Bread - why I hate Americans

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:09 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Janra, Frozen bread is unpleasant if you don't use it like you do, which is pretty much right away. If you put a loaf in the freezer and let is sit for about 2 weeks in it original bag, you will see what all the complaining is about.

2 weeks is frequently how long it takes me to finish a loaf...

Maybe I'm just used to it. It's what I grew up with. Mom would make 8-10 loaves at once, we'd devour one that day, thick-sliced and hot, and the rest would go into the freezer. Now they buy instead of bake, but it still goes into the freezer immediately. I never understood breadboxes; you leave bread out for a day and it goes stale.

pink

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:00 am Post

Because we eat bread too quickly for it to go stale that's not a problem in our house, but for anyone else - putting it in the freezer is the sensible way to make it last. Many people probably do throw out loads of stale bread, yet another example of how wasteful we can be.

My hatred of frozen bread is pure teenaged angst about the whole ordeal!
Now writing: random bloggy stuff

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:35 pm Post

For waste, you can't beat a friend of my wife's who buys a loaf of bread, eats a couple of slices and the minute it hits the "sell-by date" it goes in the bin ... loaf upon loaf.

@ Paul, when I was talking about bread in China, I was referring to anything that tenuously resembles bread as we know it mostly. Here the filled steamed buns — "roubao" with meat or "caibao" (tsai...) with vegetables — are infinitely preferable to anything I've had in London ... the dough is still a bit sweet to my taste, but it has a much better texture, and I've never encountered anything like spam in them. That said, a local company does make a mean tinned luncheon meat, which bears virtually no relation to the spam that filled the greasy fritters at school. :)

@ Keith, I think part of the problem in the UK is that much of the population, though it varies by area, have been educated out of eating real bread ... just like a friend of mine, now in her 50s, who will only eat fish if it comes in the form of fish fingers! It's the supermarket vicious circle. Never buy your bread from a supermarket.

Challenge for you all, especially fellow Brits ... how many of you eat liver, kidneys and heart?

@ Whoever it was ... I love real French bread, what you get in France from the little baker round the corner. Whatever you get in the UK is normally a very poor imitation. It's the flour that counts; you can't make French bread with English flour (or American, I bet).

@ Vic-K ... Irish soda bread is fine if well made, but give me sour dough made from unbleached flour any day. And I don't eat butter, so I won't be joining you, I'm afraid.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

pink

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:03 pm Post

When I was in china as a 15year old, we found the "continental" breakfasts to be a truly bizzare option.
Now writing: random bloggy stuff

Wock

Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:14 pm Post

The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:29 pm Post

How many loaves would it take to pay that sucker off? don't forget the electricity needed to run it.

The best bread makers in the world are right at the end of your arms.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Wock

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:20 am Post

Jaysen wrote:How many loaves would it take to pay that sucker off? don't forget the electricity needed to run it.

The best bread makers in the world are right at the end of your arms.

well if you are on a budget...
$44.00
Sunbeam Programmable Breadmaker, 5891
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3294078

As to the best bread makers being at the end of your arms. Look at Vic-k He is missing an arm/leg

But I bet he could bark up a nice loaf
:-)

Th
Thequietone

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:03 pm Post

Due to a glut of bananas I have made banana bread.
Damn successful.

The secret is the bicarbonate of soda which produces carbon dioxide and makes the dough/batter fluffy.
Previous attempt was a cooked lump. Tasted great and I still ate it.

Paul

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:25 pm Post

Thequietone wrote:makes the dough/batter fluffy.
Fluffy!!!! :shock:

Fluff
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Wock

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm Post

vic-k wrote:

Fluff

defurred beforehand of course

Jaysen

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:51 pm Post

Wock wrote:
vic-k wrote:

Fluff

defurred beforehand of course

And gently kneaded.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Wock

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:14 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:And gently kneaded.

"purrrrrrr"

Th
Thequietone

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:45 pm Post

And gently kneaded.[/quote]

Errrrrrr. I used a Magimix engine. Thats why I noted in the post the use of a chemical to introduce carbon dioxide to raise the batter/dough to fearsome heights only to relieve the CO2 into the atmosphere and murder a dolphin.

The glut of bananas comes about because on Sundays an "unlicensed" market stall opens outside a pub I drink in. Come closing time they let you fill a cardboard box with a mixture of whatever you like for a tenner. Anything to get some money in. I have had to turn 2kgs of cherry tomatoes into tomato sauce and I am sick of organic peppers the size of a babies head.

What will I do this coming Sunday ? Probably the same again as greed and drink mix so well together.

Paul

Wock

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:01 pm Post

Beer Bread?

Jaysen

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:50 pm Post

Skip the bread.
Jaysen

ImageImage