On this day...

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:45 pm Post

... I hope all American scrivenistas enjoy the chance to take a decision that is likely to affect us all. All I ask is...

... please take the right one. :wink:

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:23 pm Post

Hugh wrote:... please take the right one.

AMEN!!!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:24 pm Post

I hope you mean the left one. ;)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jaysen

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:52 pm Post

Right for whom?

That is the fundamental problem here. What one sees as "right" another sees as "wrong". What one person or party (non-political) calls beneficial another sees as detrimental. Is MY vote a vote of self interest or a vote of self dis-interest? Will you be upset if Americans look out for themselves instead of everyone else? Should we (the Americans) expect the same from others? And what is an appropriate response if the non-Americans do not reciprocate the way the Americans desire?

Gets quite messy when you start thinking about it. Are you sure you want to start down this road?

edited to add the following thought
As an American I think it is in the best interests of the rest of the world to avoid us in any way possible. We (the Americans) have proven that we can not be trusted with power of virtually any type. My point above (which may not be all that clear on initial reading) is that getting involved with our politics is dangerous as we, the selfish, will EXPECT you to bow to the whims of our government no matter how despotic that government may be.

So run. Run like satan himself is pursing you and watch while this country tears itself apart at the seams with its incessant greed driven self-absorbed tyranny.

Good thing I am an optimist.
Last edited by Jaysen on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k

Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:04 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Gets quite messy when you start thinking about it.

I thought Dr Mulality had advised you to avoid thinking.
Takecare
Fluff
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:06 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Jaysen wrote:Gets quite messy when you start thinking about it.

I thought Dr Mulality had advised you to avoid thinking.
Takecare
Fluff
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:06 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Gets quite messy when you start thinking about it. Are you sure you want to start down this road?

I just want my newspaper to write about something else for a change! :D (Don't worry... 99% of me was joking...)
Literature & Latte support team

vic-k

Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:53 pm Post

Siren wrote:I just want my newspaper to write about something else for a change!

Its OK Jaysen, Siren`s a Daily Mail reader :shock:
vic

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:09 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Siren`s a Daily Mail reader :shock:
vic

Shrieks of outrage! :shock:
Literature & Latte support team

vic-k

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:36 pm Post

Siren wrote:Shrieks of outrage! :shock:

Daily Sport?! Sun?! Star?! Express?! God forbid The Telegraph!! Which? :?

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:40 pm Post

I think I'm detecting, Jaysen, that you're not necessarily a "shining city on the hill"/"last best hope" sort of American patriot? :wink:

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

vic-k

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:38 pm Post

Hugh,
I think Jaysen`s problem, like a lot of Americans`, is: he`s looking at his country, with his heart, but he can`t get his head around what he sees. I suspect, and hope, with all 'my' heart, that tomorrow, his, not unfounded disenchantment and disillusionment, will begin a steady process of dissipation.

Obama is no messiah, and he wont deliver unto us, Utopia/nirvana, but I believe he`s the right guy at the right time. I could be wrong...let`s see. :wink:
Take care
Vic

PS Take a look at the Onion: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/89515
This is from it
Quote: The Onion
4:13pm Undecided voter Allison Blackmore has been in that damn booth since 8 a.m.

Jaysen

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:22 pm Post

The problem is that we (the American) are unable to see the real problem. While I detest both candidates I am not convinced the Obama IS the right choice for one reason only. He wants to mitigate (my word not his) the current disasters we (America again) are in. While this seems like a good idea, so does putting more lipstick on an ugly pig when you are looking for a hot date.

My dilemma is this: Is the immediate collapse of US economy better than a long dragged out decline?

It is inevitable that we (everyone, not just the US) are headed for 1921 all over again. If we wind up with McCain this decline will be rapid and rebuilding will begin within a his single term. If we get Obama we will slowly sink over the course of 8 or 10 years arriving at the rebuild point in 10-15 years. Obama will try to solve the "issue" but the problem is not financial., it is ethical.

If you look a the "crisis" it is due to greedy, lying, manipulative gamblers. McCain's stance of "accountable for action" might allow for a rebuilding of the financial foundations in a very short window. Effectively a short sever depression that will look like a bounce.

Obama will try to soften the fall. In the long run this will drain the middle class of all assets leaving all the wealth in the hands of a few uber rich. Just like the Roosevelt/Eisenhower days. Obama will work in the best interest of "the people" but unlike those time (R/E) we will still be going downhill, not recovering, hence the best intentions will exasperate, not relive the situation. To make it worse, everything else about Obama screams "VOTE FOR ME". I like the man, the ideas, the theory of his plans.

What is an honest person to do? Vote for MY benefit, or yours? If I vote to alleviate the Iraq situation (I am with you all on this one) I stand an extremely high chance of dooming my children to an unsustainable future. If I vote my ethics then I doom the word to a continuation of the last 8 years. Either way I loose. So do you. We are doomed.

How is your day going?
Jaysen

Jaysen

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Hugh,
I think Jaysen`s problem, like a lot of Americans`, is: he`s looking at his country, with his heart, but he can`t get his head around what he sees.

Vic-k,

Thanks for trying to figure this out. I have never had such a consuming black mood descend on me as the one that has accompanied this election. I am ready to quit, throw in the towel. I see no hope for the future. Yet I need to keep my chin up for snort, the daughditor, little boy, and the guys at work. "Lead by example" is the moto that is killing me right now. If I really tell them that I have lost hope for a stable future … what is left?

I feel like the man on the ship who needs to decide if his end will be by the fire burning the ship to the waterline, or as food to the sharks in the water.

Come what may, I can stand and say that I cast my vote for reasons that I hold dear.
Jaysen

os
oscuridad

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:11 am Post

Disagree about the inevitability of Depression. Its worth remembering that the current problems really only belong to America and Britain and anyone else stupid enough to get involved with our bankers. Plenty of other countries are doing well and will continue to do so. As for who American's should vote for? I don't know. The best option, imho, was lost in the Democratic Nominations somewhere...

Mr BIden has a nice smile though...

But the main reason that Obama HAS to win is a certain Alaskan Governor, who would start WW3 within six months of getting into office...
Last edited by oscuridad on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osc