Who can cook?

antony

Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:20 am Post

MarcustheBlacksmith wrote:I had a number of vegetarian housemates in my student days

Surely half the point of being a student is to spend a couple of years eating (and drinking) trash, regardless of whether you're veggie or not? ;)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

Ma
Matthew Graybosch

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:08 pm Post

antony wrote:Surely half the point of being a student is to spend a couple of years eating (and drinking) trash, regardless of whether you're veggie or not? ;)

Only insofar as the point of being a student is to be broke, horny, and under constant stress because you're broke and horny.
Using Scrivener 1.12 beta on 1st gen MacBook (Lilywhite Lilith)
"Arioch! Arioch! Hookers and blow for my lord Arioch!"

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:49 am Post

Hmm, while I am sure the forums don't really need recipe-swapping traffic, I make an exception here, because Karen was needing some of this:

Bittersweet Chocolate on Toasted Baguette with Sea Salt

4 slices of baguette, thin
1 oz bittersweet chocolate, in 4 pieces
1/4 tbs good, extra-virgin olive oil (or less)
Coarse sea salt

1) Preheat broiler and broil baguette slices on baking sheet set 5 inches from heat—until toasted, 30 secs.
2) Remove from heat, flip the toasts and place a chocolate piece on each.
3) Back under the broiler and go until chocolate is beginning to melt and bread is golden—maybe 45 seconds.
4) Plate them, drizzle with oil.
5) Sprinkle with sea salt to taste—more than you expect is the right amount.

Serve Immediately. Unbelievably good.

Choose a good, flavorful olive oil that you will taste.

Makes 2 servings--or only one, if you actually got some writing done today. Also only makes one serving if you tried to write something today but didn't.

(Ferran Adria says "Yes!")
Last edited by gr on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antony

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:56 am Post

Matthew Graybosch wrote:Only insofar as the point of being a student is to be broke, horny, and under constant stress because you're broke and horny.

QED.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

ptram
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:06 am Post

antony wrote:
MarcustheBlacksmith wrote:Surely half the point of being a student is to spend a couple of years eating (and drinking) trash, regardless of whether you're veggie or not? ;)

When studying at Macerata, I sometimes did eat at a bad place for students. This was happening in a small university town with great restaurants and deli shops. I learned to eat as few as possible during day, to return home in the evening and eat at home.

While spending one month in Berkeley, I could appreciate the internal dorm's restaurant. Inexpensive, with a lot of fresh fruit and freshly baked pizza. I was pleasantly surprised by the food - even if it took a bit, for me, to learn how to eat in America (the first days, my fellows laughed at me dropping ice in the milk...)

Paolo

antony

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:56 am Post

I forgot to mention (and was reminded by something else) that I can also bake sponges, cakes and the like. I'm currently frustrated in this endeavour, as our oven's previous owner was Methuselah in his student days, and burns anything it can get its hands on. When we get a new one, however, there will be much baking, oh yes. I heartily recommend it, it's dead simple and very therapeutic.

(I once baked my fiancee a valentine's dessert - a tart with a heart shape cut into the top pastry, exposing the red cherries inside. Many brownie points were earned ;))
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:10 am Post

Mere D`Lucifer :shock: :oops:

by antony on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:12 am
Actually, the reality is even more scary; she's an ex-TA squaddie with a degree in English Lit.

by antony on Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:56 am
(I once baked my fiancee a valentine's dessert - a tart with a heart shape cut into the top pastry, exposing the red cherries inside. Many brownie points were earned )

The mind doth pleasantly boggle 8) En fait M`sieur antony....I`ll show you my kinky therapist, if you show me your f.....
Le D :twisted:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ptram

Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:30 pm Post

antony wrote:a tart with a heart shape cut into the top pastry, exposing the red cherries inside

Sweet, indeed!

Paolo

vic-k

Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:42 am Post

...`a tart with a heart`... Mere d.... what more could a man ask for!

Just thinking about it, is making me almost human again
Le D :twisted:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Wock

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:31 am Post

1 Gallon of Milk
1 Box of Cereal
4 Spoons

Feed an army in minutes
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Wock

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:32 am Post

I hear I taste Like Chicken. :oops:
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

vic-k

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:34 am Post

Wock wrote:I hear I taste Like Chicken.

Not chicken..y` feathered freak! CRAP!!

Mammy Jameson

alexwein

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:10 pm Post

Speaking of chicken, my husband just got laid off (not the chicken part) and we have to really cut costs. So, as I write this, I'm making chicken soup! No pigeons. Just good, old-fashioned chicken. Now I have to actually learn how to cook things. :shock:

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

vic-k

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:34 am Post

Alex, Chuckle Bunny,
I struggle momentarily, out of withdrawal, to communicate in an appropriate manner.

It goes without saying, that I hope your husband`s period of lay off is a short one, and that any negative consequences of it are short lived. Having said that: if it introduces you to the world of...cheap...nutritious... delicious, home cooked dishes, then it`s not all bad.

It`s a given, that the cheapest cuts of meat, for example are the tastiest, and invariably, because the required cooking time is longer( albeit on a drastically reduced cooking temperature), the most succulent. And what you can do with one chicken is obscene, believe me. I know, I was that soldier :wink:

Invest in a slow cooker or as there called in the underdeveloped parts of the`Globe` like Portland. a crock-pot http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-crock-pot.htm

The best of Good Luck to you both
Vic

consequences

Jaysen

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:32 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Invest in a slow cooker or as there called in the underdeveloped parts of the`Globe` like Portland. a crock-pot http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-crock-pot.htm

The best of Good Luck to you both
Vic

For those like me that have space challenged kitchens you CAN use a plan old pot and an electric stove top or any oven. Granny showed me this trick while lambasting my mother's cooking. She did it with a grill and charcoal, but I, being the lazy person that I am, tried to do it without the grill.

The trick is to rediscover the lower numbers on your cooking appliance. For oven work 125 -250 will provide you with low, med and high. If you are forced to a stove top try to use a double boiler and again the trick is the 1-4 settings. Be very careful not to let your pot go dry or you will be investing in new cookware.

For the more adventurous among the crowd, consider the alternative OUTDOOR crock pot method. Go to a sporting goods or camping store and ask for a cast iron dutch oven (it will have a lid and legs on the lid and the base)(you can sometimes find these at Walmart). Get 2 bags of charcoal. For each level (low, med, high) you will need 8 briquettes, 4 for the top and 4 for the bottom. Now start your first levels worth of briquettes and once there is no black left on the piece it is ready for use. Carefully arrange your coals to distribute heat evenly on the top AND bottom. Every 15 minutes turn the bottom 90deg clockwise and the top 90deg counter clockwise (the top should be in the same position when you are done). When you move the top give the coals a quick blow to see when they are down to 25% of their original size. When that happens you need to start your next batch of coals.

Which tastes better? Wock and I will probably start a war over the traditional dutch oven approach. My wife prefers the northern dedicated crock pot device method. My kids claim the best flavors are from the low temp oven. They just don't understand WHY ashes should taste better.

Easy of use goes to the crock pot, then the oven. My poor cast iron requires a significant amount of effort and dedication. Historically it also required about 12 guys. The way it was explained to my by my aunt is that 12 men provides the critical mass required to remember anything important. Her theory is that at least one of them would need a beer in fifteen minutes and would see the pot while obtaining said beer. Typically the man mistook pot for cooler and hilarity ensued.

The whole point of this rambling post is that a "crock pot" is the way things have been good for centuries. Don't be limited by the cheap things at Walmart, Target or whatever discount store you find them in. It is the method that allows them to turn road kill into gourmet meals.

If you need/want some recipes let me know. We make a mean sweet yam and onions, basalmic vinegar chicken, breakfast casserole and corn bread. The chocolate cake did not turn out so well so i won't share that one. And the fam has forbidden me to share the baked been recipe.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage