The future

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:05 pm Post

"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:49 pm Post

The next version of Scrivener is going to randomly throw up dialogue boxes saying, "Well, this is crap, isn't it?" and "Seriously, why bother?" Just in case users don't have that inner voice, Scrivener will provide it.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:55 pm Post

KB wrote:The next version of Scrivener is going to randomly throw up dialogue boxes saying, "Well, this is crap, isn't it?" and "Seriously, why bother?" Just in case users don't have that inner voice, Scrivener will provide it.

Because the outer voices just aren't persistent enough?

Last thing I need is my innervoice AND scrivener reinforcing what everyone else says...

;)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 pm Post

The v14 Beta just threw this message: "Don't quit your day job, loser." and then blue screened. So it seems the Windows guys are already on it.
I’m just a customer.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:04 pm Post

I’d prefer something like "Wow, you’re a real genius", and then you have to decide if it is being ironic or not. :D
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

St
StarDog2
Platform: Windows

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:00 am Post

KB wrote:The next version of Scrivener is going to randomly throw up dialogue boxes saying, "Well, this is crap, isn't it?" and "Seriously, why bother?" Just in case users don't have that inner voice, Scrivener will provide it.

This should be a subscription service $10/month to start, and $20/month to make it stop!

gr

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:32 am Post

Well, this is crap, isn't it? Seriously, why bother? This is genius!

Turns out this system also works on the forum.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

garpu
Platform: Linux

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm Post

I think that's already an error message in csound.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:24 pm Post

you could just go through Hitchhiker's Guide and mine Marvin's dialog? I'm sure my scrivener feels that way. Every time I click the icon.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

da
dafu

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:03 am Post

I hesitate to tell this story but since it happened almost thirty years ago why not? I was working at a publishing consultancy that designed and installed systems as well as providing classes introducing Illustrator, QuarkXpress, etc. We had one instructor who was good but who also harbored an exaggerated view of his design skills. It was very irritating . . . to everyone. So, one day in a fit of whatever I got to work early, opened ResEdit, and modified his QuarkXpress print dialog:

Code: Select all

This design aesthetically unacceptable
Please Retry or Cancel

We were all in an open space with standard walled-off carrels so you could hear everything. That afternoon, after classes, we were all treated to a squawk and bellowed oaths of simply delightful volume (plural, you see, because each time he tried again he got the same dialog).

It was just lovely.

Dave

Fluff

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:16 pm Post

dafu wrote:It was just lovely.
Dave

Pangur is flat on his back, slapping the floor with his front paws, and hissing, "That's *&>@<%!g hilarious!!"
But I think it's very cruel, Master David ... very cruel :cry:
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

ha
hanghuhn

Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:08 pm Post

I have another suggestion, because I'm procrastinating write (edit: omg I meant right :oops: :lol: ) now while Scrivener is open: "Start writing!" or something like that and not only in a dialogue box but also with an annoying voice. Maybe followed by "Hey, stop checking your social media profiles and start writing now."

I really need a push or something. Arschtritt, as we Germans say.

gr

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 pm Post

Yes, these annoying comments/reminders need to follow us wherever we go. So, when that Mother of All Scriveners version comes out, the Forum will need to be reconfigured so your posts will not pass without commentary:

Well, this forum may not need your help, but your "novel" sure does. --courtesy of The Forum

gr

pk
pkursawe

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:46 pm Post

Without joke: Scientific studies show, that only about 4% of the population is learning or performing better, when you put them down.
So there should be a new preference in the Appearance section of Scrivener Preferences called Random Motivational Messages with options like:
- Put me down
- Encourage me ("You are doing good")
- Encourage me the Christian way ("God is watching and helping you right now")
- Encourage me the New Agey Way ("The energy flow right now is supporting you")
- Encourage me the Coffee Way ("It is time for a coffee break")
:-)

gr

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:29 pm Post

pkursawe wrote:4% of the population is learning or performing better, when you put them down.

They do better dead than alive?! :lol: :lol: