When did Apple become the new Microsoft?

User avatar
Eldritch
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 am
Platform: Mac
Location: Wales, UK.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:57 pm Post

I’ve been out of touch for a while. Sticking with Snow Leopard, which has treated me admirably, until recently when I had to update due to most internet apps no longer supporting it. So, new mac, new operating system and lo and behold what a nightmare. Wifi that doesn’t work, iTunes that is a total mess and has major redraw problems, folders that open showing nothing for ages, automatic text fills that you can’t counteract, cloud syncs that take up your entire cpu. What’s worse looking into these things all the problems were well known to Apple in beta but they went and released it anyway. Wow, I am well and truly shocked. Pfff...

PS... Vic, Hi, Sorry to hear about your local.
When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand.
--Raymond Chandler

User avatar
Jaysen
Posts: 6216
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:00 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: East-Be-Jesus-Nowhere SC, USA

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:49 pm Post

This is not "new" just more obvious as they try to cater to a wider base. And really, this is the inevitable outcome of popular adoption of any product. It becomes overly complicated as the supplier tries to add more feature/function and continue to grow customers.

One could even look at the various versions of scrivener and see the same trend. I think L&L has managed the feature/function adoption quite well, but you have to remember that scrivener is much simpler than OSX.

Anyhoo...
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Image

User avatar
vic-k
Posts: 7135
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:23 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:05 pm Post

Eldritch wrote:I’ve been out of touch for a while. Sticking with Snow Leopard, which has treated me admirably, until recently when I had to update due to most internet apps no longer supporting it. So, new mac, new operating system and lo and behold what a nightmare. Wifi that doesn’t work, iTunes that is a total mess and has major redraw problems, folders that open showing nothing for ages, automatic text fills that you can’t counteract, cloud syncs that take up your entire cpu. What’s worse looking into these things all the problems were well known to Apple in beta but they went and released it anyway. Wow, I am well and truly shocked. Pfff...
I think It’s what we are supposed to accept as progress, mate. But, like Harry Stottle was once overheard muttering into his all but empty pint of Guinness, in the RED LION’s Académie Pour le Débat Philosophique annexe, the Snug, “Funny ol’ word, progress, init ... eh?” True enough I suppose, especially when you consider, its use invariably, but erroneously in many cases, carries with it positive connotations. I don’t doubt for a second, that Hannibal’s mates, the Generals back in Carthage, considered reports of Han’s progress back-n-forth across mid and southern Europe, ca 200 bc +/-, in a very, very positive light. However, I doubt that the poor buggers that Han and his elephants were trampling underfoot, saw anything positive in the progress he was making. ’s all relative, init mate?

Eldritch wrote:PS... Vic, Hi, Sorry to hear about your local.


Thanks mate. At the time, it was considered by most decent right thinking folk, as a totally reprehensible example of ‘Unregulated, capitalistic free-trade hegemonistic abuse’ ... cocking a snook at the very wealth creators that those capitalistic bastards rely on to get rich, the proletariat!
But, as is often the case, from the metaphorical ashes of the RED LION. rose the phoenix of the monolithic global KiWCS Design, Manufacture, and Marketing Logistical Network. Not only that, I may add, alongside KDMMLN, indirectly associated with, but in no way tied or shackled to it, we now have the new College of Domination and Bondage ... Patron: Princess Lucinda, http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... my-8436046

and also, The European Headquarters of the Confederation of Dominatrix Collectives and Swingers Associations. Of which the lovely Belinda Balloons, is the President and CEO

Anyway mate, how are things in Cheltenham and Wales?

And don't f'get, 'Don't let Apple grind y' down' :wink:
Vic
Last edited by vic-k on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

User avatar
vic-k
Posts: 7135
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:23 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:20 pm Post

Jaysen wrote: overly complicated as the supplier tries to add more feature/function and continue to grow customers.
But surely Numpt, If what Eldrich says is true, they're only going to piss customer off? We won't bother asking if their actions are ethical. :(

Eldritch wrote:What’s worse looking into these things all the problems were well known to Apple in beta but they went and released it anyway.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

User avatar
Eldritch
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 am
Platform: Mac
Location: Wales, UK.

Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:09 pm Post

When I connected up my new Mac I was looking forward to better wifi as the wifi type had been upgraded since my 2009 Mac. But on starting up said new Mac the wifi wouldn't work at all. Looking it up, via my phone, it said most wifi issues had been sorted in version 10.10.3 but to upgrade I needed wifi... well, maybe not but it would have saved me having to lug my computer downstairs and connect it via cable. So having disconnected it, lugged it down, upgraded it, taken it back up and reconnected it it kinda works but drops out a lot. Looking in to this I found out it was due to a bug in 'discoveryd', Yosemite's new networking manager. This bug was reported to Apple many times, during beta, as a huge concern due to its reliability issues. The upshot is it is now to be replaced, in the upcoming 10.10.4 update, by what Apple were using before, the mDNSResponder. If they knew it was such a problem why not keep the original network manager in place while they debugged the new one?
Then there's the issues with folders not opening and revealing their contents instantly. Again well known, with a simple fix of deleting 'cloud' caches? :shock: I don't use the cloud so why it is affecting my UI is beyond me. But since this was happening on day one a buggy cache did not impress me. The redraw issue in iTunes is driving me bonkers and looks a right mess. But hey, if this is progress, who am I to stand in its way? I don't want to be trampled underfoot by the elephant in the room which is currently my new Mac.
Oh, and to top it all off, today My Brother asked me to help him import 5000 photos onto his new macbook air. I thought no problem. It'll be a breeze with iPhotos. Hmmm Seems Apple no longer want me to use iPhoto. Instead they suggest I use photos. OK. Having dragged the 5000 photos on and waited an hour or so it informed me 3000 of the photos hadn't been imported because they contained no metadata. :shock: A quick Google search told me Photos is buggy. :x As such it is safer to import small batches of around 200 to 300 photos at a time. Low and behold Photos managed to import each and every photo with no metadata issues. Haha progress. :roll:
When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand.
--Raymond Chandler

User avatar
Eldritch
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 am
Platform: Mac
Location: Wales, UK.

Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:22 pm Post

Wow Vic, I am very impressed, your very own local College of Domination and Bondage. :shock: The locals around here are far too snooty to allow such things. I am almost jealous. Have you ever considered asking them if they could cater to your fetish of being served beer on a regular basis?
My local was also closed and sold off. All we got in return was an empty house conversion that's now been on the market for the last two years. More of that there progress I reckon.
When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand.
--Raymond Chandler

User avatar
vic-k
Posts: 7135
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:23 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:42 am Post

Eldritch wrote: served beer on a regular basis?
:? 'A regular basis'? Never heard of that one. Sounds kinky though :twisted: Is it a contraption like a medieval rackImageor one of these ImageProbably have t' suck y' beer through a straw, won't y'?
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

User avatar
vic-k
Posts: 7135
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:23 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:06 am Post

Anyway, enough of the serious stuff :roll: , but to get back to the frivolous stuff.
Eldritch wrote:When I connected up my new Mac I was looking forward to better wifi as the wifi type had been upgraded since my 2009 Mac. But on starting up said new Mac the wifi wouldn't work at all. Looking it up, via my phone, it said most wifi issues had been sorted in version 10.10.3 but to upgrade I needed wifi... well, maybe not but it would have saved me having to lug my computer downstairs and connect it via cable. So having disconnected it, lugged it down, upgraded it, taken it back up and reconnected it it kinda works but drops out a lot. Looking in to this I found out it was due to a bug in 'discoveryd', Yosemite's new networking manager. This bug was reported to Apple many times, during beta, as a huge concern due to its reliability issues. The upshot is it is now to be replaced, in the upcoming 10.10.4 update, by what Apple were using before, the mDNSResponder. If they knew it was such a problem why not keep the original network manager in place while they debugged the new one?
Then there's the issues with folders not opening and revealing their contents instantly. Again well known, with a simple fix of deleting 'cloud' caches? :shock: I don't use the cloud so why it is affecting my UI is beyond me. But since this was happening on day one a buggy cache did not impress me. The redraw issue in iTunes is driving me bonkers and looks a right mess. But hey, if this is progress, who am I to stand in its way? I don't want to be trampled underfoot by the elephant in the room which is currently my new Mac.
Oh, and to top it all off, today My Brother asked me to help him import 5000 photos onto his new macbook air. I thought no problem. It'll be a breeze with iPhotos. Hmmm Seems Apple no longer want me to use iPhoto. Instead they suggest I use photos. OK. Having dragged the 5000 photos on and waited an hour or so it informed me 3000 of the photos hadn't been imported because they contained no metadata. :shock: A quick Google search told me Photos is buggy. :x As such it is safer to import small batches of around 200 to 300 photos at a time. Low and behold Photos managed to import each and every photo with no metadata issues. Haha progress. :roll:

D' y' remember all those daft argument with Microsoft users, y used to have, "Well wot's so ****ing good about Apple then … c' mon tell us, smartarse … go on, tell us!
All you could think of was, 'Err … well .. y' boot up, and it just … works." Those were the days … eh?
Ahh well. C'est la vie :(
Good luck with the new Mac. I'm sticking with Mountain Lion
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

User avatar
nom
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:02 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:03 pm Post

Eldritch wrote:I’ve been out of touch for a while. Sticking with Snow Leopard, which has treated me admirably, until recently when I had to update due to most internet apps no longer supporting it. So, new mac, new operating system and lo and behold what a nightmare. Wifi that doesn’t work, iTunes that is a total mess and has major redraw problems, folders that open showing nothing for ages, automatic text fills that you can’t counteract, cloud syncs that take up your entire cpu. What’s worse looking into these things all the problems were well known to Apple in beta but they went and released it anyway. Wow, I am well and truly shocked. Pfff...

PS... Vic, Hi, Sorry to hear about your local.



Ahh... Snow Leopard. Those were the days. Most stable OS since... er... Atari Basic? :oops:
Actually, I do think Snow Leopard was the most stable Mac OS I've used. Although, overall, I like Yosemite, stability is not its strong point. I haven't read much about El Capitan, but it has to be better than Yosemite*.

As for wifi, here's a tip to get it working without trudging downstairs or resorting to the Terminal: simply turn wifi off and on again (right click on the wifi signal in the menu bar).

*Although, to be fair to Apple, I installed a second copy of Yosemite on another partition and it works flawlessly.
Complete and utter NOMsense.
Image

User avatar
vic-k
Posts: 7135
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:23 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:30 pm Post

Why oh why, don't Apple take a leaf out of young Kevin Blount's books, at L&L. "YOU DON"T GET IT … TILL WE"VE GOT IT!! RIGHT, THEN YOU CAN HAVE IT" :wink: 8) :roll:

Best
KEV
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4178
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:31 pm Post

When I first upgraded to Yosemite, it was extremely slow on shutdown, strangely, but it has always been stable. I did a complete clean install, as all the other OS upgrades on this late 2010 MBA had simply been done over existing installations and I reckoned there must have been a lot of cruft built up. Since I did that, it has been extremely stable, and very fast in booting and shutting down.

Mind you, I do run Cocktail over it almost every weekend to keep the system clean; my desktop is absolutely minimal with nothing on it apart from the menu bar and the desktop photos — I have 3 virtual desktops running all the time — and my dock only has the apps that are actually running and the trash — the finder is an app, of course, so that's always there. And I have transparency turned off, though the dock is hidden on the right.

And the only problems I have had with wifi is when Virgin Cable is having problems!

So I'm surprised you have had such trouble with it on a new machine. Mind you, I haven't tried to import 5000 photos into Photo.app; most of mine are stored elsewhere, but the ones in iPhoto transferred without problem.

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

User avatar
Eldritch
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 am
Platform: Mac
Location: Wales, UK.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:32 pm Post

Nom, my issue was not intermittent wifi it was the wifi not working at all. It just didn't have the ability to connect. Turning it off and on had no affect, The darned thing just couldn't connect straight out of the box it had to be upgraded first. :? I'm a seasoned Mac user having been using them since 1985 so tried all the usual tricks but no joy.

nom wrote:Ahh... Snow Leopard. Those were the days. Most stable OS since... er... Atari Basic? :oops:
Actually, I do think Snow Leopard was the most stable Mac OS I've used. [/size]


I love Snow Leopard. I'm now using it for a media centre. I did a clean install and forgot it came with iTunes 8. Wow, how clean, lean and stunning iTunes was back then. Certainly not upgrading it. Works far better than 12. And yes, as for stability, I used an app that stripped out all the PowerPC coding and all the extra language packs. Having done that I can honestly say I probably had no more than 5 or 6 crashes since 2009.

vic-k wrote:
Eldritch wrote: served beer on a regular basis?
:? 'A regular basis'? Never heard of that one. Sounds kinky though :twisted: Is it a contraption like a medieval rack


Actually, Vic, I was more thinking
Image
When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand.
--Raymond Chandler

User avatar
vic-k
Posts: 7135
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:23 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:51 pm Post

Eldritch wrote:Actually, Vic, I was more thinkingImage

YEAH MAMMA!! :twisted: I can run wi' tha' one …wot! :wink:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

User avatar
Eldritch
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 am
Platform: Mac
Location: Wales, UK.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:55 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:So I'm surprised you have had such trouble with it on a new machine. Mind you, I haven't tried to import 5000 photos into Photo.app; most of mine are stored elsewhere, but the ones in iPhoto transferred without problem.


I bought the high end mac mini due to Apple's decision to now solder in the RAM :roll: so you can't upgrade. So yes, I was a little surprised myself, to say the least. I'm loving the new speed but have to say the experience is being somewhat soured by these bugs. At least Apple have finally realised they've ballsed up on the wifi and will be going back to the old manager till they can sort out the bugs. And I also never had issues with iPhoto but I guess Photos is more integral with their iOS. Not that that's much use to me but I'm not going to get into why I have now dropped iPhones and made the switch to Android. :lol:
When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand.
--Raymond Chandler

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4178
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:12 pm Post

Eldritch wrote:… So yes, I was a little surprised myself, to say the least. I'm loving the new speed but have to say the experience is being somewhat soured by these bugs. At least Apple have finally realised they've ballsed up on the wifi and will be going back to the old manager till they can sort out the bugs.

Funny that ... since I haven't had any wifi problems, so didn't know they'd changed anything and haven't experienced any bugs with that. And my 17" late 2011 MBP, has had no problems, and I didn't clean-install on that, or on my wife's refurbed 27" iMac which came with 10.9.

Eldritch wrote:And I also never had issues with iPhoto but I guess Photos is more integral with their iOS. Not that that's much use to me but I'm not going to get into why I have now dropped iPhones and made the switch to Android. :lol:

I put my photos automatically on Dropbox, then move them onto an external disk at the end of each year. Any editing I do in Graphic Converter — I've been using Macs since about 1990, and except for the year of Adobe CS1, I've always used Graphic Converter — I have never been able to afford the Adobe upgrade costs; I'd love to use Lightroom, which I used when it was first launched, but have been deterred by upgrade costs since. Graphic Converter ... brilliant program, I paid the $35 it cost back in 1990 or 1991, and have had to pay an upgrade fee only once or twice since then, and always very low price. There are one or two things I sometimes use Pixelmator for, though, but its rare. Basically, I use Photos only to make them accessible to WeChat to send to friends, and of course if I take a photo with my iPhone, it goes straight to Photos.

As for an Android phone ... I bought one (Lenovo) in China last year, when my iPhone crashed completely. God, did it drive me mad! I absolutely hated it!

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …