Trolls

Foxtrot
Platform: Mac

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:52 pm Post

Why does this forum not get any trolls?

Is it so well moderated that they are gone before they can do their stuff? The mods must be very active as there is hardly any spam either

The nearest I have seen to trolling are some of the posts criticising Scrivener but I think they are really genuine misunderstandings of what it is and what it does rather than deliberate wind-ups.

Does Vic-K scare them off?

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:00 pm Post

The question that I believe properly addresses the question is more along the lines of: Are we all just a figment of vic-k's imagination?

Once confronted with that thought, most trolls implode. Which is good. No clean up.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

r6d2

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:55 pm Post

Foxtrot wrote:Why does this forum not get any trolls?

I think this is an interesting question, and I'm inclined to agree with your implicit statement.

I don't have a definitive answer, though. Since most users in this community seem to be writers or aspiring writers, and provided that writers tend to be highly connected with their emotions, and those of the people around them, it may well constitute a case study.
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

Jo
Jordi Mora

Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:27 pm Post

I just assumed that almost everyone here - with the obvious exception of one delusional character a month or so ago - is a grown-up.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:46 pm Post

I think part of the problem is that being off topic is the norm here. I'm pretty sure on any other forum I'd be considered a troll.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Jaysen

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:55 pm Post

pigfender wrote:I think part of the problem is that being off topic is the norm here. I'm pretty sure on any other forum I'd be considered a troll.

you may be a troll on this forum.

See how we did that? Can you really troll a forum that self trolls?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:48 pm Post

Have we so quickly forgotten that all real writers use white text on a blue background like Jerry Pournelle does?
Then again, that might have been wholly in earnest.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:58 pm Post

These aren't my pants.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:59 am Post

Pigfender! I just noticed, I mean really noticed, your sig. 8)

Made my day. :D
Complete and utter NOMsense.

ma
marcoiac

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:09 pm Post

r6d2 wrote:

Since most users in this community seem to be writers or aspiring writers, and provided that writers tend to be highly connected with their emotions, and those of the people around them, it may well constitute a case study.

Yeah, empathy helps :)

But I must confess that the "everyone's off topic here" hypothesis is also appealing. :D

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:02 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Have we so quickly forgotten that all real writers use white text on a blue background like Jerry Pournelle does?
Then again, that might have been wholly in earnest.

And reverse-sinus rinse onto my keyboard with coffee.

That thread was epic in that it contained a parody of the Major General's Song. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10964&start=15#p83921
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Research Folder
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:14 pm Post

Dr Dog wrote:I just assumed that almost everyone here - with the obvious exception of one delusional character a month or so ago - is a grown-up.

I'm not delusional. :( I'm AM special, honest!

kl
klcorridon

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:23 pm Post

Perhaps they fear that the pen (and by extension, the keyboard) is mightier than the sword, but most likely they take one look at vic–k and Wock and conclude that we're just a bunch of nutters unworthy of their time and attention.
I may be an Idiot, but I'm no Fool...
For Maura, 4/7/59-11/21/09... My Muse, my Heroine, my Editor, my Patron. All that I have achieved as a writer is because of her.

Wock

Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:45 am Post

Is it so well moderated that they are gone before they can do their stuff? The mods must be very active as there is hardly any spam either

The nearest I have seen to trolling are some of the posts criticising Scrivener but I think they are really genuine misunderstandings of what it is and what it does rather than deliberate wind-ups.

Does Vic-K scare them off?

The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.