D63544E2-C2FC-4C7B-B8A0-CD6B0676F217.jpeg (149.98 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Ha
HathWrites
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:48 pm Post

drmajorbob wrote:c) Sending your failing device to Literature & Latte would help, but you'd have to talk to them (through a support ticket) about where you'd send it and how. If they're not willing to accept your device, I think you'd have a valid complaint.

Let us know if you try that and it fails.

AmberV wrote:Yeah, I kind of half jokingly thought of adding, “unless someone is willing to send us their device for a couple of weeks”, but seriously, I don’t think that’s a good idea, we’d have to draw up papers and stuff. :lol:

"Do something the L&L people specifically told us NOT to do and that it was a bad idea. THEN you'd have a valid complaint !"

Seriously ? :|
drmajorbob wrote:a) The snake-oil-workaround with iCloud Drive and the iOS Files app WORKS and isn't all that difficult. Why wouldn't you want to know about it?

I think that the point the person was trying to make here was the same as Thomas Rabenstein and I tried to make earlier: it's not about not having any other solution, because there are and Thomas Rabenstein has been one of the first to look for and find them, it's about having a product that we paid for that works. AKA, basic consumer rights. Especially with professional tools like Scrivener. We are using your workarounds, because we have to because writing is either our passion or or job, but we didn't pay for having to go through all that process, you see?
drmajorbob wrote:b) The issue was reported long ago and many times. Reporting it again does nothing to help anyone.

Considering that the debate here was drifting into a stale battle over numbers, yes, reporting it again helps, no matter what you chose to believe.

Can we all agree that there is only one team here, people who want their tools (fantastic ones, to be fair) to work without having to find alternative solutions, no matter whether they have the sync issue or not, and stop arguing as if there was sides? Because now, THAT does nothing to help anyone. Thank you everyone.

dr
drmajorbob
Platform: Mac

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:08 pm Post

HathWrites wrote:... it's not about not having any other solution, because there are ... it's about having a product that we paid for that works. AKA, basic consumer rights. Especially with professional tools like Scrivener.

Can we all agree that there is only one team here, people who want their tools (fantastic ones, to be fair) to work without having to find alternative solutions ...

a) Yes, you paid for a workflow that WORKS ... but you didn't buy it from Literature & Latte alone.

b) Most of your money (by far) went to Dropbox and Apple, not Literature & Latte.

c) So no, there isn't only one team involved.

d) The bug is in Dropbox or Apple code and Apple code/hardware. Scrivener is a victim, same as you.

e) If they had a reproducible test case in hand, Literature & Latte might find a workaround, but it's a problem introduced by iOS 13 & iPadOS.

Ha
HathWrites
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:45 am Post

drmajorbob wrote:c) So no, there isn't only one team involved.

The fact that you didn't understand anything to what I said would be funny if it wasn't sad. I never talked about dev teams, but about us, users, here, on this thread. Really, you keep misunderstanding what people say to you, I have no idea what else I can add so I'll leave it at that.

dr
drmajorbob
Platform: Mac

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:21 pm Post

HathWrites wrote:
drmajorbob wrote:c) So no, there isn't only one team involved.

The fact that you didn't understand anything to what I said would be funny if it wasn't sad. I never talked about dev teams, but about us, users, here, on this thread. Really, you keep misunderstanding what people say to you, I have no idea what else I can add so I'll leave it at that.

Are all the users on the same page here, really? Haven't most people moved on to viable workarounds?

Isn't far more relevant that Apple, Dropbox, and Literature & Latte are three development teams with zero connection? You bought a workflow that depends on all three, and Apple introduced a bug. If there's a workaround, Dropbox is better equipped to find it than Literature & Latte (and it's more nearly their responsibility).

Literature & Latte did NOT tell us not to send a device. One of them said it may be a bad idea, because you have to draw up papers and stuff. Another (or the same in another post?) said users may find it difficult to do without their device for an unknown period of time, trust their content to Literature & Latte, etc. Still, if you're willing to do it and they're not, you have a valid complaint for lack of support, IMO. Open a support ticket and make the offer.

Reporting the crash again serves no purpose when, as in your case, you've already reported it. One more user, with specifics, may be useful (though I doubt it) ... but a few users complaining over and over does nothing.

The only thing that can help is a test case in Literature & Latte custody.

When they have that, they can zero in on a bug report for Dropbox and/or Apple.

Sc
Scotter
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:24 pm Post

What she says above, over many many months. My 11 Pro, fresh out of the box, sync was D O A.
But hey, it’s your thousand bucks, roll the dice! Just don’t trade in your old phone like some of us did, or you’re screwed.

jw
jwilker

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:53 pm Post

Kinda shocking this is still an unsolved issue :(

A few months ago I removed all projects from dropbox, re-added one at a time and sync'ed then opened in scrivener iOS, which worked for a few months I guess because today I open Scrivener to sync before heading out, crash. Same as before.

Am
Amcmo

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:01 am Post

My IP 11 Pro worked fine out of the box with all projects synching.

I did sell my X and wasn't ‘screwed’.

As AmberV stated it is a VERY small percentage impacted.

Sc
Scotter

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:38 am Post

I’m happy for you.

Sc
Scotter

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:46 am Post

Well, don’t bother mentioning it on here. Any minute now you’ll get “worked fine for me” and “your issue is part of a minuscule percentage” with a how DARE you be upset about this attitude in the response.

Am
Amcmo

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:16 am Post

And I’m pleased you are.

The point is you blanket warning not to get an 11 or if you do keep your old phone has little (or no) validity.

Am
Amcmo

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:29 am Post

Scotter wrote:Well, don’t bother mentioning it on here. Any minute now you’ll get “worked fine for me” and “your issue is part of a minuscule percentage” with a how DARE you be upset about this attitude in the response.

No point in being snarky. L&L have pointed out repeatedly, as have other posters that this is NOT an L&L failure. Get snarky with Apple/Dropbox if that somehow makes you feel better.

Endlessly demanding a fix from L&L and getting shitty with anyone who reminds you of the facts for a problem that is not L&L’s creation achieves nothing other than reflecting on your inability to accept reality.

L&L are attempting to find an example of the failure to work with Apple & Dropbox. Unless they find one on their systems or a customer provides one any attempted fix is a total shot in the dark that may well cause even greater problems.

Sc
Scotter

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:29 am Post

Oh spare me. I said it was a dice roll, didn’t I? It’s a known issue that many have been checking back in with every single month with no progress whatsoever. If he’s depending on it working out of the box, he’d better have a backup phone just in case.

Your dismissive snideness is unappreciated.

And to the original poster, welcome to this forum.

Sc
Scotter

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:31 am Post

Gotcha.
How’s this. 5 months later, no fix.
See ya next month.

Ki
KillerWhale

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:26 am Post

drmajorbob wrote:Haven't most people moved on to viable workarounds?

Well, this user is only one (Blessed Be The Holy Stats) but I, for one, have entirely given up on iOS Scrivener and will give up on Scrivener entirely by the end of my project. Instead of spending my valuable time to work around the bug and risk my too important work in progress, I used it to learn to replicate Scrivener features that I like in Ulysses and I have even made interesting discoveries that might speed up my workflow.