Your worst film adaptation ...

Ah
Ahab

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:29 pm Post

And then there's the horrifying habit my countrymen have of feeding cheese before the meal, instead of after it.

Thankfully, we don't pollute our fried fish with mushy peas, or frighten the unwary with prawn crisps.

But bags of salted pork rinds does leave us with splainin to do.

Wock

Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:13 pm Post

Pork RInds, Collards, Fat Back (in everything), and neck bone, Pigs feet, Chittlin's and some hair of the dog. Woo doggy and wash it down with some ice cold sweet tea and we are in business!

Now what I wonder is this. England gave us (america) the big start. Now the big English custom is Tea.
But in America it is not Tea but rather Coffee. Were did we get the "Coffee Custom" from? (Maybe Portland?)

Towards topic:
Phantoms by Dean Koontz was a very good "scary novel". The movie was horrible.
Watchers by Dean Koontz was an excellent novel. The movie was horrible. It was so bad they made two additional movies that were even worse.

Dean Koontz just hasn't had much luck with film adaptations of his work.
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:01 pm Post

Ahab wrote:But bags of salted pork rinds does leave us with splainin to do.

Over here on the civilised side of the pond, :roll: the above is what I think, we call, 'Pork Scratchings'. I`m very partial to them. It`s a very popular snack in the pubs. Also if you Google 'Powered Pork Rind', you`ll find it is much admired Stateside, as a healthy alternative to flour, in cooking. And, apparently 'delicious' with it :wink: So don`t go selling y`selves short. Leave us something to do. :lol: :lol:
I spent a whole afternoon, a few weeks ago, trying to buy some, but couldn`t get any.
But!!! Never fear!! I shall prevail :evil:

vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Ah
Ahab

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:30 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Ahab wrote:But bags of salted pork rinds does leave us with splainin to do.

Over here on the civilised side of the pond, :roll: the above is what I think, we call, 'Pork Scratchings'. I`m very partial to them. It`s a very popular snack in the pubs. Also if you Google 'Powered Pork Rind', you`ll find it is much admired Stateside, as a healthy alternative to flour, in cooking. And, apparently 'delicious' with it :wink: So don`t go selling y`selves short. Leave us something to do. :lol: :lol:
I spent a whole afternoon, a few weeks ago, trying to buy some, but couldn`t get any.
But!!! Never fear!! I shall prevail :evil:

vic

For the artisanally inclined, your countryman Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has excellent recipes in his River Cottage Meat Book for homemade pork rinds. A bowl of pig, a pint of scrumpy, and a short-circuited-synapses evening of listening to the old arteries harden.

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:42 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Dear Alexandria,
You do of course, realise, that you have opened a whole new thread, pertaining to the myriad,'Shades & Hues, of Doggy do-do. :shock:
Do take care,
Fluff

Oy, Fluffy, you're right! What was I thinking! :shock:
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

alexwein

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:45 pm Post

antony wrote:If you crazy colonials actually called biscuits and cakes by their proper names, none of this would have happened.

We have wonderful biscuits and cakes, all quite properly named. We even have 'English biscuits' or as they are otherwise called, 'English muffins.' Very delicious, thank you for that. And for your accents. I love English accents (though to be really honest, I do prefer Australian accents even more. Very lyrical).
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

vic-k

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:47 pm Post

Ahab,
As far as I am aware, It is possible to buy 'Powdered Pork Rind', by the bag full. I`m assuming all the fat has been scraped off, because it was praised in the recipes, as being much healthier than flour.

Whittingstall couldn`t give a gorilla`s fart about healthy eating :lol: :lol: He`s a hedonist! 8)
vic

Alexandria!!
hush yo` mouth child!! :shock: Don`t you go tellin` those there.'Dingo Dodgers' as they talk all nice `n such!! :shock: Shame on you child! :evil: Them there Australoosians, almost outnumber Portlanders onboard Scriv. Don`t you go encouragin` `em now!!
Last edited by vic-k on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Ah
Ahab

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:55 pm Post

[quote="vic-k"]Ahab,
As far as I am aware, It is possible to buy 'Powdered Pork Rind', by the bag full. I`m assuming all the fat has been scraped off, because it was praised in the recipes, as being much healthier than flour.

Whittingstall couldn`t give a gorilla`s fart about healthy eating :lol: :lol: He`s a hedonist! 8)
vic

Hugh F-W is an unrepentant hedonist, and according to a friend who was at school with him, is a certifiable nutjob to boot--in an entertaining sort of way.

He's a good food writer, though, going beyond Cook These This Way pedestrianism into full-whack mania, kind of like Elizabeth David on crack; a demi-sec Hunter Thompson meets Nigella Lawson.

vic-k

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:26 pm Post

H.F-W`s recipes in every Sat. in The Guardian Weekend Magazine, are well worth clocking, on t` Guardian website. I shall just go and find the link :wink:
Her we are: http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food
You`ll probably be able to do an archive search for all his past recipes.
Here we go again :D
http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/foo ... 11,00.html
Vic
Last edited by vic-k on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ah
Ahab

Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:46 am Post

Thanks, Vic. The garden's just coming on and wants inspirational cooking, and some of those recipess aren't in F-W's books.

vic-k

Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:37 pm Post

Ahab,
Give Nigel Slater`s archive a looking at. He`s got some very interesting recipes too :wink:
Vic

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/exp ... 57,00.html

xiamenese

Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:57 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Ahab,
Give Nigel Slater`s archive a looking at. He`s got some very interesting recipes too :wink:
Vic

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/exp ... 57,00.html

Well, my thread has -- as is commonly the case on this forum -- gone wildly off topic, but I'm going to throw in my 2 角 here. I'd go for Nigel Slater any day, in comparison with H F-W ... you can keep the latter for mine!

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.2, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

vic-k

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:04 pm Post

C`est la vie old pal :wink:
Take care
vic