Why travel?

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:45 pm Post

Confucius he say, "Nowt t' do wi' me, pal."
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ptram
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:47 pm Post

I've never liked to travel. Each time I leave my home, I feel like it is the last time I've been there. There was a time one of my cats came to me while I was leaving, and he asked me one last hug. I never saw him again.

Traveling makes me feel ill. I'm enthusiast when I can find some local cooking, but most often I arrive late to a town, and the only thing open is a place frying hamburgers. There is never a place to go to a toilet. The hotel room or the apartment is usually dirty and noisy. And a couple times I've been robbed while traveling.

When I can survive a trip, I like to stay as long as possible. So, I don't like to be a tourist, one of those who only learn how to say goodbye in thousand dialects. I have always to find a way to live a place for at least a few weeks. I want to go to the farmer's market, meet the bartenders, go to a local theatre, know the walk on the riverside or the seaside. But since most places are the same, with the same TV shows and the same clothes in the shop windows, I tend to be annoyed very soon, and can't wait to leave.

I do love airports and train stations, though. The best ones have clean bathrooms and do offer you a free coffee. I like to listen to the announcements in the local language. I like to see people from all around the world coming and going in from my seat in the waiting room. Why travel, when you can have the world do the effort for you?

Paolo

Jaysen

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:31 pm Post

I'm getting old... Not Mr X old, but more an early Vic-K old. Mrs and I are making plans. Plans to "see things". Plans that say "seeing things means living there for a bit". So I'm learning to sail. That way we can take our house with us.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

xiamenese

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:35 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:I'm getting old... Not Mr X old, but more an early Vic-K old. Mrs and I are making plans. Plans to "see things". Plans that say "seeing things means living there for a bit". So I'm learning to sail. That way we can take our house with us.

We took our house with us when we returned from Bangkok to the UK in 1974 … we had a 12-seater LandRover which we turned into a motor-home ourselves.

Bangkok —> Penang
Penang — Chennai (then still Madras) by ship
India —> Pakistan —> Aghanistan —> Iran —> Turkey —> Bulgaria —> Yugoslavia (still unified) —> Austria —> Germany —> Belgium
Ostend —> Dover by ferry.

You couldn't do it now! People here would ask me, "Weren't you afraid of breaking down in India?" My answer, "No. I was afraid of breaking down in Germany!"

:D

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.1, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Jaysen

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:46 pm Post

Ours is a bit more circuitous. North up US coast. Newfoundland -> Greenland -> Iceland -> Scotland -> London (winter over). We are still arguing over what's after... I'd go right to Barcelona and spend a year there. She's more about France and Italy. From there it's back to the US via Canaries and Caribbean. Then we have to see if we still have the wanderlust.

Of course I think she's humoring more than anything right now...
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

St
Starship67

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:53 am Post

I like making new friends and traveling allows me to do so. It is the best chance to share the experience with someone new and learn about other people, exchange points of views and opinions. I`m planning a trip to Greece and I`m looking for airport transfer recommendations, like Thessaloniki Taxi Transfer. Any suggestions?

garpu
Platform: Linux

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:33 am Post

I like the idea of traveling, but I don't deal with change very well. For instance, I really loved Barcelona, but I came down with walking pneumonia due to the stress of traveling, new place, finding my way around those twisty streets without getting turned into a road pizza by an entire country of people who view traffic laws as vague suggestions, and so on.

I think I'd really like taking a cruise on a cargo ship. They leave you alone to pretty much do whatever the hell you want, so long as you don't get in their way.

But seriously, what is up with European traffic patterns? It's a wonder any of y'all live to adulthood. :D
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Silverdragon

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:22 am Post

Hmm.… can't say I experienced any pedestrian angst abroad that could compete with the occasional abject terror I deal with here in the City of Angels.

OTOH, I have yet to visit Barcelona. :D
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her silicon hoard
  • Mac Scrivener 3.2.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
  • iOS Scrivener 1.2.1, iPad 6, iPhone 12 pro, i(Pad)OS 14.4

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:38 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:Hmm.… can't say I experienced any pedestrian angst abroad that could compete with the occasional abject terror I deal with here in the City of Angels.

OTOH, I have yet to visit Barcelona. :D
Have you ever been to NYC?At least in LA I feel that many folks respect crosswalks, providing the illusion of a barrier while crossing the street. The drivers in NYC make me remember that it's just paint on the road, and I'm in their way. (I grew up in NYC before moving to CA.)
I’m just a customer.

Silverdragon

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:48 am Post

NYC? Only one day. Boston, now… I had 4 years of school in Cambridge. Talk about a metro area where traffic laws are considered mild suggestions... :shock:

The problem here is not that drivers disobey laws so much as they just don't notice pedestrians. I've been struck once and had many near misses… in crosswalks.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:12 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:I've been struck once…
Wow, SD, that’s horrible. I am very sorry to hear it, and hope that you had a full recovery from any injuries.

Jim
I’m just a customer.

Silverdragon

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:38 am Post

No injuries, thank heaven. But I'm getting a flashing light before I walk after dark again.