What's your favourite displacement activity?

enitharmon
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:30 am Post

You know, those things that just have to be done when you should be settling to prime writing time.
When I've done the Guardian cryptic and quick crosswords and all three New York Times sudokus (sudoki?), my pencils are all sharp, my fountain pens are all full of ink and things are looking desperate, I play SimCity.

Sad, really...

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:14 am Post

Displacement? Definitely sinking into a hot bath in the winter months.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

xiamenese

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:28 am Post

In no particular order: crosswords (Times cryptic, quick cryptic), cooking, jigsaws on my iPad (you don't lose the pieces!).

:wink:

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

xiamenese

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:30 am Post

AmberV wrote:Displacement? Definitely sinking into a hot bath in the winter months.

In which case one ought to ask "How much do you displace?" :lol:

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:38 am Post

Almost certainly not enough! :mrgreen:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:05 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
AmberV wrote:Displacement? Definitely sinking into a hot bath in the winter months.

In which case one ought to ask "How much do you displace?" :lol:

Mark

See... this gets me into trouble. One of my girls displaces 600lbs, the other (not really my girl, but I borrow her on occasion) is about 4 tons. I'm about to start with another one and she will displace about 1800lbs dry and a bit over 3200 loaded and wet.

And to clarify for those that scratching their heads...
Martens-Goosen v12
J-Boats J30
Class Mini 580
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:10 pm Post

I can turn almost anything available into a displacement activity, if there is something I should be doing and other things that I don't need to be doing. But I'm ashamed to say that the biggest time sink is Civilization 5. I blame my nephew. If he hadn't shown me the game, I would never have known it existed.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:36 pm Post

Favourite? Displacement involving my horse...
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:09 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:And to clarify for those that scratching their heads...
Martens-Goosen v12
J-Boats J30
Class Mini 580

I've got my eyes on Leopard 46s...but that would probably be a bad first boat.

I was amused to plug in "Martens-Goosen v12" into my search engine of choice and have the first result be your page.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

devinganger

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:12 pm Post

Lately, working on electric guitar lessons, finishing up my playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 2 (so I can then finish Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and then start on my Father's Day gift of Witcher 3), reading, and watching YouTube sailing videos.

It would include taking more sailing training classes, but the US Power Squadrons don't seem to be in any hurry to get their classes turned into an online format...
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

Jaysen

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:16 am Post

devinganger wrote:
Jaysen wrote:And to clarify for those that scratching their heads...
Martens-Goosen v12
J-Boats J30
Class Mini 580

I've got my eyes on Leopard 46s...but that would probably be a bad first boat.

I was amused to plug in "Martens-Goosen v12" into my search engine of choice and have the first result be your page.

Start small maybe not as small as I did, but a 46’ cat makes it way too easy to be a sloppy sailor.

Check out the classglobe580.com for a current view of “Jaysen is forking nuts!!”
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Mi
Micha

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:04 am Post

Reading - it's ALWAYS research, you see.
Well, perhaps not all of it is.
Ok, ok - hardly any of it is.

Otherwise it's getting/staying fit so swimming...but since the local pools are closed... :(. and, I'm too much of a Mediterranean wimp to brave the cold Scottish sea.

So it's back to reading.
This time it really is research...honest...

enitharmon

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:13 pm Post

I'm thinking of taking up beekeeping. Now that is an activity that takes up a lot of time I could be writing...

Camy

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:18 pm Post

enitharmon wrote:I'm thinking of taking up beekeeping. Now that is an activity that takes up a lot of time I could be writing...

Yes, a lot of time. Also, as a boon, there's the screaming, the swatting - complete with flailing arms, and the hospital visits to look forward to. :twisted:
ImageImage

MacPro 7.5 - Scrivener & Scapple
Lenovo - Ubuntu/Win 8.1- Scrivener & Scapple

pigfender

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:29 pm Post

I’ve got a very complex system in place designed to make sure that I never have to actually, you know, write something.

Firstly, I make sure I’ve got several projects on the go so that I divide what little energy I have very thinly, and guarantee that in the rare occasions I’m actually typing words that I still have other projects to feel guilty about neglecting.

Secondly, I invented a writing event (novelinaday.com) so I can make sure I have an outlet for story ideas and creative energy that doesn’t count towards my personal projects.

Thirdly, I have a day job that means that, although I spend the day dreaming about writing, I spend any snatched writing time worrying about working.

Fourthly, I have decided to become a YouTuber. I have produced no videos (of course), but have set up a page with an awesome header and logo. I also have a wonderful animated production “vanity card”.

I find these four strategies are generally sufficient to prevent work. In the unlikely event that I do find myself trying to work on that novel, one of two things is destined to happen:

One, Mrs PF will start talking to me (a wonderful distraction, of course), or two...

I visit the Literature and Latte forum.

(PS. I am also really into photography, and play guitar in a band)
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image