Fall of Western Civilization, Was Has Windows Version 3 Been Scrapped?

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:08 am Post

lunk wrote:
Jaysen wrote:I’m near to withdrawing from all social media and forums

... except this one, I hope? :cry:

Well... the tenor of "communications" has degraded over the years on my most favored forum... This one. It used to be that we could discuss ANYTHING without anyone saying much more than "I disagree, and here's why" then we'd go drink virtual libations to each other's ability to make a cogent, if disagreed, argument (yes, a cogent argument can still be viewed as wrong). These days most threads seem to degrade to name calling and the disparaging of ones mental capacity within a few pages. And NO ONE even talks politics here.

If a group of well educated (excepting me of course), self-professed "good with words" people can not carry on a discussion without temper-tantrums, name calling, and reporting each other to Kewms, is there any point in participating in ANY social media? Even the forums here?

I miss the days when folks like Devin and I could be in "violent disagreement" and, when I mention it, Devin is surprised. Not surprised that I disagreed, but that I was "holding a grudge" about the disagreement. His surprise was that I never said anything to him about it. I never said anything because Devin, and everyone else on the internet deserves the same level of respect that I want. I want to be respected as a person that has a RIGHT TO AN OPINION NO MATTER HOW MUCH ANYONE DISAGREES WITH IT.

To have that right, we must extended it UNCONDITIONALLY to everyone around us.
Unconditionally.
Irrespective of the offense or distaste their opinion creates in our OPINION.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, no matter how wrong is it.

This is a cornerstone of civilized, modern society. Yet it is missing in most conversations. Read back through this thread and tell me I'm wrong. Look at it objectively. I think you will see what so many find frustrating.

For the record, I'm not pointing at you Lunk. Or you Devin. Or anyone else. It is a collective disease we all seem to have on occasion. And it is spreading much faster than Covid :)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:43 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Everyone has the right to an opinion, no matter how wrong is it.

This is a cornerstone of civilized, modern society. Yet it is missing in most conversations. Read back through this thread and tell me I'm wrong. Look at it objectively. I think you will see what so many find frustrating.

I agree! :D
The thing that has surprised me the most lately is that people seem to get offended by questions. To me, questions can have two purposes: either enlighten me about something I don’t understand or try to make the "opponent" see the subject matter from a different angle. But lately, people seem to react to questions as if they are meant as a personal offense in disguise. Weird...

But maybe I am prejudiced by many years in an academic, scientific environment.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Jaysen

Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:45 pm Post

You and I were taught the Socratic method of debate and discovery. Mainly that questions are posed to assist in the process of mutually agreed or disagreed facts. and from that basis of agreed facts one then builds a cause.

I’m not sure how people are basing the thought processes for logic today, but it appears to an exclusive method vs the inclusive methods we tend to employ.

Long winded way of saying my dusty philosophy and logic systems are no longer welcome in the young world of the internet. hence my thoughts of meandering to the virtual door and showing myself out.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Silverdragon

Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:43 pm Post

Jaysen & Lunk,

I too was taught formal debate and occasional teachers and professors used the Socratic method at me.

I was never comfortable with it. Looking back, I now believe it reminded me far too much of the verbal abuse I received as a child. Growing up, a question (especially a "why" question) was almost never a simple request for information in my family; it was more often a preliminary to a sneering put-down, to be followed by physical abuse if I didn't immediately display the attitude the abusing parent wanted. In this atmosphere I learned that simply professing ignorance ("I dunno") skipped the preliminaries and went straight to the verbal abuse, often bypassing physical punishment.

I was never invited to my school debate teams, which suited me well. I could not produce a rebuttal—I was paralysed by fear. This was one of the factors that led me out of academia—me? Defend a thesis? Not happening.

I've spent the last decade and a half exorcising these ghosts from my personal relationships. I now submit to abuse or commit it much less often. I've (almost :wink:) stopped posting in these controversial threads. Which leads me to my point:

I avoid two things in my posts which are often weapons of both debate and verbal abuse: sarcasm/irony and "why" questions.

Sarcasm or irony comes across poorly in posts. It's often seen where not intended anyway. If a luminary like Neil Gaiman avoids it in his blog, who am I to think I can wield this double-edged sword without cutting myself? I avoid the stuff completely now.

"Why" questions in verbal abuse are often used to get the victim to state a position which the abuser then derides with sarcasm and personal attacks. Former victims of abuse are particularly sensitive to that word. If I need to ask questions of someone I'm trying to help on the forums, I avoid "why" and try to make clear that I need more information in order to offer useful suggestions.

It seems to me that folks who post on the forums are more and more sensitive to potential abuse, and are likely to pre-emptively (counter)attack if they detect it. Yes, this is counter to the spirit of academic debate and the Socratic method. Yes, they are taking things personally that aren't intended that way. Myself, I'm more than happy to drop both debate and Socrates by the wayside.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 14.0.1

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:24 pm Post

FWIW, academic and scientific environments can be toxic, too. Questions can be used in the spirit of free inquiry, to understand potential assumptions, but can also be used to belittle and dismiss while wrapping the questioner in a mantle of "scientific objectivity."

Silverdragon wrote:"Why" questions in verbal abuse are often used to get the victim to state a position which the abuser then derides with sarcasm and personal attacks. Former victims of abuse are particularly sensitive to that word. If I need to ask questions of someone I'm trying to help on the forums, I avoid "why" and try to make clear that I need more information in order to offer useful suggestions.

It seems to me that folks who post on the forums are more and more sensitive to potential abuse, and are likely to pre-emptively (counter)attack if they detect it. Yes, this is counter to the spirit of academic debate and the Socratic method. Yes, they are taking things personally that aren't intended that way. Myself, I'm more than happy to drop both debate and Socrates by the wayside.

Forums generally (the internet generally!) can be pretty toxic, even for people who don't have unhappy life histories. Which of course leads to more toxicity, as people who are primed to expect abusive behavior are likely to be "jumpy" and reactive even when a question is offered in good faith. That seems to be a fairly common pattern in these threads in particular. Responding to "what's the status of Windows 3?" with "why do you care?" is neither friendly nor helpful, and is pretty much guaranteed to get an angry response. Long time forum members have seen the pattern play out often enough to know better.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

lunk

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:00 pm Post

When I ask why it is usually in the spirit of Toyota’s ”ask ’why?’ three times”. I am curious by nature, like a cat.
But Silverdragon’s post makes sense. I never experienced that kind of verbal abuse as child but I can understand what you are describing.

I’ll try to ask in another way next time, to avoid being seen as hostile.
Thanks for the post Silverdragon.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Silverdragon

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:06 pm Post

You're welcome, Lunk!

Silverdragon

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:20 pm Post

kewms wrote:FWIW, academic and scientific environments can be toxic, too. Questions can be used in the spirit of free inquiry, to understand potential assumptions, but can also be used to belittle and dismiss while wrapping the questioner in a mantle of "scientific objectivity."

Well...I didn't want to say that, but yes. I experienced some of that, too.
kewms wrote: Forums generally (the internet generally!) can be pretty toxic, even for people who don't have unhappy life histories. Which of course leads to more toxicity, as people who are primed to expect abusive behavior are likely to be "jumpy" and reactive even when a question is offered in good faith. That seems to be a fairly common pattern in these threads in particular.

An excellent point, which explains why I seem to find this sort of thing more and more often on forums and social media. Even more reason to practice my recently-learned non-abuse skills!

Teriodin
Platform: Windows

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:19 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:To have that right, we must extended it UNCONDITIONALLY to everyone around us.
Unconditionally.
Irrespective of the offense or distaste their opinion creates in our OPINION.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, no matter how wrong is it.

This is a cornerstone of civilized, modern society.

I agree with that, apart from it being a cornerstone of modern society any longer.

We have 'hate speech' laws in the UK. We may no longer express an opinion freely. It is endemic in our supposedly civilised society that 'being offended' is now regarded as the basis for criminal charges against the offender.

Sorry. Just an issue that really gets me annoyed.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, no matter how wrong it is. :mrgreen:
-- Connor

Jaysen

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:28 pm Post

Teriodin wrote:
Jaysen wrote:This is a cornerstone of civilized, modern society.

I agree with that, apart from it being a cornerstone of modern society any longer.

I was not intending to say "this is how it is today" as much as "this is what MUST BE". When a society or government limits the RIGHT of the people to hold and express an opinion freely, it become a tyranny. These tyrannies end in either decades of oppression or in rebellion.

Or; If we do not study history, we are doomed to repeat it.
Jaysen

ImageImage

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 pm Post

This thread is contentious enough when it confines itself to Scrivener. Please take discussions of the decline and fall of Western civilization elsewhere.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

DavidR
Platform: Windows

Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:46 pm Post

Katherine is right, of course. Jaysen, Teriodin, SilverDragon, Lunk, and others, if there's a general-off-topic-whatnot venue in these forums where this could be continued, I'd be interested in joining in.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

Silverdragon

Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:28 am Post

We're here in "And Now For That Latte", DavidR. Please express your opinions freely! (Almost) anything goes, here...

Silverdragon

Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:31 am Post

And I'll start off by saying, as a part of the aforementioned process of exorcising abusive ghosts, I've come to the conclusion that I can't afford to decide that any opinion is "wrong." I may think it's narrow; I may think it doesn't take into account factors that I personally find important... but wrong? If I start there, I'm halfway back to my old abuse-cycle ways.

lunk

Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:17 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:I can't afford to decide that any opinion is "wrong."

This is a tricky one, and one in which ’opinion’ is often confused with ’fact’.

(Yes, I know, there are no facts, strictly speaking, just the currently dominating hypotheses aming scientists; I know, I’m one of them)

Opinions are mostly based on how we value things, and that’s a personal choice. Like "Me and my family having decent leaving conditions is more important to me than the existence of some obscure insect, so I won’tvsupport scrapping western society to save that bug". But then we have all thióse cases where the opnion is based on false facts, and where the person refuses to accept that the facts are wrong.