Scrivener - on USB!

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 23796
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:58 pm Post

alexwein wrote:Wow! How could we not know about all that cool Scr. merch??? Love the mug. Do I see sun in that picture? We are getting what is for Portland a rather sizable winter storm. Would be a dusting of snow in the midwest, but a lot for these parts and we are due more, maybe even an ice storm. Could use that Scr. mug full of hot tea right about now.


I just escaped that storm for Christmas! Took me all of six hours to get across the city due to faltering public transportation, only to find the airport had turned into a massive bohemian campground with thousands of people living on the floors. Oi.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
alexwein
Posts: 1063
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:30 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Ashland, Oregon, USA
Contact:

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:11 pm Post

AmberV wrote:I just escaped that storm for Christmas! Took me all of six hours to get across the city due to faltering public transportation, only to find the airport had turned into a massive bohemian campground with thousands of people living on the floors. Oi.


Oy indeed! So you got out? Lucky you!! We had about another 5 inches of snow last night plus freezing rain--just enough to make things pretty slick. According to the piled up snow on top of our cars and storage bins, we received over a foot of snow over the past few days. For around here, that is huge. Growing up in Cleveland, Ohio, that wouldn't have even been enough to close the schools! But there is no plowing the side streets here in Portland nor salting the streets nor other aids to driving. Lucky for me I still have all my winter clothes from living back east and can walk most places I need to! Looks like it will be a while before a lot of this melts.

And my husband tells me it is again snowing! Hope you are somewhere warm and sunny!
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

User avatar
Jaysen
Posts: 6169
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:00 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: East-Be-Jesus-Nowhere SC, USA

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:24 pm Post

We only had about 18" where I am. Looks like we might get a little more (<24") today. Keep in mind that these numbers are not unusual for us. We just don't get storms like this until February.

I will admit that I found myself sitting in a ditch when my little crap car was actually blown off the road by the wind today. Proof of the crappiness of my car (a Chevy Aveo) is the fact that it never sank into the snow. The car is so light that it "floated" instead of sinking. My neighbor who came to pull me out was astounded by this. We actually SANK when we stood in spot where the car was stuck.

By comparison, the car just down (Prius) the ditch was all the way into the mud. Apparently those things are worse in the snow than anyone anticipated. I must have seen 10 of them stuck today.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Image

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20718
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:04 pm Post

I once heard that on any given internet forum, if a thread went on long enough and had enough participants, there was 100% chance that someone would liken somebody else to Hitler. Not on this forum. On this forum, given enough posts, there is 100% chance that everyone will forget whatever it was they started talking about and have a nice chat instead. :) I'm not complaining. Happy holidays!

User avatar
vic-k
Posts: 7135
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:23 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:14 pm Post

HItler who? :?
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

PJ
PJS
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:05 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Upstate New York

Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:25 pm Post

vic-k wrote:HItler who?


A three-year-old kid in New Jersey who couldn't get a birthday cake.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28269290/

... but to return to the topic:

Through the summer, one of my neighbors prattled endlessly about his new SmartCar. Inexpensive, terrific crash test reading, and 55-60 mpg. I notice, however, that he hasn't dared take it out of the garage for the past three weeks. An icy Interstate with 50-mph cross winds = SmartCar aloft.

My beat-up old Volvo has all the nimbleness, grace, and blinged-up amenities of a Sherman tank. It is, however, as solid on the road as a Sherman tank. (Forgive the antediluvian military reference; I've lost touch with contemporary battle-wagons.)

... and who's this KB fellow who tries to keep the conversation on one track only?

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

User avatar
Jaysen
Posts: 6169
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:00 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: East-Be-Jesus-Nowhere SC, USA

Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:31 pm Post

But we are all thinking of your USB delivery method in the background!

I did have a thought on this, but it is probably as useful as any thought I have had lately (which is a slow way os saying useless). Can you give us the same USB in a 2GB version? USB are very useful in that size. You can use Dave's avitar for the empties. THAT would be cool.

Anyway, I am trying to get someone, anyone, that lives in my house to buy me some scriv stuff. I don't think they are getting the hint.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Image

Ve
Vermonter17032
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:24 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:22 pm Post

As for delivering Scrivener on a USB drive: For promotional purposes, great idea. For general commercial distribution, I have to say I think it isn't a good idea for these two reasons:

1. People may mistakenly believe that they can run Scrivener from the USB drive and will therefore be disappointed in Srivener when the learn it doesn't work. Why disappoint customers, especially new ones?

2. It has got to be more costly to distribute on a USB drive than on a CD... right? Why cut into your profit margin?

If it means anything, I've been a sales and marketing professional for 28 years. That doesn't guarantee that I'm right (just ask my boss), but at least I have a little experience to weigh in favor of my contrary opinion! :roll:

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20718
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:43 pm Post

1. People may mistakenly believe that they can run Scrivener from the USB drive and will therefore be disappointed in Srivener when the learn it doesn't work. Why disappoint customers, especially new ones?


Well, there's nothing to stop anyone running Scrivener from the USB drive - it's just that it's not optimal to run projects from a USB drive. I think this can mostly be got around by making it clear both at point of sale and in the leaflet that comes with the USB stick that Scrivener is not intended to be run from the USB stick. As I say, on the stick will be the regular DMG, which when double-clicked prompts you to drag Scrivener to your Applications folder.

2. It has got to be more costly to distribute on a USB drive than on a CD... right? Why cut into your profit margin?


Actually, the whole point is that it's cheaper - not the USBs themselves, but because we won't need to produce so much packaging. They can be put into a padded envelope with a leaflet with the registration information on them - that's much cheaper than having a proper packaged product (which will hopefully come later). If we went the CD route, then we'd have to have proper CD box packaging and so forth, as that is what a customer would expect. By having the USB "pill", we can offer it as a gimmicky option for those who really want a postal delivery, or to give Scrivener as a present. The idea is that this is a stop-gap until we are at a point where we are able to offer a proper packaged (CD-based) product, as we do get a lot of questions about this.

Best,
Keith

br
brett
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:17 am
Location: yet another Portlander

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:05 pm Post

Scrivener on a stick! Larry "Bud" Mellman would approve. (Apologies to non-Americans and non David Letterman fans who miss this reference.) Besides, CDs are SO, like, 20th century. MacBook Air users who didn't buy a separate CD drive would certainly appreciate getting SCrivener on a USB drive, which I think is the preferred non-wireless method for that lovely machine.

Oh, and since we're straying dangerously near on topic here again, let me just note that spending a couple of weeks traveling / escaping the snowstorm with my wife and her MBA (a thoughtful birthday gift from her noble husband) has persuaded me that Apple was right all along in stripping it down so much. In her actual (and my wishful) use, the alleged storage and connectivity deficiencies really aren't; I can spell out the workarounds if anyone's interested in pulling us yet farther off topic. And for the 95% of the time that she's not using an accessory like a small portable hard drive, USB stick, or external CD drive, it is an absolute dream to use. The screen makes my MacBook's look like [insert name of celeb supermodel of the month] next to [insert name of superannuated Rolling Stones guitarist].

User avatar
Jaysen
Posts: 6169
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:00 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: East-Be-Jesus-Nowhere SC, USA

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:09 pm Post

KB wrote:The idea is that this is a stop-gap until we are at a point where we are able to offer a proper packaged (CD-based) product, as we do get a lot of questions about this.

<rant>
I am trying to recall the last non-os software purchase that I made that was on ANY media. Let me look here at work... Nothing. Let's see, about $1M in software and not a single CD or DVD.

My point is WHO determines what "normal" is in software delivery? The vendor. Period. If you want USB to be your method then so be it.
</rant>
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Image

User avatar
alexwein
Posts: 1063
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:30 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Ashland, Oregon, USA
Contact:

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:44 pm Post

KB wrote:I once heard that on any given internet forum, if a thread went on long enough and had enough participants, there was 100% chance that someone would liken somebody else to Hitler. Not on this forum. On this forum, given enough posts, there is 100% chance that everyone will forget whatever it was they started talking about and have a nice chat instead. :) I'm not complaining. Happy holidays!


I know, and I'm one of the most guilty on that score. I've started to at least TRY to notice how often I get off topic or help lead folks off topic. Don't think I've mentioned Hitler yet, though.... :D
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

User avatar
valente.mac
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:50 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Algarve, Portugal

Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:47 pm Post

Going back off topic ...

People in US (or at least Oregon) stay home, quietly nesting, and no cold comes to them. As for us, people inhabiting south of Portugal (warm and sunny most of the time), since we have houses that are crap on maintaining heat inside (great to keep heat outside, though), get a nasty cold every time the temperature drops a couple of degrees.

(Says, Maria aka MJ, with another blow on the kleenex. <snifle>) :|

Well, at least I have a nice 10 year old Port wine to keep me company. :)

PS. Obama is in Hawaii. I bet it's warm and nice there. :P

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4108
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:45 am Post

brett wrote:MacBook Air users who didn't buy a separate CD drive would certainly appreciate getting SCrivener on a USB drive, which I think is the preferred non-wireless method for that lovely machine.


I did buy the CD drive for my MBA, and don't regret it since I know I will use it from time to time; but in 6 months, I think I've used it twice and that's been for burning CDs, not for reading anything off them. I'm using USB drives all the time, whether USB stick or portable hard-disk, so getting software -- when non-dowloaded -- on a USB stick would be brilliant. And when you've got it, the user could put the registration details on it in some sort of encrypted text format so that they didn't have to hunt for the paper or search elsewhere to find the registration number. I'd encrypt it so that if I lost the USB or it was pinched, no miscreant could steal my licence without a lot of work!

brett wrote:Oh, and since we're straying dangerously near on topic here again, let me just note that spending a couple of weeks traveling / escaping the snowstorm with my wife and her MBA (a thoughtful birthday gift from her noble husband) has persuaded me that Apple was right all along in stripping it down so much. In her actual (and my wishful) use, the alleged storage and connectivity deficiencies really aren't; I can spell out the workarounds if anyone's interested in pulling us yet farther off topic. And for the 95% of the time that she's not using an accessory like a small portable hard drive, USB stick, or external CD drive, it is an absolute dream to use. The screen makes my MacBook's look like [insert name of celeb supermodel of the month] next to [insert name of superannuated Rolling Stones guitarist].


Agreed. I wish I had the display quality of the MBA on my Rev 1 MBP with its 17" screen. But I have to say that I much prefer the keyboard on the MBP ... perhaps I should get myself one of the Apple aluminium bluetooth keyboards to use if and when I eventually I upgrade the MBP when they've brought out a new 17" one, 'cos the 15" seems to have the look, and therefore the ergonomics of the MBA one. That said, I love the MBA to bits.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.2, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Hu
Hugh
Posts: 2444
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:05 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: UK

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:07 am Post

alexwein wrote:
KB wrote:I once heard that on any given internet forum, if a thread went on long enough and had enough participants, there was 100% chance that someone would liken somebody else to Hitler. Not on this forum. On this forum, given enough posts, there is 100% chance that everyone will forget whatever it was they started talking about and have a nice chat instead. :) I'm not complaining. Happy holidays!


I know, and I'm one of the most guilty on that score. I've started to at least TRY to notice how often I get off topic or help lead folks off topic. Don't think I've mentioned Hitler yet, though.... :D


Reductio ad Hitlerium, or Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law). Certain other forums I frequent invoke Godwin on an almost daily basis, so, yes, it's very pleasant to avoid him (and Hitler) here.

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'