Oh no - is Apple now a phone company?

Se
Sebbi

Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:46 pm Post

antony wrote:Heh. No, I know. But it's not like this is new, sadly. I get the impression the TextEdit team consists of, like, one guy in a broom cupboard that nobody else talks to.

I'm sure he's just misunderstood and has a good heart.
Everything my heart desires, may you achieve and be my accomplice

antony

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:25 pm Post

In related news, Apple dumps on Flash even further:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/16/app ... lications/
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

Wock

Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:39 pm Post

Wow.

It is like a tug of war.

Years ago it Was Java.

Then Java was bastardized by MS and was considered too slow and everyone got Flash hot and heavy.

Now HTML 5.0 and Java are showing some nice things and making Flash look old and cumbersome.

PS3, Xbox360, Wii, HDTV, DVR, Keyless Cars.

Oh the tech wars continue.

But they haven't really made very many leaps and bounds in upgrading the toilet. :-)
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

antony

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:33 pm Post

Wock wrote:Now HTML 5.0 and Java

Javascript has no connection to Java beyond its name. The 'old school' java is still as shit as it ever was.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

Wock

Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:42 am Post

Web 3.0 I think will be Interactive video, a lot of bandwidth, glitz and glam and of course lots of spam.
:-)

But I never thought I would see the demise of flash. I thought it would take slow root like PDF and then eventually become an Open Standard that was quirky.

Oh well when it comes to tech every time you take a nap everything changes....

ma
matt

Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:37 am Post

antony wrote:
Wock wrote:Now HTML 5.0 and Java

Javascript has no connection to Java beyond its name. The 'old school' java is still as shit as it ever was.

I would disagree with that. Java has its uses. Admittedly its GUI is not attractive as Cocoa's, but Cocoa isn't cross-platform, and C++ applications don't work cross-platform without a lot of additional work for GUIs etc.

It allows for quick development, works over networks, and even its run-time performance is comparable to other applications in most situations.

The ugliness of its GUIs is probably its only major detractor.

Matt

antony

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:18 am Post

Java's runtime performance is actually its biggest flaw, in my opinion. The UI is awful, and that's a big minus, but I could live with that if it ran faster than a tortoise through treacle.
Last edited by antony on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

ma
matt

Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:09 pm Post

I thought it had improved in that area. Certainly from where it started at least.

I admit I haven't touched Java since getting my Mac, so I don't know how it has gone recently, or on this platform.

Matt

antony

Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:13 pm Post

It's always been awful on the Mac. Sure, it's faster than it used to be, but I put that largely down to increased processor speed, not any great strides on the part of Java itself.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

Se
Sebbi

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:38 pm Post

I'm definately with Anthony on this one. There were a couple of apps I used to use that were Java; they were really simple and they still ran terribly.
Everything my heart desires, may you achieve and be my accomplice

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:57 pm Post

St
Studio717

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 pm Post

Wock

Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:15 pm Post

CUPERTINO, CA—Only a month after the much-heralded announcement of the iPhone, Apple CEO Steve Jobs confirmed that his engineers were already working around-the-clock on the touchscreen smartphone's far-superior replacement. "We looked at [the iPhone's] innovative user interface, the paradigm-shifting voicemail, the best-in-class mobile browser, and we realized we could make all that seem ridiculously outdated by the time the product becomes available to customers in June," said Jobs, who described the project as "Apple reinventing the iPhone." "When the second-generation iPhone comes out this fall, we want iPhone users to feel not just jealous, but downright foolish for owning such laughably primitive technology." Jobs also hinted that the second iPhone device would not be compatible with existing Mac computers, third-party peripherals, or any future Apple products.

heheheh