Why I hate my iPhone

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:32 pm Post

I love my Macbook Pro. It is the computer I had hoped it would be. Yet it sits idle from the minute I leave the office to the minute I get back to the office. Why? Because of my iPhone. Instead of using my mac for basic surfing, aligning schedules with snort, email, etc, I use my phone. I have even started using this odd substance called "paper" for writing (it is pretty forgiving, but not very editable if you use the wrong glyph render engine). I suddenly find myself wondering if I even need a computer for home. If it wasn't for my use of moneywell for personal accounting I don't know what else I would really need system for.

*sigh* I guess I am no longer a geek.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:54 pm Post

No longer a geek? Possible, but not likely.

A simple question: how many apps on your iPhone?
If you can answer that, then either you only have one screens worth (and hence never were a geek) or you have too many to actually load on your iPhone at once AND calculated the number of active apps rather than counting them (in which case you are, definitely, a geek). If you can't answer it, then you probably tried to calculate all your apps, both active and inactive, and the fact that you have inactive apps in iTunes also proves you're a geek.

If there remains any doubt, start using pen and paper exclusively for a while. If you start developing a hard to resist attraction to "special" pens and begin developing highly personalised paper "systems" to track your day, then no more evidence is needed - you are, and remain, a geek.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Jaysen

Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:52 pm Post

Apps on iPhone == 5. Darts, Dots, Sudoku, Remote, Multiconvert.
Number of pages == 2.
Main page contains only "what I need". Maps, contacts, calendar, Multiconvert, Notes)
Main bar has phone, safari, mail and ipod.

And I have not jail broken the phone.

I already have a request in for that Pule Smartpen. Mostly for work. For home … I wish I still had my old parker fountain pen. Never wrote anything worth reading with it (other than letter the then not mrs) but it sure made pretty lines on the paper.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Wock

Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:44 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:*sigh* I guess I am no longer a geek.

Depends on if you refer to your iPhone as an "iphone" or as a "Newton 2.0"
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Jaysen

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:09 pm Post

Nice to see you back feather duster. Hope all is well.

I not have my pulse pen. How the heck did I survive with out this? the OCR package (an extra third party app) is actually pretty good. I have yet to try the winblows versions as the only feature that I see as useful is the ability to print paper. Considering that I have more than I need now, they may have that added to the mac desktop before I actually need it.

At least the pen requires the Mac for OCR. I find the animation for playback on the mac nice too. I didn't realize how much my meager brain disassociated the actual notes from the real point in time of the conversation. This explains why I failed spanish so terribly.
Jaysen

ImageImage

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:44 pm Post

Wock wrote:Depends on if you refer to yo...

Ahh, the winged wassack! Welcome back, y` fluttering freak.

I trust all is well, with thee and thyne?

Take care Wuck
Fluff
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Wock

Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 pm Post

All is well now. For awhile now my wife and I have had to suffer through a series of unfortunate events but alas all is well for now. :-)

Now if I can only find where I left my pants...
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

pink

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:21 pm Post

before version 3.0, I was horrified to discovered that I could only have 9 pages of apps on my iphone. It was a really low point in my life.
Now writing: random bloggy stuff

vic-k

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:44 pm Post

pink wrote:t was a really low point in my life.
I can well imagine! :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:14 pm Post

I've only had my iPhone for a few days and I love it dearly. Of course, I haven't managed to make it do anything yet but still...
J

vic-k

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:20 pm Post

pink wrote:It was a really low point in my life.
Jot wrote:I love it dearly. Of course, I haven't managed to make it do anything yet but still...
:shock: The mind doth boggle!

pink

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:28 pm Post

boggle your mind with the "massage" app.

vic-k

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:43 pm Post

..if only...if only :(

pink

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:53 pm Post

although what I'd like most is an "orgasmatron" which the iphone simply can't replicate!

vic-k

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:06 pm Post

wots an orgas matron? A farty old woman?