Do you know any good zen story?

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:40 pm Post

Hugh wrote:
xiamenese wrote:
Jaysen wrote:<snip> I'm probably as wrong as maple syrup on sushi though*.

OT, but for whatever's sake, don't go public on that or some self-obsessed chef will take it up and it'll become the next food fashion.

:twisted:

Mr X

Oh, I don't know - devilled kidneys with raspberry yogurt, anyone? No one picked up that one when I experimented with it at university - fortunately!

I think you just won the "evidence of poor gastronomic decision making" contest for today.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:54 am Post

Hugh wrote:
xiamenese wrote:
Jaysen wrote:<snip> I'm probably as wrong as maple syrup on sushi though*.

OT, but for whatever's sake, don't go public on that or some self-obsessed chef will take it up and it'll become the next food fashion.

:twisted:

Mr X

Oh, I don't know - devilled kidneys with raspberry yogurt, anyone? No one picked up that one when I experimented with it at university - fortunately!

Hugh, when you and I were at university, food had not become part of the fashion world as it is now … it was still food. There was no social media telling us what was trending, and cooking on TV was somewhere between Fanny Craddock and Delia Smith.

:D

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:30 am Post

I remember Fanny Craddock. She could cook food just by looking at it.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

Jaysen

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:38 pm Post

mbbntu wrote:I remember Fanny Craddock. She could cook food just by looking at it.

I can't tell if that is a compliment (she sooo hot) or an insult (demon face from hell). Please relieve the pressure building in my brain and tell me what I'm supposed to think..
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Jaysen

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:46 pm Post

The cat didn't learn... but it did use google. Brain is now edible.
Jaysen

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:11 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
mbbntu wrote:I remember Fanny Craddock. She could cook food just by looking at it.

I can't tell if that is a compliment (she sooo hot) or an insult (demon face from hell). Please relieve the pressure building in my brain and tell me what I'm supposed to think..

Jaysen wrote:The cat didn't learn... but it did use google. Brain is now edible.

that's all very well, but she couldn't've done it without Johnny's helpImage
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Hu
Hugh

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:28 am Post

vic-k wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

Jaysen wrote:The cat didn't learn... but it did use google. Brain is now edible.

that's all very well, but she couldn't've done it without Johnny's helpImage

Or, sadly, without the help of her "hundreds and thousands".
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Jaysen

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:59 pm Post

I miss good food. Really good food. I'm going back to bed.
Jaysen

garpu
Platform: Linux

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:52 am Post

Maple syrup on sushi: Might work with unagi. Unagi sauce is on the sweet side. Don't think I'd try it on tuna.

Buddhists aren't overly united or uniform. They get into flame-fests and fights like the rest of us over theology/philosophy.

My thought was that if an AI is incapable of suffering, it wouldn't need dharma, correct? Kind of like the question if aliens have original sin that comes up in C. S. Lewis or Mary Doria Russell from time to time. (I'll throw in a shout-out to Ann Lecke's Ancillary Justice. I really need to finish that trilogy someday.)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Jaysen

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:44 pm Post

garpu wrote:My thought was that if an AI is incapable of suffering, it wouldn't need dharma, correct?
I would agree.
Jaysen

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:59 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:I would agree.

The watchers on Alpha Centauri would probably beg to differ.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:47 am Post

garpu wrote:Maple syrup on sushi: Might work with unagi. Unagi sauce is on the sweet side. Don't think I'd try it on tuna.

I wonder if maple syrup with sea urchin might not work...
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

xiamenese

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 am Post

See what you've started, Jaysen! Coming soon to a pretentious restaurant near you[1] …

:roll: :twisted:

Mr X

[1] except that from what I have gathered, there aren't too many restaurants, pretentious or otherwise, near you!
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

garpu
Platform: Linux

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:02 pm Post

devinganger wrote:
garpu wrote:Maple syrup on sushi: Might work with unagi. Unagi sauce is on the sweet side. Don't think I'd try it on tuna.

I wonder if maple syrup with sea urchin might not work...

Ranch dressing, then?
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:26 pm Post

devinganger wrote:I wonder if maple syrup with sea urchin might not work...

Don't mock! I have actually eaten griddled scallops drizzled lightly with maple syrup, sprinkled with sumac, served with a blob of crème fraîche and a spoonful of fresh tomato salsa, on a bed of rocket. It was surprisingly pleasant. (I think cheffy people would call the blob and the spoonful "quenelles", though.)
Literature & Latte support team