Your worst film adaptation ...

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Mon May 12, 2008 5:19 pm Post

Yay! John Travolta on platforms. :roll: As horrid as the most horrid thing. :twisted:
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon May 12, 2008 6:11 pm Post

JT in Platforms-Horrid? never!! 6in stilettos black nylons and a sussy belt...yeah...that`s rough! :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed May 14, 2008 4:45 pm Post

I was Subjected to that movie once, and out of curiosity I picked up a copy of the book because I couldn't fathom how any story that awful ever got around to adaptation in the first place.

The book is just as bad if not worse! So while I would agree with you in that this possibly one of the worst films ever made (it isn't even remotely "good in a bad way"), it's actually a pretty good adaptation!

Hu
Hugh

Wed May 14, 2008 5:00 pm Post

vic-k wrote:JT in Platforms-Horrid? never!! 6in stilettos black nylons and a sussy belt...yeah...that`s rough! :shock:

Maybe if you wait long enough, vic...? :lol:

(Though he was far from horrid or rough in that movie.)

vic-k

Wed May 14, 2008 5:29 pm Post

Impitoyable Mere de Lucifer!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Le D :twisted:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Wock

Thu May 15, 2008 1:04 am Post

I could have gone all day without seeing that picture

(Ugggghhhh)
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

vic-k

Thu May 15, 2008 10:40 am Post

actually the above is the only known photo of a 'Thetan' .

PJ
PJS

Thu May 15, 2008 12:47 pm Post

Vic -- From the Scientology web site:

the thetan is that which animates the body

Now then, does it animate my body? Well, there's that sinking feeling in the gut, not unlike the urge to vomit, there's that. And a few others of less delicate provenance.

So, maybe it's a thetan. Keeping in context, though, I'd allow as how it might be a recent incarnation of L Ron Hubbard.

Phil
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

Hu
Hugh

Thu May 15, 2008 1:22 pm Post

For vic-k, M. Le D, Wock and PJS:

And it is an adaptation. (So is the movie :) . )

vic-k

Thu May 15, 2008 2:33 pm Post

looka those pantaloons!! arrrgghhh!! this is heaven ! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Phil wrote:
Now then, does it animate my body? Well, there's that sinking feeling in the gut, not unlike the urge to vomit, there's that. And a few others of less delicate provenance.

Now come on there, young Philip, if you found yourself stuck in a phone booth with her, and she sang, "Come on baby light my fire!" :?: :?:
Vic :lol:
Last edited by vic-k on Thu May 15, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexwein

Thu May 15, 2008 6:16 pm Post

AmberV wrote:I was Subjected to that movie once, and out of curiosity I picked up a copy of the book because I couldn't fathom how any story that awful ever got around to adaptation in the first place.

The book is just as bad if not worse! So while I would agree with you in that this possibly one of the worst films ever made (it isn't even remotely "good in a bad way"), it's actually a pretty good adaptation!

Ha, it's a good adaptation because it was as awful as the book. Funny!
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

PJ
PJS

Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:57 pm Post

This guy walk into a bar, see, and he sits on a stool, and he stares off into space. Thinking. Dreaming. Bartender comes over, says "What'll you have?"

Guy says, "Gimme a beer, and if you know any good stories, I could sure use one."

Bartender pulls him a beer, sets it on the bar, and says, "Well, there was this book I read once. I sorta remember the maybe last part of it."

Guy is obviously desperate, for story more than for beer. "Tell me," he says. "Tell me."

So the bartender tells him as much as he can remember about the last hundred and fifty pages of this gigantic novel he read a few years earlier. Only it's late at night, and the bartender is tired, and maybe a little bit in the tank himself, so he doesn't get all the details right. In fact, he pretty much screws up the plot. Still, there's the germ of an idea there, and the guy on the stool listens. Listens to a screwed-up version of the last part of a novel, told to him by a dim-witted half-drunk bartender.

Now, this was more than fifty years ago. I don't know who the bartender was. But the guy on the stool, the guy who was looking for a story, was none other than screen writer Paul Osborn, who took the bartender's distorted half-assed story to director Elia Kazan, who was looking for material for a new movie, which would star wunderkid James Dean.

Kazan listens to Osborn, thinks a moment, asks for a repeat of a couple details, then says, "Where did you get this story?"

"Bartender told it to me," Osborn says. "Last night."

"Sounds to me," says Kazan, "just a little bit like the last section of East of Eden."

"Wow," says Osborn. "You mean that 900-page potboiler by Steinbeck."

"The very same," says Kazan.

"So, we got a ready-make title," says Osborn. "Is that kid Dean ready to go?"

Thus it was that Paul Osborn wrote and Elia Kazan directed and James Dean starred in a movie with the unforgivably misleading title of East of Eden. All three of them were nominated for Academy Awards for their contributions. Fortunately, none of them won, leaving Henry Kissinger's Nobel Peace Prize alone at the top of the Egregiously Mistaken Awards list.

Still, if you yearn for stilted dialogue, anachronistic clothing and hair styles, drama-queen posing and mumbling in the name of acting, and just the barest trace of Steinbeck lurking in the wings, here's your baby. [Spoiler alert: In a few spots, when Jo Van Fleet or Burl Ives is on screen, you might mistake this for a good movie. Not a good movie version of East of Eden, but a moment of decent cinema anyway.]
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

Wock

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:57 pm Post

Since we are discussing movies I thought this story might fit in with the discussion in an offbeat way. It is a story about Parents and restrictions on what they will let their children watch based on the rating scale.

I love this story. :-)

A father of some teenage children had the family rule that they could not attendPG-13 or R rated movies. His three teens wanted to see a particular popular movie that was playing at local theaters. It was rated PG-13.
The teens interviewed friends and even some members of their family's church to find out what was offensive in the movie. The teens made a list of pros and cons about the movie to use to convince their dad that they should be allowed to see it. The con's were that it contained ONLY 3 swear words, the ONLY violence was a building exploding (and you see that on TV all the time they said), and you actually did not "see" the couple in the movie having sex - it was just implied sex, off camera. The pros were that it was a popular movie - a block buster. Everyone was seeing it. If the teens saw the movie then they would not feel left out when their friends discussed it. The movie contained a good story and plot. It had some great adventure and suspense in it. There were some fantastic special effects in this movie. The movie's stars were some of the most talented actors in Hollywood. It probably would be nominated for several awards.
Many of the members of their Christian church had even seen the movie and said it wasn't "very bad". Therefore, since there were more pros than cons the teens said they were asking their father to reconsider his position on just this ONE movie and let them have permission to go see it.
The father looked at the list and thought for a few minutes. He said he could tell his children had spent some time and thought on this request. He asked if he could have a day to think about it before making his decision. The teens were thrilled thinking; "Now we've got him! Our argument is too good! Dad can't turn us down!" So, they happily agreed to let him have a day to think about their request.
The next evening the father called in his three teenagers, who were smiling smugly, into the living room. There on the coffee table he had a plate of brownies. The teens were puzzled. The father told his children he had thought about their request and had decided that if they would eat a brownie then he would let them go to the movie. But just like the movie, the brownies had pros and cons.
The pros were that they were made with the finest chocolate and other good ingredients. They had the added special effect of yummy walnuts in them. The brownies were moist and fresh with wonderful chocolate frosting on top. He had made these fantastic brownies using an award-winning recipe. And best of all, the brownies had been made lovingly by the hand of their own father.
The brownies only had one con. The father had included a little bit of a special ingredient. The brownies also contained just a little bit of dog poop. But he had mixed the dough well - they probably would not even be able to taste the dog poop and he had baked it at 350 degrees so any bacteria or germs from the dog poop had probably been destroyed.
Therefore, if any of his children could stand to eat the brownies which included just a "little bit of crap" and not be effected by it, then he knew they would also be able to see the movie with "just a little bit of smut" and not be effected.
Of course, none of the teens would eat the brownies and the smug smiles had left their faces. Only Dad was smiling smugly as they left the room.
Now when his teenagers ask permission to do something he is opposed to the father just asks, "Would you like me to whip up a batch of my special brownies?"
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Jacqi Corgan

Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:52 pm Post

Wow! :lol: Sounds like something my Dad would have done!
A scrivener using Scrivener. (Credit to xiamenese! :) )

Sean Coffee

Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:58 pm Post

Wock:

Due respect, but that story kind of made me want to move to Amsterdam.

SC