Hi

kl
klcorridon
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:02 pm Post

P.S. The student union building at the University of Oregon is the Erb Memorial Union, commonly referred to in Eugene as the Emu.
I may be an Idiot, but I'm no Fool...
For Maura, 4/7/59-11/21/09... My Muse, my Heroine, my Editor, my Patron. All that I have achieved as a writer is because of her.

Gr
Graybyrd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:50 pm Post

Ayup ... you guys done frightened her away! Last word heard is that Anna went and hunkered down in a cave in lower Tierra del Fuego. That toothy-grin bird was entirely too much!
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:37 pm Post

Graybyrd wrote:Ayup ... you guys done frightened her away! Last word heard is that Anna went and hunkered down in a cave in lower Tierra del Fuego. That toothy-grin bird was entirely too much!

:oops:
Sorry Anna... please come back.

Sadly, this thread really is an example of how I think. Flipping through my various journals and notebooks (both paper and electronic) I have all sorts of things. There are snippets of absurd whimsy that make this thread seem logical; examples of free writing that are simply... odd; there are children's stories ranging from simple to attempts at profound (e.g. an allegory of life and death in a story about a leaf); humour; short stories of love dragons and unicorns (actually, that was just one story); religion; broken hearts; poetry—mostly bad, sometimes worse (limericks), occasionally approaching readable; ruminations on the physics of magic; philosophical discussions of the nature of evil in narrative; reflections on my own character as expressed through my thoughts, hopes and dreams (and loves, and losses, and inconsolable griefs) and then the same for many of the characters I have developed; snippets of a tragic undergraduate love story that formed the basis of my current work in progress. And there are lots and lots of pieces describing whatever I could see, hear, smell and feel from whatever place I was writing (many of which later became snippets of my work in progress).

So, I value:
• writing (I'm even trialling incorporating writing practice into my daily meditation routine)
• ideas - which requires knowledge of things, theories and people, which requires...
• reading - I love novels, but in the last few years have read very few. However, I have read more academic journal articles, text books and monographs than I care to consider. These enable to "read" in different ways than I could previously. I might also include viewing art and drama as "reading", at least for the purposes of this post.
• play - it is in play that ideas emerge, form, are modified, tested and either adopted, adapted, or put aside. Whether or not it is called play is another matter, but the underlying principles are essential. My wife is an artist and we occasionally discuss the importance of being able to mess up: If you don't have permission to make a mistake, then you can't experiment and try new things. This, to my mind, is the essence of play. Without play, all you can do is regurgitate prior ideas or mechanically extrapolate them (hello the Hollywood sequel).
• discipline. Discipline develops the skills needed shape the ideas that form during play into something coherent and worthwhile; discipline also maintains the concerted, repeated, effort required to apply those skills long enough to shape a finished product. Without discipline, you get... well, many of the responses in this thread*. :wink:

*But sometimes it's good to play with friends
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:40 pm Post

nom wrote:Without discipline, you get... well, many of the responses in this thread*. :wink:

*But sometimes it's good to play with friends

Hey... Hey... Don't pick on vic-k that way...
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:57 pm Post

Well, all I have to say is, I did warn anna about you lot. She has probably taken one look at the stuff you've posted, and thought to herself, "Vic's right. They're nothing but a bunch of feckless mountebanks!"

Ah well... c'est la vie. :(
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

pink

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:39 pm Post

What did you expect was going to happen when the first person the poor woman bumped into was Vic?

Never mind the rest of you!
Now writing: random bloggy stuff

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:44 pm Post

I want to hear more about Nom's love dragon.
No, wait. On second thoughts...
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Jaysen

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:07 pm Post

pigfender wrote:I want to hear more about Nom's love dragon.
No, wait. On second thoughts...

no no no

It is likely breathing fire...

That's bad. for nom.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

vic-k

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:30 pm Post

pink wrote:What did you expect was going to happen when the first person the poor woman bumped into was Vic?

Cheeky girl :twisted:

]nom wrote:short stories of love dragons and unicorns
This guy's a friggin' weirdo!! :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

nom

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:19 pm Post

So I dropped a comma. Sue me. :evil:

:wink:
(I had a longer response, including details about the origins of the Dragon of Dorr and his connections with my love of storytelling, but I lost my internet connection just as posted and lost it all. It was a great story though. A great story. <sigh>)

Jaysen

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:26 pm Post

nom wrote:So I dropped a comma. Sue me. :evil:

More vic-k style missing the comma…
Jaysen

ImageImage

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:11 pm Post

nom wrote:(I had a longer response, including details about the origins of the Dragon of Dorr and his connections with my love of storytelling, but I lost my internet connection just as posted and lost it all. It was a great story though. A great story. <sigh>)

Bit of “the one that got away” there! “It was that long, I promise you!” Does it get longer each time you think of it?

:twisted:

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

nom

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:19 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
nom wrote:So I dropped a comma. Sue me. :evil:

More vic-k style missing the comma…

In the words of the man himself... pffffrrrtttt!!!

xiamenese wrote:Bit of “the one that got away” there! “It was that long, I promise you!” Does it get longer each time you think of it?

:twisted:

Mr X

pffffrrrtttt to you too!

What was I saying about playing with friends? :roll:

If you must know, in my missing post I described how I wrote a short story in 1988-89 when I was on a bus tour with about 80 other young people aged 18-30. The story was, without giving too much away, about the problems of being a first-born Princess of Labos, an apprentice magician crying in his room, the Dragon of Dorr, true love and unicorns (it was the 80s). Being young and foolish, I showed my story to a friend who then volunteered me to read my tale as a bedtime story to the entire tour. Although there were the initial jokes, sniggers, and heckles, they didn't last; as I read, the entire hall fell still. In the silence, I could feel people engaged with the narrative, hanging on each word to discover "what next?". The story was no masterpiece—it was only a first draft and I was still in my teens—but if a response like that from a group like that isn't enough to kindle a love of creating stories, then nothing will.

P.S. Shorter this time... :wink:

vic-k

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02 pm Post

So wot y’re sayin’ then, is, in your medieval tale of bestiality, a troubled/psychologically warped, Princess from Labos, gets scared ****less, when her regular honky-tonkin partner, a dragon from Dorr, metamorphoses into a pransome hince, just as the earth was about to move for them.

The princess kicked the pransome hince out of the bed, and screamed,
“Gerraway from me y’ ****ing pervert... I detest pransome hinces! Y’re all a bunch of ****ing sickos!” etc., etc..

So is this the genre defying kindda stuff we're talking about here, then... eh? :?

Jaysen

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:40 pm Post

I'm still concerned about your love dragon breathing fire… I think penicillin is the correct treatment.

set up…

vic-k is clearly rubbing off on me.
Jaysen

ImageImage