What albums are you currently listening to?

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:06 am Post

'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Mad Girl Disease
Platform: Windows

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:57 am Post

Lead me not into user error.

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:35 pm Post

goatrodeo_e0.jpg
goatrodeo_e0.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 1824 times

Bluegrass with a classical tang.
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

Foxtrot

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:25 pm Post

Hu
Hugh

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:25 pm Post

I imagine Foxtrot you'll be listening to this lot (or their successors) soon:

'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Foxtrot

Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:10 pm Post

Hugh wrote:I imagine Foxtrot you'll be listening to this lot (or their successors) soon:

Hugh, I cannot imagine it will be as awful as that image suggests! Arsene on lead guitar...FFS!!!

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:32 pm Post

Come back TOTP, all is forgiven! :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:32 pm Post

Last week's album cloud.

SarsenLintel

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:11 pm Post

And last week:

SarsenLintel

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:39 pm Post

And for the last week or so:

Mad Girl Disease

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:08 pm Post

SarsenLintel wrote:Image

These collages are nice but I keep expecting to see a bigger version when I click it.

Mad Girl Disease

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:10 pm Post

SarsenLintel

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:14 pm Post

Mad Girl Disease wrote:
SarsenLintel wrote:Image

These collages are nice but I keep expecting to see a bigger version when I click it.

Yeah, that'd be nice, unfortunately that's full size. They're made to fit into a Last.Fm profile sidebar and there's not much room there: http://www.last.fm/user/SarsenLintel

They're automatically produced by the Album Cloud tool here: http://lastfm.dontdrinkandroot.net/

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:51 pm Post

Two or three years ago, whilst becoming acquainted with works of D.H. Thoreau, I chanced across an entry in one of his journals, wherein, he describes his delight at discovering the effect that bright sunlight shining through leaves, has on the underside of those leaves. Almost as though they were illuminated internally. However, his disdain for the dull appearance of the upper surface, if I’m remembering this correctly, was in equal proportion to the delight he felt, when viewing the underside.

Chancing across that particular entry, had a great resonance for me, and the memory has stayed with me ever since, the reason being, that only a few days before, I’d had exactly the same experience.

Within less than arm’s length from where I’m sitting, a wide bay window looks out onto a small gravel covered garden. The only thing growing in the garden, besides three rogue daffodils, is a Magnolia tree. The tree fills the garden, and some of its outer extremities, almost touch the windows. On the day in question, I was sat, as I am now, or was, a short while ago, looking out through the window, at the Magnolia. It was mid afternoon, and the sun, high in the summer sky, was beaming down onto the tree’s leaves. The tree was a mass of brilliant golden yellow leaves (the undersides), as well as, mid to dark green leaves (the upper surfaces). It was a beautiful sight, but unlike Thoreau, I appreciated the effect of the dark surfaces, contrasting, as they did, to great effect with the golden yellows.

As you may gather, My relationship with the Magnolia, is one of ardent admirer and protector. It’s fascinating to watch the gradual changes, that the tree undergoes, with the onset and progression of the different seasons.

I am its protector, because I refuse (frequently), to prune it. I usually promise to do it, “Next year”.

Since midday, today, a gentle rain has fallen. There is no wind or breeze to speak of, and once again the tree has held me in a state of enchantment for an hour or more. As a raindrop hits an uppermost leaf, the leaf shakes/vibrates slightly, and the raindrop rolls off, and falls onto another leaf below, causing a similar reaction and so on and so on, till it falls onto the gravel, twenty feet below the start of its journey in the canopy top.

Of course, there are probably at least a hundred raindrops making the same trip at any given time. Obviously attempting to follow the journey of a single raindrop is an impossibility, but what I discovered today, was, that if you stare into the middle distance, focused on nothing in particular... you can see... every leaf shake as the rain drop falls onto it. The whole tree is shaking before your eyes, with just a slight, hardly noticeable blurriness. Like mainlining on a vision.

It occurred to me, after a while, that some music would be a pleasant addition to the experience. What came instantly to mind, was:
Sam Barber’s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KylMqxLzNGo

Alegri’s Miserere https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RD4l ... lC7V8hG198

and Albinoni’s Adagio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOobwQPD3f0

Better than a flagon of Absinthe&Laudanum
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

PJ
PJS

Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:07 am Post

The blessing on you, lad. Excellent choices. I was — so long ago it seems another lifetime — a classical DJ; Saturdays was Listener Request, and your picks were often asked for by the listeners.

Allegri is often performed with women singers, but was written for a boy soprano, which is how most listeners seemed to like it. Toscanini liked the Barber so well he memorized it as soon as he received a copy, and conducted it often. And Albinoni was the piece played by the Cellist of Sarajevo.
http://someoldguy.wordpress.com/2008/07/23/the-cellist-of-sarajevo/

Phil
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.