The price of tea in China

wo
wordjoy
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:26 am
Platform: Windows

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:02 am Post

Astaff wrote:
wordjoy wrote:I run MAC OS on a Windows VM and touch works pretty well in many cases there just acting like the touchpad mapped over the screen..
With them also doing iOS and I hear Andriod version, touch will need to be native too all but Mac soon.


MacOS on Win VM... on Apple hardware? Otherwise breach of licence..... :lol:

iOS and Android are very different from Win and the apps for those platforms are/will be very different from those for full OS such as Win and MacOS.

At this stage the Win team aren’t acting on Wish List suggestions just focussing on getting the bugs out.


I would be more than happy to pay Apple for thier OS, but have ZERO interest in buying their obsolete Mac hardware. I also have no problem with LL moving this to the suggestions section as am well aware of where they are on the process to get Windows 3.x out.

As
Astaff
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 am Post

wordjoy wrote:
I would be more than happy to pay Apple for thier OS, but have ZERO interest in buying their obsolete Mac hardware. I also have no problem with LL moving this to the suggestions section as am well aware of where they are on the process to get Windows 3.x out.


Hmm.15” i9, 32Gb, vega20, fastest SSD in a notebook runs rings around all but the most expensive, bulky, ugly, heavy Win gaming laptops and a lower TCO to boot. Sorry but nothing obsolete about that. Found anyone else who offers an 18 core, all-in one with built in 5K monitor? Obsolete, my arse to paraphrase someone... The old Obsolete or Expensive Apple bleats have been disproven many times over. I say this as a mixed Apple/Win user with top spec gear on both platforms.

As for licence, It’s not a matter of whether you want to pay Apple for their OS or not, licence is very specific - Apple hardware only. On anything else it’s ...........

wo
wordjoy
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:26 am
Platform: Windows

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:31 am Post

Astaff wrote:
wordjoy wrote:
I would be more than happy to pay Apple for thier OS, but have ZERO interest in buying their obsolete Mac hardware. I also have no problem with LL moving this to the suggestions section as am well aware of where they are on the process to get Windows 3.x out.


Hmm.15” i9, 32Gb, vega20, fastest SSD in a notebook runs rings around all but the most expensive, bulky, ugly, heavy Win gaming laptops and a lower TCO to boot. Sorry but nothing obsolete about that. Found anyone else who offers an 18 core, all-in one with built in 5K monitor? Obsolete, my arse to paraphrase someone... The old Obsolete or Expensive Apple bleats have been disproven many times over. I say this as a mixed Apple/Win user with top spec gear on both platforms.

As for licence, It’s not a matter of whether you want to pay Apple for their OS or not, licence is very specific - Apple hardware only. On anything else it’s ...........


Hows the Face Biometric unlock, touch screen and tilt sensitive stylus support on that?
Bigger stats don't make for current technology, just batter burn, its about fitness and adaptability.
I prefer light, solid keyboard and adaptability.
Oh and the CLOSED system approach just adds to it. I started with Apple in the beginning. They left me.
I have paid Mac software that I use sometimes, like scrivner.. Like I said its a fine OS, but lagging HP, DELL, and Even Acer in the capability of the machines. Pretty much ignored for iOS platform.

As
Astaff
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:23 am Post

wordjoy wrote:Hows the Face Biometric unlock, touch screen and tilt sensitive stylus support on that?
Bigger stats don't make for current technology, just batter burn, its about fitness and adaptability.
I prefer light, solid keyboard and adaptability.
Oh and the CLOSED system approach just adds to it. I started with Apple in the beginning. They left me.
I have paid Mac software that I use sometimes, like scrivner.. Like I said its a fine OS, but lagging HP, DELL, and Even Acer in the capability of the machines. Pretty much ignored for iOS platform.


Touch ID is instant and secure as opposed to 2d face used on other PC’s that can be defeated by a picture, a secure, fast file system, don’t need touch, or stylus, so 100% fitness and adaptability. Outrun all the brands you mention in capability and lower total cost of ownership/higher quality - just ask IBM. Mac OS is no more closed system than Win, other than You aren’t supposed to run it on dodgy 3rd party equipment. With Mac/iPad Apple are largest. Computer manufacturer (i know idg and the other MS paid mobs count Win tablets in PC sales estimates that are always wrong but not iPad to make the stats come out the way they want). Mac OS must be pretty good if you’re happy to pirate it.

Ji
JimRac
Posts: 1521
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:24 am Post

Would you guys take your off topic discussion to PM please. Thank you.
I’m just a customer.

As
Astaff
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:45 am Post

JimRac wrote:Would you guys take your off topic discussion to PM please. Thank you.


A valid discussion and rebuttal of Expensive etc Apple fake claims. You’re not forced to read.

User avatar
The Great Edhead
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux
Location: Utah

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:06 am Post

Astaff wrote:
JimRac wrote:Would you guys take your off topic discussion to PM please. Thank you.


A valid discussion and rebuttal of Expensive etc Apple fake claims. You’re not forced to read.


Nevertheless, you have derailed the topic. I came in hoping to read about potential progress on touchscreen support only to find two people arguing about whether Mac or Windows is better. In most internet forums it is considered impolite if not outright rude to go off topic. Can we please get back on subject?

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:17 am Post

Astaff wrote:A valid discussion


in some other forum, *not* in the Beta Testing (Windows) forum.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

As
Astaff
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:21 am Post

Oh for FS.

Out of here.

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24110
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:52 pm Post

Moderator Note: off-topic platform flame war split from original thread.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4259
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:00 am Post

And there I was hoping for a discussion about tea in China … having spent 13 years in South Fujian, where Tieguanyin comes from!

:roll:

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24110
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:55 pm Post

All glory to oolong!

I never did quite have the budget for that one, though. :mrgreen:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
garpu
Posts: 2040
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm
Platform: Linux

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:54 am Post

xiamenese wrote:And there I was hoping for a discussion about tea in China … having spent 13 years in South Fujian, where Tieguanyin comes from!

:roll:

Mark


A friend of mine from Seattle opened up a tea shop. It would be nice to try really good tea sometime--I'm told much of what is sold in the US as tea is crap.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:37 am Post

garpu wrote:A friend of mine from Seattle opened up a tea shop. It would be nice to try really good tea sometime--I'm told much of what is sold in the US as tea is crap.


Drop me a PM with the name -- my wife is a huge tea fancier and we will go check it out.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4259
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:53 am Post

garpu wrote:
xiamenese wrote:And there I was hoping for a discussion about tea in China … having spent 13 years in South Fujian, where Tieguanyin comes from!

:roll:

Mark


A friend of mine from Seattle opened up a tea shop. It would be nice to try really good tea sometime--I'm told much of what is sold in the US as tea is crap.

A couple of years ago, I met someone and in the course of conversation it turned out not only that he loved tea including Tieguanyin, but that his wife worked for a specialist tea importer. So I gave him a portion pack—these days, good quality Chinese teas are often packed in individual, sealed, 20gm foil packs to help keep them fresh—of the Tieguanyin we were drinking at the time.

The next time I saw him, a few weeks later, he said, "What was that tea you gave me? It was delicious, but our cups were full of whole tea leaves!" I said, "Tieguanyin; it is a whole-leaf tea".

In this country, "whole-leaf tea" is taken to mean "not in tea bags"! I can only presume that the tea his wife's company imports is the broken bits, traditionally "floor-sweepings".

When I was there, if I ever bought any—I was given so much by Chinese friends that I never had to buy any for myself—to bring home as presents, I usually spent the equivalent of £40 or so for a pound. I did on one occasion, buy a single 20 gm portion-pack of my local tea-shop's best Tieguanyin of that year … it cost me £20! The friend back here I shared it with was utterly convinced it was a flower tea, like jasmine tea. I had to point out that tea is camellia sinensis before she could accept that a tea leaf could be so fragrant.

So, if you want good Chinese teas, you’re going to have to pay for it!

:)
Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …