WWDC - Snow Leopard

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:02 am Post

kewms wrote:Meanwhile, the advantage of text communication -- email, text messaging, blogging -- is that it's asynchronous. If someone sends me an email, I can think it over at my leisure, and respond appropriately. I can control when (and if) my day is interrupted. And doing so is considered normal and polite, where routinely ignoring your phone is considered eccentric at best.

In China, that is an understatement. Not only is it eccentric not to answer your phone immediately ... and many, many people have two or even three of the damn things ... there are many professors at the university who will always answer their phone if it rings in the middle of a lecture they are giving ... but texting has risen to new heights ... of danger*.

It is now common to see drivers texting while driving. My Chinese "daughter" appalled me the other week. She has an iPhone; iPhones/iTouches allow you to enter Chinese by handwriting recognition. She was round at my place, we were enjoying a conversation and a message came through, so she responded immediately ... normal here, and I have had to learn to put up with continued interruptions from her phone while we are together ... she's a journalist and it goes non-stop. I commented on how fast she was able to enter characters with handwriting recognition. She said:

"Yes, it's very fast, but when I'm driving I have to use pinyin (roman transcription used as one entry method) and that's so slow!"

Mark

* An American friend told me that either the laws on phoning while driving are less draconian than in the UK, or that they are more honoured in the breach. In the UK, my wife tells me, you can now face a heavy fine and points on your licence for eating something like an apple while at the wheel, leave alone being anywhere near a mobile phone.
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Juddbert

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:30 pm Post

Sam wrote:
rochefore wrote:I am in the process of doing a lot of research an American intellectual life and I (as a German) can't say I find it superficial. Quite to the contrary.
Yes, the "American Way of Life" seems appallingly materialistic and vulgar at times. But, please, where are we Europeans different?

Please understand, as an American myself I don't believe our culture is entirely without merit, but we seem to exist on a diet of pure intellectual junk food.

rochefore wrote:Trust me, so do we. Just because we are generally speaking more liberal and tolerant doesn't mean that we are intellectually more curious.

Now that's as good an exchange as anything Federer and Roddick came up with. New balls please.
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 3.1.5 on macOS 10.15.6
Occasional player of the old Scappleodium...

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:36 pm Post

Juddbert wrote:New balls please.
:shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Juddbert

Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:57 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Juddbert wrote:New balls please.
:shock:

Ah well Vic. There comes a time in every man's life when... but I'm sure this is something that you're already familiar with, occupying as you do that lofty perch under the table at The Red Lion :wink:

vic-k

Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:21 pm Post

From my lofty perch, I can state categorically, that you wont get it done on the NHS. You`ll have to go private. No point getting new balls, if it`s gonna costs you an arm and a leg.

Bartender!! Same again please.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Juddbert

Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:39 am Post

You know a deal more about delivering a decisive service exchange than you're letting on, don't you?

vic-k

Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:09 pm Post

Juddbert wrote:You know a deal more about delivering a decisive service exchange than you're letting on, don't you?

I really don`t know what the deuce you`re aiming at there, love. :?

Juddbert

Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:57 pm Post

vic-k wrote:I really don`t know what the deuce you`re aiming at there, love. :?

Simply waiting for you to start serving the mixed doubles young Vic. A gin and tonic will do for starters. :wink:

vic-k

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:03 am Post

M`sieur Le Bete,
Why do you not angle your shot for The Grand Slam?

1 1/2 oz Swedish punsch
3/4 oz dry vermouth
3/4 oz sweet vermouth

Bon Chance Mon Brave
Le D :evil:

Juddbert

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:01 pm Post

All a bit too Gaul for my taste old son, I'll stick with the Bombay Sapphire and fizz thank you. Now tidy up that accent and stop all this 'ounces' nonsense. You're not fooling anyone with those fancy airs and graces. You're a Stockport lad; pints and fractions thereof are the order of the day. Ounces - bah! Tha's utter 'umbug!

vic-k

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:59 pm Post

Y` tries t` raise y` game, `n wot `appens: nowt but bloody soddin line call after linecall, from a Celtic umpire!!

Barman!! Same again!!

Jaysen

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:11 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Barman!! Same again!!

Haven't you been kicked enough?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

vic-k

Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:26 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Haven't you been kicked enough?

I come from a long line of masochistic three legged pirate dogs. :(