Lions, and tigers, and...viruses?

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:41 pm Post

Tanith wrote:
Jaysen wrote:It is also "regular flu season" here ... that means every sniffle, cough, fever is fostering panicked screams of "I HAVE MEXICAN BEER VIRUS!!!!"

It's even more amusing when you're afflicted with seasonal allergies, as I am. You get the hairy eyeball every time you sneeze. :shock:

In Feb I had influenza A (positive test). That turned in to bronchitis. That is still with me. I get yelled at sitting on my balcony hacking up a lung sucking on an inhaler. My wife takes me on emergency food runs just to clear out the store at this point. She claims someone asked to borrow me to get quicker access to the drug store. I think she is pulling my leg on that one.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Marc64
Platform: Mac

Mon May 18, 2020 4:55 pm Post

Just spotted this thread. Actually, I've just spotted this section of the forum, I've never scrolled this far down before. :D

So, how is everyone doing? The UK went into lockdown the day the last post was made so we've just started the 9th week. I was already working from home before that then I was furloughed on April 1st, I kid you not. That was until the end of may but I expect that to be extended for another couple of months. Still, more time to write, eh?
Thanks in advance for your patience with this non- techie user

Scrivener 3.1.5
Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.6
Blog: https://marcfalber.co.uk/

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon May 18, 2020 5:20 pm Post

Everything is pretty much as usual where I live, in northern Sweden, except that all universities were told to move to distance education the first days in March. So I don’t have to commute to work (a 45 min drive each way). Instead I talk with colleagues and students via zoom, walk my dog, ride my horse, enjoy the late spring. Feels more like a privilige.

But then Sweden decided not to do a full-scale lockdown. Schools up to 9th grade (16 y olds) are open , public transportation open, shops open, etc. But public gatherings has an upper limit of 50 persons, which means almost all sports are stopped.

And the death rate is still way below the levels in e.g. UK, although higher than in Norway and Finland, and is slowing down now. Half of the deaths have been in Stockholm, which means that the rest of the country has had really low frequencies of sickness and deaths.

So, mostly life is quite normal. Although I do miss Formula 1. :(
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

garpu
Platform: Linux

Tue May 19, 2020 1:56 pm Post

We're getting by. Our state is starting to reopen some things, even though there are still over 100 deaths a day. Masks are mandatory, although there's a not-insignificant amount who think their freedom is being impinged upon. This crisis is really showing the best and worst of people, that's for certain.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

fr
friend
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:50 pm Post

I started doing that when i ran out of movies and series to watch(I actually watched friends once again)! things might not be getting worse but they sure are not getting any better either.
Friends Trivia many fans just fail so hard ...

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:24 pm Post

garpu wrote:We're getting by. Our state is starting to reopen some things, even though there are still over 100 deaths a day. Masks are mandatory, although there's a not-insignificant amount who think their freedom is being impinged upon. This crisis is really showing the best and worst of people, that's for certain.

Their freedom *is* being impinged on. Whether that impingement is a small price or too high a price to pay for the greater good is a debate the public should have every time any restriction of freedom is suggested.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Foxtrot
Platform: Mac

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:25 am Post

Still around and just as anti-social as ever. The procrastination is getting ever more difficult with so much time available. Still, I am confident I can avoid actually being productive for some time yet.

In England today it becomes a legal requirement to wear face masks in shops so happy Shoplifters Empowerment Day to one an all.

garpu

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:57 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
garpu wrote:Their freedom *is* being impinged on. Whether that impingement is a small price or too high a price to pay for the greater good is a debate the public should have every time any restriction of freedom is suggested.

I get your point, and I do agree. But in this case, I think the greater good (some reduction in transmission) outweighs the inconvenience. Plus, even if there weren't some research saying they help, if it reduces the fear in another person, I'm all for it. It's a small thing I can do to make someone else's day less crappy.

Tw
Twolane
Platform: Windows

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:08 pm Post

No shirt. No shoes. No mask. No service.

garpu

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:17 pm Post

Twolane wrote:No shirt. No shoes. No mask. No service.

Doesn't say anything about pants. :D :D :D

Tw
Twolane
Platform: Windows

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:39 am Post

It was an old sixties anti-hippie thing. You know, those filthy hippies and no shoes or shirts didn't deserve to be on the premises. Storekeepers reserved the right to deny service. Seems about right in the newage/sewage time of the beer virus. Just add masks and stir.