Scrivener - on USB!

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:29 pm Post

Hi,

I'll post this here seeing as it's not official and it's not an announcement as yet or anything, but next year we're hoping to start offering a physical shipment of Scrivener for those who want it (sometime after 1.5 is released - not for a while, since you asked :) ). Anyway, I thought that, rather than shipping as a CD, it might be cool to ship Scrivener on a USB memory stick. We've just had our first batch delivered, so that we can hand a couple out at the Macworld Expo and ready for next year, and I love them. See what you think.

In terms of promoting it on the website when the time comes, I was thinking of a Matrix reference, something like "Take the black and white pill"... Er, or something. Unfortunately, David is already referring to it as the "Scrivener suppository pill". I still love it, though...

Best,
Keith

valente.mac

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:49 pm Post

Well -- I love it! (I might have to buy one.)

Btw -- David is mean. ;)

-- MJ

Hu
Hugh

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:55 pm Post

Kewl!
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

p a t r i c k

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:02 pm Post

Those look excellent.

I've always like the Scrivener logo, it's very clever imho.

xiamenese

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:38 pm Post

I think it's fabulous, and would love to upgrade that way. Somehow I'll get one. What capacity are you going to be having them in?

But something to think about ... people will assume they can run Scrivener as a portable app on one.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

alexwein

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:43 pm Post

I want one. I don't need to get Scr. that way, but I want one. You must make them available for purchase without having to buy Scr. And tee shirts. And mugs (coffee cups). And...I don't know what else.

Seriously, though, I love it and really do want one if you decide to go in the direction of selling them!

And I think the Matrix reference is cool and you should use it. Just keep David away from the general public until you do!

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

valente.mac

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:59 pm Post

alexwein wrote:You must make them available for purchase without having to buy Scr. And tee shirts. And mugs (coffee cups). And...I don't know what else.

Yeah! Nice ideas.

Include sweatshirts, mouse pads, pens, Xmas tree ornaments (these would be so damn cool!).

On the t-shirts: Scrivener logo and name, plus a customized citation of our choice. You could be wearing your favorite app + your favorite author. Can't be much better. :mrgreen:

KB
Site Admin

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:42 pm Post

Mark - the portable app thing did cross my mind, but the capacity is small - just a bit more than enough for the Scrivener files (I can't remember if they are 64 or 128MB), so you couldn't store many projects on there, and certainly no big ones. Also, Scrivener will be on there as a DMG with a readme file, so it won't encourage the direct running of Scrivener from the drive. I just wanted something that would require less packaging than a CD (until we get into stores, of course :) ).

As for T-shirts and mugs... These have been available for a while, but I never got around to putting a link on the site so no one knows about them! When we rejig the site next year for 1.5, we're going to add the link, and create some new merchandise. Here's what's available for now:

http://www.cafepress.com/litnlat

Depending on how orders for the USB-delivered version of Scrivener go (and as I say, they won't be available for a few months yet), then we might order some USB sticks of the same design with a larger capacity and make them available as merchandise. We'll see...

All the best,
Keith

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm Post

Now may be the perfect time for you to check with Chrysler or General Motors. Each of them has an enormous back load of vehicles shaped not unlike the memory stick, and in colors very nearly the same. I've no doubt the logo could be applied at small additional expense; for volume sales, you'd probably get it as a no-charge option.

USB/SUV?

Why not?

(Aside from the obvious objections, that is.)

Phil
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

alexwein

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:25 pm Post

Wow! How could we not know about all that cool Scr. merch??? Love the mug. Do I see sun in that picture? We are getting what is for Portland a rather sizable winter storm. Would be a dusting of snow in the midwest, but a lot for these parts and we are due more, maybe even an ice storm. Could use that Scr. mug full of hot tea right about now.

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

KB
Site Admin

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:26 pm Post

The mugs are very cool - I have my coffee out of one every morning. :) That sun is from the summer, though. The picture was taken in my old house in London back around July.

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:28 pm Post

alexwein wrote: a rather sizable winter storm.

What else do you expect in Mordor!!

How about a tea shirt, with Rubens` 'The Three Graces', with Sciv`s logo tattooed on each arse. That`d add a bit of cultural cred, to the exercise.
Attachments
101mini.jpg
101mini.jpg (5.22 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

kl
klcorridon

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:30 am Post

vic-k wrote:
alexwein wrote: a rather sizable winter storm.

What else do you expect in Mordor!!

How about a tea shirt, with Rubens` 'The Three Graces', with Sciv`s logo tattooed on each arse. That`d add a bit of cultural cred, to the exercise.

Too green up here still for Mordor...

And thanks for pulling this thread down towards the gutter... :mrgreen:
I may be an Idiot, but I'm no Fool...
For Maura, 4/7/59-11/21/09... My Muse, my Heroine, my Editor, my Patron. All that I have achieved as a writer is because of her.

Jaysen

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:55 am Post

klcorridon wrote:And thanks for pulling this thread down towards the gutter... :mrgreen:

You weren't surprised were you?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

xiamenese

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:35 am Post

KB wrote:Mark - the portable app thing did cross my mind, but the capacity is small - just a bit more than enough for the Scrivener files (I can't remember if they are 64 or 128MB), so you couldn't store many projects on there, and certainly no big ones. Also, Scrivener will be on there as a DMG with a readme file, so it won't encourage the direct running of Scrivener from the drive. I just wanted something that would require less packaging than a CD (until we get into stores, of course :) ).

It made me think that many people who use a USB stick to work on their .scriv projects on different computers, rather than finding a way of synchronising them might find a truly portable version of the software that would run on one which also had space for a (number of) project(s) might really welcome that. But I have no idea how difficult it is to create a portable version, which obviously has to store its preferences and perhaps other system-related files on the stick.

KB wrote:As for T-shirts and mugs... These have been available for a while, but I never got around to putting a link on the site so no one knows about them! When we rejig the site next year for 1.5, we're going to add the link, and create some new merchandise. Here's what's available for now:

http://www.cafepress.com/litnlat

I knew about them, but I'm here in China and any money that I spend on my credit card comes from what my wife earns and needs to live on, so I have to hold off, buying nothing apart from essentials. I would love to be drinking my coffee out of a Scrivener mug … hey, it's Christmas, maybe I should tell my wife that I want a couple of them as my Christmas present! That's a good idea ... not that I'd see them until half-way through 2009!

Here in this part of China, everyone goes around with small, often smart, thermos flasks for carrying hot or cold water, or tea with them ... the university has them with the university logo on. I'd love to be carrying a "Scrivener" thermosette with me everywhere!

I'm not a T-shirt with image/text kind of person ... mind you each year I tell myself I must get one made to wear in November saying "I'm British ... Thanksgiving has nothing to do with me!" ... Sorry Portlanders and other sundry cousins from across the pond; it's one bit of American cultural imperialism here that gets my goat, the Chinese being encouraged to believe that Thanksgiving is an international Western festival!

KB wrote:Depending on how orders for the USB-delivered version of Scrivener go (and as I say, they won't be available for a few months yet), then we might order some USB sticks of the same design with a larger capacity and make them available as merchandise. We'll see...

Hmm ... I'm persuading my wife to go into Scrivener as she's involved in helping a friend write cook-books. She's too busy on other projects at the moment, and the next book is not under way yet, but I hope she'll be buying Scrivener in the new year, so I'll make sure she orders it on a USB stick. For me, if you do have bigger capacity ones as merchandise, that's what I would actually like.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …