Page 1 of 2

The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:39 pm
by bobueland
The Film "The Day after Tomorrow" is about global warming which disrupts the ocean's circulation and slows the Gulf Stream, causing a rapid cooling of the northern hemisphere. This triggers an ice age within days. A climate professor and his colleagues in Scotland are caught in the supercold storm and are about to freeze to death, as they are very well aware of. Somebody suggests that they make fire with a bottle of Scottish whiskey they have. But the professor refuses to put good Scottish whiskey to such a waste. Instead they agree to drink it up. They pour up their glasses with whiskey. Then they clink their glasses, and what do they say as their last words. I'm sure you can't guess. (On the other hand, if you are an American who is totally ignorant of history, maybe you can.)

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:23 pm
by vic-k
Got any ice?

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:27 pm
by Jaysen
Do you think we should give vic-k his leg back now?

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:17 pm
by xiamenese
bobueland wrote:The Film "The Day after Tomorrow" is about global warming which disrupts the ocean's circulation and slows the Gulf Stream, causing a rapid cooling of the northern hemisphere. This triggers an ice age within days. A climate professor and his colleagues in Scotland are caught in the supercold storm and are about to freeze to death, as they are very well aware of. Somebody suggests that they make fire with a bottle of Scottish whiskey they have. But the professor refuses to put good Scottish whiskey to such a waste. Instead they agree to drink it up. They pour up their glasses with whiskey. Then they clink their glasses, and what do they say as their last words. I'm sure you can't guess. (On the other hand, if you are an American who is totally ignorant of history, maybe you can.)

But there ain't no 'whiskey' in Scotland!

Sorry, just getting a bit fed up with an American colleague who keeps people at a distance with non-stop banter, which means for me that, with every Anglicism I use, he interrupts to say that if I learnt to speak English ...

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:39 am
by bobueland
bobueland wrote:They pour up their glasses with whiskey. Then they clink their glasses, and what do they say as their last words?


They say:

"For England".

Yes, that's right. That's what Scots say when they are about to die and clink their last glasses.

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:18 am
by vic-k
xiamenese wrote:...a bit fed up with an American colleague who keeps people at a distance with non-stop banter,


Mark,
Turnover any stone, and you`ll find a gobby yank! :(

vic

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:00 pm
by PJS
Vic:

Serves you right. You were supposed to turn over a new leaf, not a new stone.

ps

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:12 pm
by vic-k
See what I mean Mark. We`re on a loser, no matter what we do. :(
Yours in commiseration
Vic

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:35 pm
by alexwein
vic-k wrote:
xiamenese wrote:...a bit fed up with an American colleague who keeps people at a distance with non-stop banter,


Mark,
Turnover any stone, and you`ll find a gobby yank! :(

vic


Vic, :( :( :cry: :cry:

You don't like us... :cry: :cry: :cry:

But wait a minute. We won! Must be sour grapes!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:25 pm
by Vermonter17032
Before you start implying that all Americans are ignorant of history, you should check your own facts. The man who WROTE and DIRECTED The Day After Tomorrow, Roland Emmerich, was born and raised in Germany, where he also began his career in filmmaking. Americans are responsible for a lot of shit on the screen, but I don't think we deserve the blame for this fiasco.

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:52 pm
by Hugh
I used to work with someone who was at film school with Emmerich in Munich. He said he was always building and filming models even then, but scripting dialogue wasn't his strongest point... and evidently neither was Scottish/English history*.

H

* Though one can't take away from him the achievement of creating one of the most successful alien invasion movies ever made.

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:18 pm
by vic-k
alexwein wrote:Vic, :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

You don't like us... :cry: :cry: :cry:

If I said no...would you believe me?
Vic
PS: I think we let y`s win. We`re like that :wink:

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:40 pm
by Wock
During the Revolutionary War England had one of the most powerful and modern militaries with extensive training. They went up against Farmers and Peasants armed with hardly more than hunting rifles and captured weapons.


They lost.


"Bring me my brown pants!"

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:50 pm
by alexwein
vic-k wrote:
alexwein wrote:Vic, :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

You don't like us... :cry: :cry: :cry:

If I said no...would you believe me?
Vic
PS: I think we let y`s win. We`re like that :wink:


Yeah, you let us win, right. My brother used to try to use that one when he lost at Scrabble. When he was 12!!! :roll:

Re: The Day after Tomorrow

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:20 pm
by vic-k
We are Men Mon Amour, we always let the girls win :wink:
Le D :twisted: