Just for fun: "Why Microsoft Word must Die"

Bl
Bluesman
Platform: Windows

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:10 pm Post

Fluff wrote:
Bluesman wrote:What do you do? Just curious.
If I may be allowed a moment of interjection, young MasterBluesman. r6d2, is a sewer rat, I think. He lives closer than most to the Earth's core… or so he claims. Unless he's referring to his sweetheart's heart. :? Must confess, I've never considered it in that light before… hmm… back to the drawing board.
C'est la vie…eh?
Fluff

whoa

uhu
Platform: Mac

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:05 am Post

On Topic:

Microsoft Word killed M$ Word 5.5 for DOS, the best text editor the word has ever seen (before Scrivener).
Therefore it deserves to die. By a horribe death please.
Book on Jugger, download for free –- a real-world post-apocalyptic sport :: twitter :: writing factbooks, novels and SciFi series books with Scrivener

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:50 am Post

uhu wrote:On Topic:
Wot!! :shock: Well young ugh-ugh, if you think you're going to start that back on topic nonsense, we'll set the Moderators on to you!
You've been warned :shock:
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

nom

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:19 am Post

Why Microsoft Word must Die

One word: clippy
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Wock

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:19 pm Post

What is Bloatware?
"software that provides minimal functionality while requiring a disproportionate amount of diskspace and memory. Especially used for application and OS upgrades. This term is very common in the Windows/NT world. So is its cause."
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

r6d2
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:19 am Post

Fluff wrote:[...] r6d2, is a sewer rat, I think.

Oh, my fluffy friend. As much as when the only tool you have is a hammer you see every problem as a nail, perhaps being a cat lover you see everyone else as a rodent. :lol:
Well, I'm not. Also, my more-than-average closeness to the Earth's core is well below any sewer you can think of.
So, you missed twice in a row. Better luck next time :P
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

r6d2

Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:24 am Post

Bluesman wrote:What do you do? Just curious.

I'm an independent consultant, I discovered a few years ago that it was much easier to tell customers what to do than actually doing it for them. :wink:
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

Fluff

Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:44 pm Post

r6d2 wrote:Fluff wrote:
[...] r6d2, is a sewer rat, I think.

Oh, my fluffy friend. As much as when the only tool you have is a hammer you see every problem as a nail, perhaps being a cat lover you see everyone else as a rodent.
Well, I'm not. Also, my more-than-average closeness to the Earth's core is well below any sewer you can think of.
So, you missed twice in a row. Better luck next time

Young r6d2,
Culs-de-sac/dead ends/blind alleyways, where ere we turn. How often do our pre/misconceptions and lazily illformed assumptions, lead us into such frustrating environs.

Your incorrect assumption, for example, that I am a ‘cat lover’, which, some would perceive as an insulting inference linking me genetically with Homo sapiens (than rather more accurately, a justifiably narcissistic member of the feline species,Image aka British Longhair), is to be expected, and par for the course, where human fallibility and intellectual frailties manifest themselves. However, my admiration for the feline species, in general, as a superior species, especially when compared to the human species, is widely accepted as being accurate, and taken as a given, aboard this old bucket Scrivener, and indeed... further afield... much further afield.

Given your failings and inaccuracies (which we won’t dwell on... unduly), already itemised in the above, your presumptuousness, when ascribing ownership of a ‘single implement’ toolbox/arsenal of resources, à moi, for use in the construction industries of allegorical civil engineering and literal literary endeavour, the consequences of ownership of which, are further exacerbated, according to your presentation, by a lack of perspicaciousness on the part of the wielder of the aforementioned hammer, is excused and forgiven, wholeheartedly. Please give it no more consideration.

Except to say, that apart from Oregonian Portlanders, known as Bilge rattus rattus (sewer rat or brown rat), aboard Scriv, because of their strange, ‘lurking’ behaviour, rats are the species that most of polite society would associate as indigenous to the Earth’s sewers. Except, that is, for the non-indigenous creatures: escaped pet crocodiles, terrapins, alligators, sewer management and maintenance engineering teams, pythons and anacondas.

Since we seem to have established that your role in the bowels of the earth, has no linkage, not even a tenuous one, to the bowels of the earth<----see what I did there? Clever... eh? And, there being no alluding to, by you, that the heart of your sweetheart, is the metaphorical Earth’ s core to which you refer, it must be concluded that:
a) your reluctance to actually enlighten the other crew members of Scriv, with a modest synopsis of your role underground, is indicative of an obtuse nature, possibly in the, ‘attention seeking’ mode.
b) your activities underground, if not in fact, a product of an overactive imagination, must, it seems, entail a modicum of State Secrecy... or some legal or moral code of ethics, forbidding/restraining you from any meaningful disclosure. To which we, nosey, inquisitive, curious, and vociferous members of Scriveners crew, will desist forthwith, in any further interrogation of your good self, apropos your underground activity, with the utterance, by you, of the the words, “No Comment”.

Does, you claim to the lofty position of Private Consultant, as laid out by your good self, in response Bluesman’s entreaty of, “What do you do?Just curious”, albeit bereft of any meaningful qualification on your part, raise you aloft, to the heady height attained by my Human... when others call him over and consult with him, along the lines of, “Tell us again! What the hell ’re y’ talkin’ about!?
Saint’s preserve us, just look at the time!
Fluff

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:10 pm Post

uhu wrote:On Topic:

Microsoft Word killed M$ Word 5.5 for DOS, the best text editor the word has ever seen (before Scrivener).
Therefore it deserves to die. By a horribe death please.

I actually downloaded and installed it to see what the fuss is about! It's ace! The only drawback is running it through dosbox and not being able to choose save directory.

If someone made a version that didn't require a dos emulator I'd pay. I can see why you guys rave about it.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

r6d2

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:28 pm Post

Fluff wrote:
r6d2 wrote:
Fluff wrote:[...] r6d2, is a sewer rat, I think.

So, you missed twice in a row. Better luck next time :P

[troll-like comment removed...]

I stand corrected! I forgot the I think part of your statement about me being a sewer rat.

I already clarified why you missed twice, but after your rambling, it's clear that the I think part is also wrong.

So, you missed three times in a row. :lol:

But don't despair. Better luck next time. :wink:
r6d2

--Julio Cortázar

Fluff

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:18 am Post

Young r6d2,
Once again you so beguilingly regale us with your innocence/naivety.
r6d2 wrote:But don't despair
Despair is a peculiarly human emotion. Felines, 'don't do', despair, possibly because we don't know how.
r6d2 wrote:I already comprehensively expounded upon, just exactly why you missed twice, but after your rambling, it's clear that the I think part is also wrong.
I'll take that as meaning that, in my case, cogito ergo sum, should in fact be Ego non ergo exstimes me nullo modo posse ease. That would account for my failure to communicate at a very basic level with humans.
I do wonder, young 62d2, if the human definition of 'made perfectly clear', is different form our feline one. The human definition, as employed by your good self, does seem to have more in common, with the feline definition of obsfucation. Why not, young r6d2, try your hand at elucidation, instead, and respond to the points raised, in my ramblings. It isn't that the basic building blocks of your eagerly awaited response, aren't all ready in place for you to utilise, so…go for it Rodrigo, go for it.
Fluff
PS If I may make so bold, young man…if you are scuttling around at the bottom of some very deep, long abandoned Chilean mine-shaft, with a butterfly net, trying to catch particles of dark matter, I would sincerely suggest that you return to the decks of The Good Ship of Fools, Scrivener. Dark Matter abound thereon, by the barrel loads.
Hope that helps,
Last edited by Fluff on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xiamenese

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:33 pm Post

Fluff wrote:I do wonder, young 62d2, if the human definition of 'clarified', is different form our feline one.

Dear Fluff and r6d2,

May I respectfully suggest that in view of my experience last September — involving a quantity of c…d matter and a large metal vessel of the type from which Fluff's human extracts food for Fluff when he is too incapacitated to be able to prepare Fluff's fishy-in-a-dishy properly — an event from which I am not yet fully recovered (see the first page of viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24530) that the word “c…d” be expunged from the vocabulary here. It has rather painful connotations!

:?

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Fluff

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:08 pm Post

Young Master Mark,
It pains me considerably, to see that your much anticipated and hoped for (dare I say prayed for), swift recuperation, is stalled. I wish you a speedy recovery. Rest assured, that in attempting the expeditious facilitation of your ernest request, I shall seek neither sustenance nor rest, until I have exhausted all options, and explored all avenues, culls-de-sac, dead-ends and blind alleyways, open to me. However, I wouldn't expect too much in the way of help and cooperation fromImage… he spends too much time underground to be able see adequately or clearly aboveground.
Take care Master Mark
Your good friend and well-wisher,
Fluff

xiamenese

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:15 pm Post

Esteemed Feline Fluff,

Thank you for your reply and your concern. But you write
[quote="Fluff”]… your much anticipated and hoped for (dare I say prayed for), swift recuperation, is stalled. I wish you a speedy recovery.[/quote]
In fact, it is not stalled, just slow … severed tendons take time to return to normal functioning following the necessary surgery.

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Fluff

Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:15 pm Post

Master Mark,
I have done, to the best of my, less than inspirational abilities, as I promised. Don't hold your breath waiting for C-3PO, to get his arse ( :shock: oops… sorry… rude word), in gear, and do the deed. .
Take care
Fluff