Bread - why I hate Americans

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:59 pm Post

Jaysen wrote: is hard enough for me to make out what he is trying to communicate.
I just luv irony

Thequietone wrote:You end up eating barbecued kitty on a stick from a hawker stall and risking your intestinal life.
:shock: :evil: Fluff
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

pink

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:08 pm Post

I had a dilemma about the mould mold thing, but I was too lazy to go and find out which was correct! My general way of checking spelling is to type the word into my google toolbar and see what it suggests I might have actually meant.
Now writing: random bloggy stuff

vic-k

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:16 pm Post

It`s a Brit /Yank thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold
Don`t read about the mo(u)ld though. Y` don`t wanna go there! :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

vic-k

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:12 pm Post

pink wrote: I routinely scrape off the mold and give it to my children.
Tell me Madam, compared to other children of your acquaintance, do your children, appear, fundamentally different, in any way. Do you feed fungal contaminated bread to Mr Boxershorts?
Dr Mulality

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:40 am Post

Thequietone wrote:The worst bread in the world (IMHO) is in Thailand.

Its sweet. Not like Brioche or other sweet breads but like white sugar added to cottony Mothers Pride ( a nasty bread brand in UK)

You buy a savoury sandwich and take a bite and its disgusting. You throw it at a soi dog and they are not too keen eating it.

You end up eating barbecued kitty on a stick from a hawker stall and risking your intestinal life.

Good peasant bread in Greece and Turkey.

Paul

I was intending to write in and say "What are you lot complaining about? Try coming to China ... other than Beijing or Shanghai or other foreign-ghetto infested cities." Chinese have lots of "breads", and they're all awful, sweet, no-crust, pappy, flaccid, flannel. Even their steamed "mantou" comes in two flavours "savoury" = sweet, and "sweet" = "savoury"+sugar.

But, having lived in Bangkok for years, I agree with Paul about Thai bread ... the Thai name means "sweet/pudding pain (as in bread in French!)" which says a lot. The thing about China is, just as there is a much larger population, there are many, many more varieties of "mian bao" ... all awful. In the north-east though, there is "Nang", which is obviously related to Indian "naan", though more leathery and cooked more like a paratha with less oil, together with flat-breads usually flavoured with Chinese
"chives" ... they're much better, but if you want our style of bread ... you're hard put to it somewhere like Xiamen.

Oh, and KB, I've had very nice "leopard bread" in Cornwall ... round Penzance. And maybe we're spoiled in West London, but we can get really good bread locally in Chiswick.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Th
Thequietone

Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:53 am Post

Yet to experience Chinese bread in China. My experience of pork buns in London's Chinatown was bad.
A sweet brioche type roll with a glaze containing shards of spam...

I am told that Laos and Cambodia has good bread because of the former French influence, same for beer. But as I have only been in Cambodia 45 minutes I can make no comment.

Bread making is a skill separate from cooking. I made "easy" banana bread a few days ago. It didnt rise at all and became a moist baked dough. Tastes delicious but looks like a pavement slab. Still eating it though...

Paul

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:16 am Post

I can't stand to read a thread where everyone is having fun, drooling over food that I can't have. Anyway, I'm one of those misfortunates who suffer from celiac disease and can't eat bread. I would love to, but I can't digest it. My gut regards it as alien, an invader. Almost like an auto-immune reaction. The trouble comes from both yeast and gluten, apparently. I do tolerate crackers and yeast-free flat breads, but they are a poor sub for a fresh loaf warm from the oven, or biscuits with melting butter, or french toast and waffles hot from the griddle. Or corn dodgers and hoe cakes, indian pudding; all that great stuff that forms a leaden mass in the duodenum. Pardon while I stagger off to find a Pepcid AC. :mrgreen:

ja
janra

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:47 am Post

I'm almost afraid to ask... why the hate for frozen bread?

I can't finish a loaf before it goes mouldy on the counter, so I pop it in the freezer while it's still fresh. Shake loose a couple of slices whenever I need bread, and keep the rest frozen.

I'd never ever have bread if it weren't for my freezer.

Jaysen

Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:19 am Post

Druid,

Have you tried sourdough? much lower yeast content if made from scratch starter. Once you have a started it is just regular bread with a nice crust and moist crumb.

Janra, Frozen bread is unpleasant if you don't use it like you do, which is pretty much right away. If you put a loaf in the freezer and let is sit for about 2 weeks in it original bag, you will see what all the complaining is about. That or you have a freezer dedicated to bread that the defrost very frequently. We freeze loafs for about 3 days max and never have problems (unless there is something odious in the fridge (typically something I am making)).
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

xiamenese

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:08 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Druid,
Have you tried sourdough? much lower yeast content if made from scratch starter. Once you have a started it is just regular bread with a nice crust and moist crumb.

I would add, if you want to go one further and can get it does spelt bread help. In Chiswick, London W, we have shops that sell sour-dough bread made with spelt ... It's delicious, one of my favourites. A lot of people who are intolerant of wheat can eat bread made with spelt, and I'd actually go for a sour-dough bread over a yeasty bread any day, for both taste and texture.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

vic-k

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:29 pm Post

Anyone like Irish Soda Bread?
Vic

Th
Thequietone

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:00 pm Post

Yes.
I have had soda bread in one of those fake Oirish pubs abroad and it tasted great. Served warm with melting butter.
Unfortunately I want to try it in Ireland before I "know " it.

Paul

Skallegrim

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:36 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Anyone like Irish Soda Bread?

Yes.
Write Your Novel in 30 Days—A 10-Step Guide:
9) Don't stop to research

why, oh why, didn't I listen to Garda?

vic-k

Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:22 pm Post

Tescos make one called 'Wheaten Loaf' in their on site bakeries.
Toast it...butter it...let butter melt into toast, then...butter it again! Ahh bejeeezus!!

pink

Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:27 am Post

I would also add that while cooking and domestic chicanery is not and was not my mother's forte, it was more due to the fact that she did this while I was a teenager, so by the ancient creed, I was honour bound to hate everything about it. Why she couldn't behave like a normal mother, and get in her car and go and fetch me some fresh bread whenever I wanted it I'll never know.

Now that I am a mother, I will probably be forced to do the same thing to my own children.
Now writing: random bloggy stuff