workers were a little less likely to join the URW and where wages were cheaper.)

Boston, CT has something like 12 accents. Within moments of speaking to someone, a native can tell where in particular the person came from. The east coast seems to have more variance in dialect than the western regions, largely as a result of the way the country was settled.

JB, I often roll my eyes at good old Webster, who decided we Americans should spell differently (and use some different words) to further dissociate us from our former nation. I like to spell "color" as "colour," and I used to use British spellings all the time as some sort of affectation, but college professors (most of them British expats) beat that out of me.

pink

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:23 pm Post

With a sausage?
Now writing: random bloggy stuff

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:03 am Post

One post takes us to the vic-k sub level. *sigh*
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

pink

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:11 am Post

My bad, I'm gone.
Now writing: random bloggy stuff

Jaysen

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:28 am Post

pink wrote:My bad, I'm gone.

No you're not. Plane is next week. You can't fool us.

And with the noticeable absence of mr k someone needs to keep us in the sub-levels.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:32 pm Post

You two are doing a good Job by yourselves!
FLUFF
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:56 pm Post

We try. We try. We just are not as good at it as the venerable Mr K though. Our endeavors lack a certain … I don't know … psychosis? that only Mr K can achieve.
Jaysen

KB
Site Admin

Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:34 pm Post

Okay, talking of English and Americans, Americans tell me this, will you:

In this week's FlashForward (yeah yeah, so I'm a sucker for "event" TV, that's not the point), why, oh why, did they have to change the details so that instead of CERN and a fictional version of the Large Hadron Collider being responsible (as it is in the book, apparently, and as it is obviously based on), there was an American national particle accelerator behind the great science, and yet it was still bloody English scientists who were responsible for f***ing everything up. Huh? Huh?

PJ
PJS

Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:49 pm Post

Deeply ingrained in the Amerian psyche -- or at least, in that of American politicians, media executives, and religious leaders -- is an absolute inability to take responsibility for, or acknowledge association with, or even admit awareness of, anything which might in any way be considered a MISTAKE.

Mistakes do happen, of course. Inadvertencies, we may call them. Unfortunate and absolutely unpredictable reversals of fortune precipitated by events beyond the control of ordinary mortals, or even extraordinary mortals.

You know, things like oil spills, clerical abuse, collateral damage. That stuff.

...still, one must assign blame when the offal enters the whirling blades, mustn't one? It needn't be an even remotely guilty party; it need only be one whose potential for guilt is not beyone the pale.

In short, anyone but us.

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

Jaysen

Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:55 pm Post

dang you pjs! stop stealing my thunder.

We won the war? A couple of times? ;)

We can't originate. Most inventions are created by foreign nationals. But since the FN works from some American Corp America get the credit for the good. When things go south it is the terrible foreigner who made a mistake.

Basically we we make great thugs.
Jaysen

Jacqi Corgan

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:23 pm Post

Also deeply ingrained into the American psyche is a disturbing willingness to accept bullshit over truth, when that bullshit fits comfortably within one's own preconceived notions. Remember, we're the descendants of people who immigrated here because they believed that the streets of America were literally paved with gold--and I confess that my great-grandmother was among them. (Granted, she was only 13 when she arrived here from Austria, but still!) Gullibility is apparently part of our national genome.
A scrivener using Scrivener. (Credit to xiamenese! :) )

Jaysen

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:29 pm Post

Jacqi Corgan wrote: Gullibility is apparently part of our national genome.

Gullibility or predisposition to hope?

Similar symptoms, but I think the slow death of hope in our culture is leading to the increase of cynicism and skepticism (non-religious) that we are seeing in the younger generations. My generation was a leader in this move toward a social "f you all since we are all doomed" hopelessness that seems so pervasive today.

I am probably wrong.
Jaysen

Wock

Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:49 pm Post

I can only answer this with a few simple questions.

(1) What is more popular in foreign countries?
The "American" Dream or the "British" Dream?

(2) What country was one of the largest empires, had one of the largest modern armies, one of the most advanced navy at the time and still lost a war against farmers and shoe makers?

(3) What country has more millionaires and billionaires? England or America?

(4) Is "Hollywood" not the most popular entertainment name for actors?

(5) Where are a majority of books printed at. In England or in America?

(6) What country is more of a household name across the globe?

(7) Who on average has better teeth?

(8) Where does more innovation occur at. England or America?

(9) Where do a majority of all the musicians go to get discovered?

(10) What is more common across the globe and in print. English spelling or American Spelling.

But as a bone to all the Brits, you do have James Bond.
:-)
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Jaysen

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:08 pm Post

and Keith Blount.
Jaysen

KB
Site Admin

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:51 pm Post

We also have a solid sense of superiority. :)