Worrying noise from iBook

Wock

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:20 pm Post

Siren wrote:
Wock wrote:I actually found LOTR kinda boring.

Me, too. Loved The Hobbit, though :)

My new MacBook has just been shipped! So I might even get it before Christmas (otherwise bank holidays and weekends make it a very long wait indeed) :D

Ah the joy of a new Mac. Remember to take a few pictures of the box and opening it then post them so everyone can drool with envy. :-)
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:34 pm Post

Wock wrote:I actually found LOTR kinda boring.

Mr Wock
That`s not surprising, considering your warped taste. Probably not enough, gratuitous 'Honky-Tonkying', in it for you.

Mrs Siren,
May I remind you, that the role of the loving housewife and mother at this time of the year, is to cater to her loved ones every whim and fancy, and not the spending of hour after hour, ooing `n` aaahhhing, at her latest gizmotalogical acquisition. Have you ascertained whether or not your new toy, is suitable for use in 'Ballancing on Belly' mode.

In the event of belly button scorch, use one of these.
Merry Christmas Mrs Siren
Fluff
Attachments
25187-s.jpg
25187-s.jpg (7.65 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:27 pm Post

Wock wrote:Here it comes...

I actually found LOTR kinda boring.

Wock, Siren, you certainly aren't the first to find fault with LOTR or find it lacking. I can't fathom people like you, but I know they exist. :D Different strokes and all. For me, I love the entire thing and I have savored the entire series and every single word on the page. Including the Hobbit in that. By the end of The Return of the King I'm in tears, both because of the story but also because it's over!

I also continue to savor every moment with my new Macbook, so, Siren, you are right to feel such anticipation. Going from a G4 computer to an Intel chip, well, I have to admit it's been awesome. I know there are faster Macs, but as long as I don't use them, I won't know the difference! Enjoy!!! And congrats!

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

Wock

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:56 pm Post

alexwein wrote:
Wock wrote:Here it comes...

I actually found LOTR kinda boring.

Wock, Siren, you certainly aren't the first to find fault with LOTR or find it lacking.

It is not really that I found fault or lacking really. I think it was well written but to me it was just a boring story.

Lets summarize.

Take the ring. Go to the Volcano. Throw it in.

If the LOTR was not one of the first in its class and was written today I think many people would find it rather boring or lacking compared to current Sci Fi stories.

But I am not knocking the creativity nor the writing skill. Both were top notch. I just found his story rather bland and he never really went into the depth of the characters or the story to me.

Myself I liked Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series. Much more in depth.

PS: I always looked at a hobbit as a dirty little midget with bad hygene. :-)

They were not cute but rather midget hippies high on magic and low on foot wear. :-)

kewms

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:58 pm Post

Interesting. My reaction to Wizard's First Rule was "We've been here before. Isn't he just working through the High Fantasy Cliche Checklist? For 800 pages?"

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

alexwein

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:44 pm Post

Interesting that you found character development lacking in LOTR. My experience was completely different. I felt like I not only knew the characters but could get inside their skin. I say this as a Sci-fi reader for over 40 years (I started reading sci fi at around aged 8)! Including modern sci-fi. So I have to disagree. I think reading books like LOTR requires a different way of reading--it's something you have to really sit with. In LOTR, at least in my experience, there is way more 'character development' than in most other books I read. But those 'boring' parts are where it happens and it comes to you through songs, stories, and lots of detail, which is what I loved about it. I could sink completely into it and sip it, like really good wine. (Oh wait a minute, I don't drink wine. Give me migraines. Like good...Jasmine tea. Doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?) The story couldn't possibly have been better developed, nor the characters, but you have to read all the parts that most people would skip over!

Hey, I'm not trying to convince you. Just to disagree with you! :D You like what you like, I like what I like. No need to diss each others choices, right?

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:19 pm Post

:shock:
alexwein wrote:o need to diss each others choices, right?
WHY NOT!!!!

WELL WILL Y` JUST LOOK AT THAT-------->
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Wock

Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:30 pm Post

alexwein wrote:Hey, I'm not trying to convince you. Just to disagree with you! :D You like what you like, I like what I like. No need to diss each others choices, right?

Alexandria

Oh I am not dissing anyone's choice. I was just mentioning my own personal preference. I wasn't saying the books were bad. I guess I just expected more especially based on all the hype. Also I read them as an adult after the genre was better established so it wasn't very ground breaking for me. But I am not knocking anyone for liking them (LOTR). Just didn't float my boat.
:-)

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:44 pm Post

Thought I'd give a quick update on what happened with my old iBook. Previously on this thread... My old iBook was making funny noises, and I got lots of helpful advice here on what to replace it with, and how to erase its disk securely so that random hackers couldn't gain access to my badly written prose and laugh themselves into oblivion, thereby rendering me responsible for their untimely deaths...

Well, by the time my new MacBook arrived on the eve of Christmas Eve, my iBook had started lapsing into unconsciousness nearly every time I tried to use it. Once I had the MacBook up and running, I tried to wipe the iBook's hard drive, but couldn't get it to work for long enough to open Disk Utility, never mind anything else. So I set the machine aside, under the writing desk on a bitterly cold wooden floor, while I plucked up the courage to ready myself for the brutal decision to dismantle it and physically nuke the drive. By mid-March, I decided that this level of procrastination was ridiculous, so I girded my loins, extracted the machine from its chilly hiding place, and switched it on. It worked! Then I remembered that I should have powered up from the system disks, so I had to do it again. It worked again! It opened Disk Utility without so much as a shudder. I thought I'd try a single pass at erasing it (not expecting it to stay alert long enough to finish), and against all the odds that worked, too! Then it went on to do a full seven-pass thing.

So now I have a blanked-out machine, which (irritatingly) might have had some life left in it, if only I had known how to coax it into being cooperative. I can't help wondering whether the long rest in a cold place had cured it, and whether I have deliberately wiped a perfectly serviceable machine. Especially since my husband now tells me that putting dodgy drives in the freezer is reputed to lengthen their life by many months. But on the plus side, my new MacBook has settled in well, and it is quite nice to know that I'm not running an obsolete processor and operating system.

Thank you to everyone for the help and advice.
Literature & Latte support team

gr
greenmorpher

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:33 am Post

Likewise, Siren. Seeing the need for mobility in my future as I will be yo-yoing between Melbourne, Australia, and Dili, Timor-Leste, I final;ly bit the bullet, put the desktops on eBay (1 still to go) and began to put into action a long term plan to buy a new white MacBook. Bought a 200 GB 7200 rpm replacement drive on eBay, bought 4 GB RAM on eBay both at good prices, and then, lo and behold, a local Apple outlet had a 10% off sale. I case my eyes heavenward, patted the rock in the backyard which I habitually talk to when making major decisions, and shot out and bought one.

Installed the HD and RAM in minutes (didn't even turn it on), and am now using that as my machine, sitting on top of a Mac mini dedicated La Cie HD for back-up and USB and F/W hubs, with a 22" Benq screen and whatnot all plugged in. Excellent. I believe the aluminium ones run cooler and are faster, but I wanted the FireWire socket. And the price! In any case, this white one runs much cooler than the previous model.

I'm very happy with it and suspect it may be the last computer I buy.

Check the eBay status of my last desktop -- a 933 G4 Q/S, lovely machine -- tonight, I noticed another very desireable desktop Mac on offer -- an SE with twin floppy drivers and a Rodime HD sitting under it. Software includes ClarisWorks II and PageMaker (version not given). How many books and magazines did I produce on an outfit like that? Ah! Memories!

One thing I really love about my computers these days is the desktop -- I run EarthDesk. Runs on both Mac and PC. Plugged into broadband, I have it set to update its view of the world from the satellites every few minutes. I watch big storms develop and wane. I watch cold front sweeping through the southern ocean to us. I watch night march inexorably across the screen. When I can see Dacca's lights in the enveloping gloom, I know it really IS time to go to bed because it is close to midnight here.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

Get "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" to deliver your words with real zing; and "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter" to learn to step safely in the publishing minefield. Amazon or http://www.worsleypress.com