Bread - why I hate Americans

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:20 pm Post

Mr gr, The context in which you are using, 'slaver', is obviously a grism. You can`t seriously expect the sophisticates on this side of the pond, i.e., vic-kalikes, to be familiar with your inappropriate usage/loony linguistic idiosyncratization of the mother tongue.

Mr Wick,
Mr gr, and vic-k, were discussing the making of cheese`n`onion/ham`n`mustard butties ( sarnies (sandwiches)), not mops. Vic-k doesn`t need a mop to clean his plate...he uses his tongue.

Fluff
P.S. Where`s the three legged mutt gone? I see vic-k`s using his passport piccy, for his avatar
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:55 am Post

vic-k wrote:Mr gr, The context in which you are using, 'slaver', is obviously a grism. You can`t seriously expect the sophisticates on this side of the pond, i.e., vic-kalikes, to be familiar with your inappropriate usage/loony linguistic idiosyncratization of the mother tongue.

Fluffster, say it ain't so.

1693 DRYDEN, etc., tr. Juvenal's Sat. vii. 144 With white Froth his Gown is slaver'd o'er.

1819 SOUTHEY Lett. (1856) III. 135 Provided it be slavered over with a froth of philosophy.

OED. QED.

~gr

Ah, the pitch and froth of philosophy, eh?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:02 am Post

Perhaps Fluff has the Compact OED, and lost the magnifying glass!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

gr

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:03 am Post

Or perhaps "the bottle-ale slauereth" under the table at the Red Lion.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:09 am Post

But in those quotes, it is evident that — clearly in the first, metaphorically in the second — the slavering consists of froth/foam/saliva from the mouth ... the mind boggles at gr's sandwich. It would seem to have been produced by Fluffy (the one in "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", I hasten to add.)

All of which means I astonish myself by finding myself in the vic-k camp!
:twisted:
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Hu
Hugh

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:14 am Post

Err, "slathered", anybody?
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

xiamenese

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:20 am Post

Reminds me of my wife's continuous irritation when she worked in a delicatessen in Richmond (Surrey!) and customers kept asking for "a slither of cheese" in their sandwiches!

:)
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

vic-k

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:57 am Post

Hugh wrote:Err, "slathered", anybody?
Thank you Mr Hugh. 'Slathered', is most apposite, apropos vic-k`s disgusting, uncouth eating habits. But, then again, in its proper context, so is, 'slaver'. The expression, 'Stomach churning', also comes to mind.
xiamenese wrote:finding myself in the vic-k camp!
Not a habit to be cultivated, Mr. Mark. The novelty diminisheth faster than the speed of light.

Fluff
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Wreybies

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:30 pm Post

And in other news....

If bread in America is to be envied, I can assure that bread as a cultural dynamic in my home of Puerto RIco is to be coveted and stalked in a manner that only the medula oblongata can truly understand. The neocortex is yet to young and inexperienced.

I am not so much a fan of the American concept of bread, which by its nature and decent is rather German in derivation.

Bread in my home looks like what one thinks of as French Bread, but looks are deceiving. A shark looks like a dolphin, but cut them open and they are worlds apart.

Come to my little tropical island and have some pan soba'o and know that you will be ruined on anything else with the temerity to call itself bread.

Wrey

gr

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:23 pm Post

Hugh or someone similar wrote:Err, "slathered" anybody?

Not lately. :oops:

I was just going to flip my badge on this one, but it seems my poetic license has expired. Crunch.

Hu
Hugh

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:44 pm Post

gr wrote:
Hugh or someone similar wrote:Err, "slathered" anybody?

Not lately. :oops:

Ha. Yes, I saw the potential for this about a nano-second after I pressed "Submit". :)
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

ptram

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:28 pm Post

Today, while walking back from another unsuccesful attempt at finding a ticket at the Opéra Bastille, I could finally buy some bread in the civic center of Paris (just behind Saint-Gervais, between rue Verrerie et rue du Temple). A bakery open at Easter, with smell of baked bread coming out of the shop. All youngs at the shelfs. All very kind and helpful.

Despite the late hour, and the shelf already half-empty, it was very difficult to choose something. You know, in my country there is only one type of local bread per region. Here in Paris, "local" means an inventory of the world (or at least the France, that is no small). So I choose a mix of ease of transport and adventure: a baguette with sesame, small and new for me.

I started my trip back to home. Somewhat dramatic, due to the obssession of French bakers with the traditional way of packaging - or not packaging - only half of the baguette. Can you imagine the train station of Les Halles (the exact center of Paris) at Easter? And this man going around, crossing gates, with his exposed bread under his arm? Once aboard, the little girl sitting in front of me, in the train de banlieu, continued to send questioning looks at me and my still safe baguette.

Now, after tasting this baguette, I understand Paris and myself a bit better. The first certitude I acquired is that the banlieu might be part of the same conurbation of the civic center, but they are two worlds apart. The second was that I feel at home only in the residence of kings, or at least of their highest ministers. Therefore, I assume mine is a desperate case.

That baguette was fantastic. It seems there is a network of bakery even in this case (Label Rouge), but probably the work and skills of the baker was the central issue. The look itself of the exposed bread was different than the one I can find out of the city. And what to say of the various cakes, proud and with no hint of wilting?

Also, I can maledict once more the regional law that allows bakers of my native region to mix flour and malt. This baguette is pure flour. I assume the artisan's bread I can purchase twice a week when at home has no added malt. The bread of my region is simply inedible - and it contains malt.

Ok, now I guess it is time for another snack...

Paolo

vic-k

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:44 am Post

Paolo!
You`re such a,'Hedonist'!
vic

ptram

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:38 am Post

Yup! Or, the future emperor!

vic-k

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:16 pm Post

ptram wrote:Yup! Or, the future emperor!
Ahha! An Hedonistic Egotist! Or is it, Egg-otist? :wink:
Vic