Oh no - is Apple now a phone company?

antony

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:06 pm Post

tl;dr

It is worth pointing out, however, that the only people to blame for Adobe falling behind are Adobe. Apple warned them years ago that Carbon support would eventually be deprecated. Instead of doing something about it, Adobe twiddled their thumbs and made new icons.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:39 am Post

Wock,

That "short novel" was 1,835 words.
Do you have a living to make?
Vic-k is retired, but what's your excuse?
Oops, gotta go. Agent's calling on the iPhone.

Droo

da
dafu
Platform: Mac

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:01 am Post

So you would think they would have spread themselves out a little more in the keynote on multiple subjects that would effect the people attending, Developers.

If they spent the keynote on developer subjects the media attention would have been nil. Seen any front page New York Times articles on the Oracle Dev conference, lately?

Judging by the session lists, I'm guessing the Mac developers are not feeling left-out.

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/sessions/

Dave

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:45 pm Post

No offence, Dave, but that's not the point :) The point is that most years the keynote touches topics that concern the developers but also have a wider interest - the development of a new OS and what it is going to offer in terms of frameworks (cool things for developers and users); a move to new hardware which means work for developers and cool advances for users, and so on. But this year the whole thing was skewed. The whole keynote was aimed entirely at consumers (and, admittedly, iPhone developers) and there was nothing for Mac developers (or Mac users who aren't interested in an iPhone). Not every developer can attend WWDC, but we'd still like to see something from Jobs that concerns us in the keynote to the most important event of the Mac developer year. As I've said now until I'm blue in the face, half an hour or even an hour on the iPhone - fine. The whole two hours (with an advert played twice) - not fine. I'm sorry, but the keynote of a developers' conference should have something in it for the majority of developers. You can argue all you want that it wouldn't get the press coverage etc etc, but it's not like the announcement of a new iPhone wouldn't have got press coverage anyway. It's beside the point that general users or the press keep an eye on the keynote. A "keynote" is supposed to set the key or tone for what is to follow. That is its definition. At a developers' conference it should set the tone (a buzz of excitement) for the developers. If they want to rename it to "pre-development press announcements", fine. But until they do, it should have something for developers above the general user. Sorry.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm going on about it. It really doesn't matter. I was just really, really disappointed by the keynote because I couldn't give a stuff about gadgets such as the iPhone. I'll carry on quietly developing Scrivener for the Mac regardless. :)

Best,
Keith

antony

Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:50 pm Post

KB wrote:I'll carry on quietly developing Scrivener for the Mac regardless. :)

And ultimately, that's all any of us cares about :D
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:09 pm Post

Actually, I just ought to add that I hope Dafu doesn't take my above post wrong. Dafu - you've been around here for a while and I totally respect you so I hope you don't take my disagreeing with you as being rude! I think, as is my wont, I've overstated my point, but that is nothing unusual. :)
Best,
Keith

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:10 pm Post

if `ee kicks orf Cap`n, giv im t`plank! :shock:

rat
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

da
dafu

Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:27 am Post

No offense taken, Keith—I’m aware that in the past you’ve become exercised whenever Apple seemed to be diverging from a focus on pure Mac development.

If you look at the developer’s conference keynotes historically, however, you’ll see that this last one is simply the continuation of a consistent trend away from developer-centered topics to marketing-centered topics. Conference keynotes in the '90s didn’t nearly have the razzmatazz that the recent ones have.

I might also argue that developers are interested in products that will sell their products and if they can produce software easily for new hardware they’ll be even more interested. A case in point, the winner for the Apple Design Awards iPhone Productivity Application was written by the Omnigroup—a dyed-in-the-wool, XCode-using Mac developer if there is one (aside from you, of course).

Now, I am hoping that Cornwall will prove conducive for iScriv, whoops, Scrivener development. Do let us know if I’m right.

Dave

P.S. Planks can be arranged for 3-legged insouciants as well.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:30 am Post

:shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:44 am Post

No offense taken, Keith—I’m aware that in the past you’ve become exercised whenever Apple seemed to be diverging from a focus on pure Mac development.

Guilty as charged. :) Although it's more the fact that so much development has gone into the iPhone when, for example, the OS X text system hasn't been significantly enhanced since Tiger. (Actually, that last point may not be entirely true - I think the text system went through a lot of internal changes in Leopard, it's just that long-term gripes and the buggy features introduced in Tiger such as lists and tables weren't touched.)

Anyway. You're probably right. It's probably just me, as I haven't seen anyone else bitch about the keynote anywhere. And I do have a long-standing hatred of mobile phones...

Best,
Keith

gr
greenmorpher

Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:31 am Post

I think it is pathetic that lists and tables got work in the text engine only in OS X.4.x. The text engine was a big selling point of OS X ... then when they got everyone nicely suckered in, Apple basically dropped the ball on it leaving their true believers high and dry for years. Don't want to give anyone the tools to challenge office.

As for phones, I'll stick with my nearly decade old Nokia. It makes phone calls. Bounces when I drop it. The buttons are big enough for my arthritic fingers to hit them one by one.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, now at the new low price of $29.95. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.

da
dafu

Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:30 pm Post

it's just that long-term gripes and the buggy features introduced in Tiger such as lists and tables weren't touched.

You're right to be peeved about that. Maybe it'll be included in the work on speed and stability in Snow Leopard. :wink:

And I do have a long-standing hatred of mobile phones.

I just love getting on the El at the end of a long day and seeing twenty-five people with their hands up at their ear.

Dave

antony

Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:10 pm Post

Yeah, all sarkiness aside, it is indeed shameful that the native text system doesn't rank higher on Apple's priorities. Safari gets an entirely new javascript engine, but sorting out the bullets and tables in TextEdit, well, that's apparently too much work...
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:06 pm Post

And I hate to say it, but that's because Apple are concentrating on web-based stuff at the moment, and the iPhone is at the centre of this... ;)

antony

Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:35 pm Post

Heh. No, I know. But it's not like this is new, sadly. I get the impression the TextEdit team consists of, like, one guy in a broom cupboard that nobody else talks to.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com