5%
Don't care for cats.
44%

Total votes: 41
ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:29 am Post

vic-k wrote:Of course you all know what they say about cats, don`t you?
Dogs treat you like one of the family, whereas cats treat you like one of the staff!

so, I take it you're a dog person then, vic?

ti
tim

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:56 am Post

Two cats: Rasputin, aptly named for both looks and character, and Bandit, the world's
most prolific hunter.

One dog: inherited from number one son whose girlfriend had the brilliant idea of
giving him a puppy one Christmas. But like most 24 year olds (at least mine) he
wasn't planning to lead a stable enough life after school to allow him to keep it.
Actually, we've grown quite fond of Jake (the dog).

Four kids: (two girls, then two boys), only one of whom, our younger son, still lives
at home. The 24-year old (Jake's real master) is in the rotating resident period
of his life. Our two girls are out and about and leading very full lives of their own.

Best to all — cat, dog, and baby lovers.

Tim

Any turtle, fish, or lizard lovers out there?
In theory, there's no difference
between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra

ha
hallogallo

Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:48 am Post

One cat, Devon Rex named Platon. We are thinking on getting another one this winter, and I guess we don't have a choice but to name him Sokrates.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:26 am Post

I used to have a cat named Marzipan, and I loved her dearly. Alas, the place where I now live does not allow pets unless you have a medical reason to own one, so I am catless. I completely agree with Janra & Katherine. Cats get an undeserved rep for being "stupid" and aloof, but it is really more about psychology than anything else (and human misunderstanding). Dogs have a more humanistic affection response, and because of their ancestry, tend to play in a manner that is more like a human child. This is largely due to, as pointed out, the fact that they are pack hunters. That is also why a healthy dog smells and a healthy cat is odourless. Dogs use the smell of each other to keep track of the pack while they are hunting. Since cats hunt alone, they do not have the advantage of numbers, and must use stealth. Their saliva acts as a deodorant and antibacterial (which is why they groom so often) and have retractable claws to further mask their presence.

This has a big impact in how they play with us. Cats are content to pounce upon something and then play with it alone once they have it in their paws, whereas dogs like to share their plunder. That said, some cats are more "dog-like" than others. Marzipan loved to play fetch with me, and she was extremely intelligent; able to open doors and was very aware of what was off-limits and what was okay to play on. As with Katherine, she would greet me when I came home, whining until I picked her up. Cats have a big "vocabulary," something around 200 to 300 different sounds, and once you learn the basics of their speech, it is possible to know their mood and what they want.

I also like how low-maintenance a cat is. With an indoor dog, it is impossible to take a weekend trip without bring them along. A cat can be left alone and it will take care of itself. They can even be toilet trained!

In context to writing, having a furry warm thing in your lap that is equipped with sharp claws and capable of giving you an angry look if you so much as move is a good way of keeping you on task! Without a cat, I tend stand up and pace a lot more. :) The only drawback is when she would try to type for me!

Sigh. I miss having a cat.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

antony

Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:54 am Post

kewms wrote:The difference between cats and dogs, IMO, is that cats are inherently independent hunters, not part of a pack. They appreciate and reciprocate affection, but it has to be on their own terms.

Ha ha. Clearly you've never tried training a Saluki ;)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:34 pm Post

janra wrote:so, I take it you're a dog person then, vic?"

Yep!! y`got me on that one, janra In fact, I think I`m even developing a bit of a soft spot for the `mangy curs` that make up the crew of the `Good Ship Scrivener`. Mind you! having said that, there`re one or two of them I wouldn`t want curled up in my lap! No way! But .... on the other hand.....???

Back on thread, Actually janra I`m a sucker for any species of animal, wild or domesticated. If I had my way, this house would be like the biblical arc. Doesn`t bear thinking about, does it! Jeeeez!

Amber and I have enough problems with our cats trying their hand (or paws), at typing. Just imagine if it was a bird-eating spider, walking across the keyboard.

Meowww Woof!!

Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Kh
Khadrelt

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:15 pm Post

I'll take a dog over a cat any day.

Except the little yappy dogs. Or poodles.
And that, my Liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped.

Ma
Margaret

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:33 pm Post

Currently, one cat and one dog, thought many of each over the years. Dogs are higher maintenance and they bark. In return, they’ll give absolute loyalty. Cats are affectionate, but they belong to themselves first. Cats observe, while dogs dive in. Dogs don’t hold much back, but cats always keep a part of themselves separate. As much as I like dogs, I have never laughed so hard as at a cat who turns its back on me because it isn’t happy with something I said or did. If a cat doesn’t see you, you don’t exist. Cats purr and there is something about the sight of a cat curled up in the sun, sound asleep, that speaks of perfect pleasure and contentment. I can’t say that I have loved one more than the other, but if I had to choose, I’d probably take the cat. On the other hand, I’ve never held back from the right dog, at the right time. Love is love, no matter what form it comes in.

Margaret

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:53 pm Post

IMHO, the best writer in the world on the subject of pets is Elizabeth Marshall Thomas. Her books, The Hidden Life of Dogs and The Tribe of Tiger, offer an anthropologist's view of why the two species are so different and why different people prefer one over the other.

Swift answer: dog = extrovert; cat = introvert

If you like animal lore, her books are a fascinating read. Why do cats rub against our legs? It's not affection, they are marking us with their scent.

alexwein

Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:33 pm Post

druid wrote:IMHO, the best writer in the world on the subject of pets is Elizabeth Marshall Thomas. Her books, The Hidden Life of Dogs and The Tribe of Tiger, offer an anthropologist's view of why the two species are so different and why different people prefer one over the other.

Swift answer: dog = extrovert; cat = introvert

If you like animal lore, her books are a fascinating read. Why do cats rub against our legs? It's not affection, they are marking us with their scent.

Mmmmm, I'm a dog lover and very much an introvert (according to every personality test taken and my own experience!). Though I liked much of the Hidden Life of Dogs. I'm the reverse of Margaret--definitely prefer dogs, but I love cats too (sans owning them--the allergy thing). Love is love. Well said.
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:13 pm Post

Hmmm. This is yer pup reporting. 711 posts, AND invitations to coffee or tea in Portland, do NOT an introvert make. Better take the tests again. :wink:

Now from Droo: Also, people vary a lot on the extro-intro scale. Some days I want company, some days not. Like Amber, I enjoy dogs but much prefer living with cats. Except for their habit of leaving fur balls where I will step in my bare feet! :cry:

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:55 pm Post

Alex, ma belle petite fleur.

My friend, the kinky electoconvulsive therapist, is just like you. She too is an introvert and she likes cats also. She has a cat called Satan, `tis a black panther! Mon dieu..Mon Dieu!

Druid mon ami, buy yourself a pair of slippers!! What are you, a hippy?!!!

Bonne nuit mes ami

Le Directeur
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Juddbert

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:23 pm Post

Ladies and Gentlemen -

Permit me to introduce -

Hettington the Fluffercat!

Need I say more? Thought not... :oops:
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 3.1.5 on macOS 10.15.6
Occasional player of the old Scappleodium...

alexwein

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:42 pm Post

druid wrote:Hmmm. This is yer pup reporting. 711 posts, AND invitations to coffee or tea in Portland, do NOT an introvert make. Better take the tests again. :wink:

No, the tests are right on. :) Introverts do not equal unfriendly or unsocial people. I like people very much and feel quite comfortable with people I know a bit, like Brett (from the forum), who is a real sweetie. Just means I need lots and lots of alone time and tend to be more inward in orientiation. And forums are an easy way to be social for ones like me with a shy streak.

Thankfully the hubbie is an extroverted type and I can just follow his lead at parties or when in situations where I don't know people.

And we both love dogs. :)

Alexandria
-Chuck Close

alexwein

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:44 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Alex, ma belle petite fleur.

My friend, the kinky electoconvulsive therapist, is just like you. She too is an introvert and she likes cats also. She has a cat called Satan, `tis a black panther! Mon dieu..Mon Dieu!

Druid mon ami, buy yourself a pair of slippers!! What are you, a hippy?!!!

Bonne nuit mes ami

Le Directeur

No, no, Monsieur Directeur, it is dogs that I love. Cats, I like except when I'm having an asthma attack from petting one. They do tend to LOVE me, however. Not sure why. Maybe it's the introvert in me they are attracted to, eh???
-Chuck Close