Who can cook?

ptram
Platform: Mac

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:00 pm Post

Mesdames et messiers,

If I understand right, most of us are spending most of their time in coffee shops and restaurants, and very little time at home preparing some fine meal.

I appreciate good food, but cannot cook myself. Living next door to my mother, who is a great cook, I've never learned how to even add the right amount of salt in the pasta.

Some of my colleagues find cooking a very relaxing activity. I feel the same, each time I try to pois... er, prepare something in the kitchen. I must do it more, since it makes good also for my work (and mental sanity, if not my stomach...).

What about you? Which is the home where it is advisable to arrange that Scrivener Dinner?

Paolo

ma
mamster

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:36 pm Post

I wrote a cookbook in Scrivener--well, not a cookbook exactly, but a nonfiction book with 40 recipes. (I will hype it after I turn in the manuscript.) So hopefully I can cook.

Ma
Matthew Graybosch

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:37 pm Post

I can cook. I started learning how as soon as I got my first apartment. I figured it would be cheaper to make my own meals from scratch than to eat at restaurants or get take-out, and probably healthier than eating frozen meals. I was terrible at first, but I got better quickly.

I bake my own whole-wheat bread. I have an excellent tomato sauce for pasta that uses ground bison (or lean ground beef if I can't get buffalo), and is guaranteed to warm you after a cold day. Even though my wishes I'd stop using the name, she loves my Chernobyl Chicken. She also loves my Agni Burgers, which are oven-baked for half an hour and served on thick slabs of whole wheat bread with cheddar cheese.

I also make a mean pizza. I do the crust myself, and the sauce as well. And I can make an excellent light meal with just some whole wheat pasta, a few chicken breast cutlets, a bit of olive oil, and some spices.
Using Scrivener 1.12 beta on 1st gen MacBook (Lilywhite Lilith)
"Arioch! Arioch! Hookers and blow for my lord Arioch!"

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:06 pm Post

I`m of to the kitchen, after I posted this, to make a chocolate praline cake, for my daughter`s Birthday on Monday. It`s actually the prototype for an idea I`ve got.

I`ve been cooking since my mid-teens, so I have no fear of tackling any recipe, from anywhere in the world. I could say I`m a very good cook, but, if I`m being honest, at least where cooking is concerned, I`m actually very good at following well written instructions, in good cookbooks.

Since developing ME, in 1999 cooking was the one thing I could get my head around without to much bother. In that respect of course, I`ve used it as a kind of therapy.

The secret of being a good cook, is to make sure your guests are so bloody hungry, they`ll eat anything :wink:

Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Ma
Matthew Graybosch

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:44 pm Post

vic-k wrote:The secret of being a good cook, is to make sure your guests are so bloody hungry, they`ll eat anything :wink:

Get 'em drunk enough, and they won't care if you serve 'em shit on a shingle.

vic-k

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:04 am Post

http://home.att.net/~magnoliaholidays/pralines.html

Looks like a dogs dinner, but tastes and smells bloody gorgeous.
I don`t recommend praline for icing cakes. Best used for the praline pecan candies.

Take care
vic
Attachments
MyPicture.jpg
MyPicture.jpg (96.91 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

antony

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:39 am Post

I'd love to know who these writers are that can afford to sit in coffee shops all day and eat in restaurants every night...

Yes, I can cook. Like Matthew, I learned as soon as I lived on my own. Nothing will teach you to cook faster than making terrible food, but being too poor to eat out ;)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

Jaysen

Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:19 am Post

vic-k wrote:I could say I`m a very good cook, but, if I`m being honest, at least where cooking is concerned, I`m actually very good at following well written instructions, in good cookbooks.

I wonder if Wock ever wrote and pigeon focused recipe books?

:twisted:
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

vic-k

Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:37 am Post

d` y` mean, as in `stir fried....Wock`...heee!...hee!..he! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It`s only 10.30am on a Sunday morning, but, the old sense of humour, is as razor sharp and blisteringly fast as ever....is there no limit to it....?8)

vic

ka
karen

Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:22 pm Post

Vic -

ME sucks. I've had it 17 years.

I enjoy your posts to the forum. Thanks for making me laugh!

Take care of yourself,

Karen

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:28 pm Post

Vic and Karen, do you mean ME as in ME/CFS. Had a diagnosis of CFS in 1993. I no longer have the condition but it really trashed my life for about 13 years. It's one reason I was an 'older' student who recently finished her Ph.D.! You are right. It sucks. You are also right that Vic is funny. Sometimes a bit TOO funny....:wink:

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

Ma
Matthew Graybosch

Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:38 pm Post

antony wrote:Yes, I can cook. Like Matthew, I learned as soon as I lived on my own. Nothing will teach you to cook faster than making terrible food, but being too poor to eat out ;)

Well, I had a stash of Army surplus MREs to fall back on if I screwed up, but MREs have something in common with their intended audience: they don't have an exit strategy.

Wock

Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:02 pm Post

My wife can cook. Man she cooks all kinds of things I have never seen on a plate yet each thing is quite tasty and actually good for ya.

Myself I can cook three things well.

I can make a chili so hot I call it Hell's Fire and Damnation. Take paint of a car if it set too long. Plenty of jalapeños and Cayenne pepper. ANyone who eats looks as if they had been watching the Lifetime channel, cry me a river :-) from the tears that flow.

I can make "Dirty eggs" so good your arteries start shaking and you bleed brown gravy.

And sometimes on a rare occasion I cook "Mustard Plasters" which looks and sounds disgusting but is one of the best steaks you will ever sink your teeth into because it involves science! lol

I had a friend of mine who was going to chef school or something fancy like that and I served him a Mustard Plaster Steak and he loved it so much he wanted to have that on his menu once he opens his restaurant.

So if ye ever get a chance to experiment I suggest cooking a mustard plaster but only if you have an open flame (campfire or charcoal with oak cinders mixed in the charcoal). You can cook it on a gas grill as well. But remember it does involve a little extra cleanup.

:-)
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:29 pm Post

In the interest of full disclosure:*

Ajvar • Asparagus, Grilled w/ Caper-Champagne Vinaigrette • Bananas Foster Simulacra • Black Beans & Yellow Rice • Brittle, Pumpkin Seed • Bruschetta al Pomodoro • Burgers, Walnut • Buttermilk Pancakes • Butternut Squash Balsamico • Cake, Spiced Nectarine • Call of the Wild Chowder • Carrots, Cinnamon-Spiced • Carrots, Cumin-Spiced • Carrots, Transcendental • Chai Chai Chai • Chai Sahni • Cheesecake Devizes • Chicken Apricot w/ Almonds • Chicken Broth Vitalizer • Chicken, Capering • Chicken, Cacciatora • Chicken Cordon Bleu • Chicken Diane • Chicken Marsala • Chicken, Olive Green • Chicken Pot Pie • Chicken Scaloppine • Chicken Shiitake Cakes • Chicken in Mustard Dill • Chicken in Tomato-Saffron Vinaigrette • Chili, Green Black Bean • Chili Kielbasa • Chili, Three Bean • Chinese Chicken-Broccoli • Chocolate, Bittersweet on Baguette w/ Sea Salt • Cinnamon Twists • Cookies, Ranger • Cookies, Sugar • Cream of Fungal Soup • Cream of Tuna • Creme Fraiche Simulacra • Cucumber & Yoghurt Salad • Dum Aloo • Fajita Beans & Rice • Figs in Red Wine • Fried Vic • Grapefruit, Broiled Spiced • Granita, Strawberry-Balsamic • Hot Chocolate Francais • Ice Cream, Strawberry • Kali Dal • Macaroons, Coconut • Mughal Garam Masala • Mushrooms, Wild Saute • Paella Valenciana • Panna Cotta • Parsnip Crisps • Pasta Arugula • Pasta Cannellini w/ Peppers • Pasta Pecorino & Pepper • Pasta, Pomodori alla Modo Fresco • Pasta, Tex-Mex • Pasta, Thousand Herb • Pasta, Truffled Wild Mushroom • Pasto Ragazzo • Patatas Bravas • Peppers, Roasted • Pie, Apple Pastis Quick • Pie, Cherry-Rhubarb • Pie, Brandy-Plum • Pie, Perfect Blue • Pie, Unimpeachable • Pizza, Basic Mushroom • Pizza Dough Giada • Pizza Margherita • Pomegranate Sauce, Ah-Ping • Portabellos Stuffed Ah-Ping • Potatoes, Devil-Roasted • Potatoes, Hashed Browns • Potatoes, Mashed Ultimate • Potatoes, Roasted • Potatoes, Twice-Baked • Quattro Fromaggi • Quiche, Smoked Tomato-Basil • Raspberry Puree • Red Peppers, Balsamic • Red Peppers, Tasty Sauteed • Rice, Spanish Salad • Rolls, Refrigerator • Romaine, Panfried Hearts of • Sauce, Hopped-Up Tomato Basil • Sauce, Quattro Fromaggi • Sausage, Turkey • Scriv Word Salad • Shallot Confit, Roasted • Shiitake Teriyaki Mushrooms • Soup, Gazpacho Andaluz • Soup, Mexican Cheese • Soup, Potato, Cream of • Soup, Tomato, Roasted • Tomato-Olive Relish • Tomatoes Roasted Masala • Trés Leches • Turkey Picadillo • Tuna & White Bean Salad • Vegetable Patties with Chutney • Vegetables, Root with Calvados • Vinaigrette, Caper Champagne • Warm Spring Vegetable • Wine-Roasted Shallots • Whatever •

*I have here held back on one recipe which is so incredible that not even the name of it can be revealed. That is for your safety not mine.

vic-k

Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:09 pm Post

Gr,

can y` make egg and chips :?

I wonder what a plate of Fried Vic, with a Scriv Word Salad on the side tastes like! ughhh!! I think it would take: a pretty jaded; jaundiced; undiscerning; uneducated and decidedly unsophisticated palate to apreciate it. I think I`d pass on that one.

Take care

Fried Vic :lol: