Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:46 pm Post

You'd think.

But then thinking is on the list of dis-qualifiers.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:02 pm Post

Cut Sin (young-n'), some slack, numpty.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:31 am Post

Jaysen wrote:
nom wrote:Congrats!
Back of the envelope estimate of the amount of time that represents? :wink:

Actually, no. Don't do that. It might lead to some unfavourable estimates for those Jaysen so euphemistically termed "less useful"... :oops:

Did you read piggy's post you fluff monster?

5.15/d over 8y

With all due respect, Oh Headless One, 5.15 posts per day is an estimate of frequency not duration. If each post only took, say, 10 seconds then the duration would be close to 42 hours. However I doubt there are many 10 second posts amongst the 15,000.

Kind regards,
The FluffMeister
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Jaysen

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:12 pm Post

nom wrote:
Jaysen wrote:
nom wrote:Congrats!
Back of the envelope estimate of the amount of time that represents? :wink:

Actually, no. Don't do that. It might lead to some unfavourable estimates for those Jaysen so euphemistically termed "less useful"... :oops:

Did you read piggy's post you fluff monster?

5.15/d over 8y

With all due respect, Oh Headless One, 5.15 posts per day is an estimate of frequency not duration. If each post only took, say, 10 seconds then the duration would be close to 42 hours. However I doubt there are many 10 second posts amongst the 15,000.

Kind regards,
The FluffMeister

Here's a bone... go gnaw on it a bit...

Duration for effort is 8y. You are looking for duration OF effort. I would suggest to you that the LOE (DoE is interchangeable but slightly different) would average out to the 10 second realm IF Ioa-iffer is the machine we are all believe he is. Keep in mind a machine has OFFICIALLY passed Turning and I'll be unsurprised when it is revealed that Ioa is the first generation of super Turning-capable-bots produced by someone as yet unknown.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:25 pm Post

I think the turning test was passed with steam locomotions. The Turing test, however, I believe is still considered by scientists to be undefeated, no matter what "tech" journalists are saying.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Jaysen

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:18 pm Post

pigfender wrote:I think the turning test was passed with steam locomotions. The Turing test, however, I believe is still considered by scientists to be undefeated, no matter what "tech" journalists are saying.

Stop noticing my spelling issues.

I don't think "scientists" get to decide as much as the test team gets to make that decision. The reports here (internal) seem to conclude that the machine passed the test, but made other errors outside the test. I'm not sure if the data is under an NDA but I was denied access to the R&D copy. something about "we know you're just going to go tell folks about it..."

I just had a thought. I wonder if I would pass a turing? or Vic-k? Wock is on shaky ground already....
Jaysen

ImageImage

pigfender

Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:53 pm Post

Given that the test team included the likes of the guy who played Kryten in Red Dwarf... I'm probably good with that.
Image Image

Jaysen

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:14 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Given that the test team included the likes of the guy who played Kryten in Red Dwarf... I'm probably good with that.

I miss that show. I haven't seen an episode in ... years. This makes the Mrs happy, but I quite enjoyed it.

That and "Are You Being Served".

Oh the shows of yesteryear...
Jaysen

ImageImage

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:02 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:I wonder if I would pass a turing? or Vic-k?
:? I don't have a test that you could fail.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Wock

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:37 am Post

The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:02 pm Post

Unless there is a whole lot of additional information that hasn't been released, then I don't care what the "scientists" involved say - the scientists that I've read who reviewed what has been released were distinctly unimpressed with claims that the Turing test was passed. That it was an impressive piece of coding? Possibly. That it passed the Turing test? Only if you interpret the Turing test in ways that make it easier to pass and hence nullify the test itself.

After reading the concerns they aired, I share their scepticism. I'm not impressed with a Turing test that involves a computer pretending to be a non-English speaking child with poor keyboard skills interacting in broken English via text. It might say something, but I'm not convinced that it counts as a full Turing test even if a third of the assessors didn't pick up that it was a computer. In fact, the quotes that I saw* compared rather unfavourably (I'm being polite) to the 1960s Eliza, which led me to question if all the assessors were human - but then it started getting a bit too meta, even for me.

I doubt they're aware of Ioa/AmberV, but if AmberV were included in their assessment then I suspect that AmberV might get extra credit.

*Although, to the fictional Eugene Goostman's credit, they were old transcripts** not from the current "test", and most reports agree that "he" has improved markedly.
**Then again, the fact that they have not released the transcripts from the most recent "test" does not bode well. Instead Professor Warwick says they are holding them back for "academic papers" and will only say that it is "most likely" include the human transcripts for comparison. Hmm, strange ideas about science, openness, replicability and planned experiments (they don't even know how they are going to present the data, even though the human comparisons are integral to the entire test?). Rating on the dodgy scale just increased into the red zone.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:13 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
pigfender wrote:Given that the test team included the likes of the guy who played Kryten in Red Dwarf... .

I miss that show. I haven't seen an episode in ... years.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/09/ ... %E2%80%8F/
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

Jaysen

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:02 pm Post

nom wrote:I'm not impressed with a Turing test that involves a computer pretending to be a non-English speaking child with poor keyboard skills interacting in broken English via text
so basically the fact that a "learning system" was able to learn enough to simulate 75% of the internet population isn't passing the turing test...

I guess the question of passing is predicated on what our definition of human interaction in a given medium is expected to be. If the test was state as "convince us that these txts come from a human", then my wife would fail. Heck, 3/4 of the time I have to call her to ask her what her last txt was. And she is a <redacted> year old 9th generation American. Same is true of my mother (using an iPhone) and in laws (on droids).

My point is that academics forget about the real world too often. I think the test committee may have actually applied the following question to determine the "pass" for this test:
supposition wrote:Would this fool a normal person?

If they answered "yes" then it passed the test legitimately in my opinion.

Which means we are doomed on many different levels...
Jaysen

ImageImage

pigfender

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:21 pm Post

Jaysen wrote: she is a <redacted> year old 9th generation American. Same is true of my mother

You married a woman the same age as your mother?
Image Image

Jaysen

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:24 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
Jaysen wrote: she is a <redacted> year old 9th generation American. Same is true of my mother

You married a woman the same age as your mother?

Only you and vic-k would have gone in that direction...

Thank you for proving my point about the terrible state of "written" communications in the modern world.
Jaysen

ImageImage